My grades on the Patriots' 2023 draft

gomezcat

Sniffing Ms Cat's knickers
Reaction score
Website
gomezcat.blogspot.com
As my comments will be as accurate as 99.99999999% of people who grade the draft before the picks have played an NFL down, here goes.

Pick 1: Yet a-bloody gain they ignore (insert name of any number of future Pro Bowl WRs) to take an injury prone smurf at Corner, because he shows "good intangibles". Loves his mum and goes to Church. Whoop-dee-doo.

Pick 2: 260 lb O lineman, who played one down in HS and hasn't played since. However, he's "wicked smaht". That's alright, then. We whiff on 5 future Pro Bowl tackles as Mac Jones retires in his 3rd season, having been sacked 1,000 times.

Pick 3 (trade down to 7th round): Shifty slot WR. Unheralded etc. All-Pro.

Ban gomezcat.

You forgot to mention the 2 trade downs prior to the first selection, where they bypass two future hall of famers...

I thought that once I stopped taking pain med, things would make more sense to me. But maybe I'm not that far along in my recovery that the pain meds are still having some effect after reading the OP.
I think that a GPS tracker would show that the OP was written by our British friend at a series of Pubs over a long period of time.

I thought that once I stopped taking pain med, things would make more sense to me. But maybe I'm not that far along in my recovery that the pain meds are still having some effect after reading the OP.
I think that a GPS tracker would show that the OP was written by our British friend at a series of Pubs over a long period of time.
Disturbingly, no alcohol or narcotics had been consumed when I posted this.

Typically BB draft is filled with fan outrage. He traded down for head scratching selections . Instead of following Mock drafts or media experts advice . I have loved his last 2 drafts .

Happens way too many times, spend weeks looking over draft prospects only to see BB take weird nobodies because they:
  • can play an extra 5 ST snaps a game
  • injured in college so overdraft them to look wicked smaht
  • Make up for it by finding an all pro UDFA.

Typically BB draft is filled with fan outrage. He traded down for head scratching selections . Instead of following Mock drafts or media experts advice . I have loved his last 2 drafts .
How dare you hijack my idiotic post with something sensible! 😡

It’s simple really
More Than 1 John Carroll Idiot on Staff = Sh-tty Draft

Great drafts without John Carroll idiots: 2001-2004, 2009-2012, 2021-2022

Crappy Drafts: 2005-2008, 2013-2019 when too many John Carroll college roommates were here.

Draft selections by Josh McIdiot McDaniels (just a selection, a lot more than below):
  • Laurence Maroney
  • Chad Jackson
  • Tim Tebow
  • NKeal Harry
  • Sony Michel
  • Asiasi + Keene
  • Dave Thomas + Mills

As my comments will be as accurate as 99.99999999% of people who grade the draft before the picks have played an NFL down, here goes.

Pick 1: Yet a-bloody gain they ignore (insert name of any number of future Pro Bowl WRs) to take an injury prone smurf at Corner, because he shows "good intangibles". Loves his mum and goes to Church. Whoop-dee-doo.

Pick 2: 260 lb O lineman, who played one down in HS and hasn't played since. However, he's "wicked smaht". That's alright, then. We whiff on 5 future Pro Bowl tackles as Mac Jones retires in his 3rd season, having been sacked 1,000 times.

Ban gomezcat.
I posted my 2023 Draft grades the night before SB LI. Look it up if you're interested. :coffee:

Ban gomezcat.

Don't know how I missed this for 3 days.

My God I love ya man.

Thanks for the smiles and out loud laughter causing those in the vicinity to throw looks questioning my sanity.

:wuv:

Last edited:
Happens way too many times, spend weeks looking over draft prospects only to see BB take weird nobodies because they:
  • can play an extra 5 ST snaps a game
  • injured in college so overdraft them to look wicked smaht
  • Make up for it by finding an all pro UDFA.

You just described precisely why I pay close to 0 attention to pre draft info and discussions.

For me it's like "What's the point?" 😅

I posted my 2023 Draft grades the night before SB LI. Look it up if you're interested. :coffee:

Haven't seen it. I'll look for it, probably will agree with the words "We're fucked, total disaster!"

How the he'll is that possible? Take real close look, and then tell me why you loved them, because for the life of me the only thing I can see to love is they weren't quite as bad as the previous two.

How the he'll is that possible? Take real close look, and then tell me why you loved them, because for the life of me the only thing I can see to love is they weren't quite as bad as the previous two.
Because a "good" draft is one where you turn your picks into maybe 3-4 contributors, 1-2 of whom are solid starters, 3-4 years down the line.

People's standards for what is a successful draft are insane, and wildly out of line with the historical record of what to expect for a success rate from draft picks.

Because a "good" draft is one where you turn your picks into maybe 3-4 contributors, 1-2 of whom are solid starters, 3-4 years down the line.

People's standards for what is a successful draft are insane, and wildly out of line with the historical record of what to expect for a success rate from draft picks.

Remember a graph type thing of the all the moves and players we received in the end for inexplicable, low price of a 2nd round pick for Jimmy G?

I'll try to find it.

Nails what you are saying here Flagg.

Remember a graph type thing of the all the moves and players we received in the end for inexplicable, low price of a 2nd round pick for Jimmy G?

I'll try to find it.

Nails what you are saying here Flagg.

"only about 8% of draft picks are players that really make much of a difference beyond replacement value, and only about 30% see much playing time or make a significant contribution to the team."

About half of the ~260 players drafted each year are basically useless, either never playing for the team that drafted them or barely getting any productive playing time.
Roughly 1 player per team per year produces above replacement level for more than a year or two.

You can get mad about the misses, or get real and enjoy the mysteries of player evaluation and development.

Parcells drafted Ty Law, Ted Johnson and Curtis Martin one year.

That was a good draft.
The drafts in the 70s could be considered better.

Back