Name the best 70's movie

Most of the very best have already been mentioned but...I may have missed these

Taxi Driver
Close Encounters of the Third Kind
The Exorcist
Enter The Dragon
Don't Look Now (A movie filled with manic-depressant moments) Grossly underrated movie.
Halloween and Texas Chainsaw Massacre
Yes it was very underrated.

When a Stranger Calls.

~Dee~

How about "The End". It's a great black comedy starring Burt Reynolds and Dom Deluise, that great duo.

Reynolds finds out he's terminally ill and asks Dom to try and help kill him. It's funny and sad...

theend1978film.jpg

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mitF1kpMbvg

Last edited:
Should I be concerned that I take pride in the fact that I have never watched 1 minute of any Star Wars film.

Star Wars and The Empire Strikes back are worth watching.

You can skip the rest. It was all about selling toys after that.

In regards to some other films mentioned.....Clint Eastwood and Charles Bronson....serious badasses, and they weren't the muscleheads that came around in the 80's, it was just their demeanor, their attitude. Both actors had so many great movies that would be a discussion all it's own....The Mechanic, etc.....awesome stuff.

I was always a Bronson guy, because I remembered him from The Twilight Zone, believe it or not. n(Not over Clint Eastwood, jsut a big fan of Bronson as well).

Last edited:
Excellent thread. Many of my favorites have been mentioned; two that have not:

The Last Picture Show: Coming of age movie that taps into the hopelessness of living in a small desolate town. One of my favorite Jeff Bridges movies.

Five Easy Pieces: One of Jack's best performances, and the chicken salad sandwich scene was worth the price of admission alone.

Last edited:
The movie that affected me most was Deer Hunter, had no idea what I was walking into.
Dog Day Afternoon is also memorable as I took a girl I had a crush on to it.
But for me I still have a fondness for Billy Jack.

I remember most of the other ones posted, All were were great movies
Pennsyltucky...yinz?

Another one that I love from the 70's and a true classic, Slapshot. Being a lover of hockey this was a such a good take on hockey during those days and the Hanson Brothers were hilarious. I need to watch that one again soon.

Looking at the list of movies, and actors and actresses, and directors: the 1970s really was a golden age of movie making.
I'll watch any movie from that era. There's something about it where it seems like the movies were made by adults for adults. Great stories, slow pace, time to breath etc. Look at 'Three Days of the Condor'. The pace and acting is top-notch. It also helps when you had great actors in their prime like De Niro, Pacini, Hackman, Redford, McQueen, Hoffman, Newman, Peter Fonda, Lee Marvin, Richard Dreyfuss etc etc

Star Wars and The Empire Strikes back are worth watching.
I would add the caveat that they are partially ruined thanks to Lucas, and other than purchasing 2nd hand you still can't buy/stream the original theatrical releases(AFAIK), again thanks to Lucas. Also Rogue One belongs in the same breath as New Hope and Empire.

Lucas will always have a black mark against him for his assistance on having cutesy characters on his movies. The Ewoks made ROTJ unwatchable at times. I understand the original plan was to have Wookies as the inhabitants, which would have been much more interesting. But no, George wanted Teddy bears. Same as Jar Jar Binks. And Lucas did not direct the best of those original movies, Empire.

The recent movies suffered this with BB8, which sold millions of toys but he was another cute, Ewok character. The much better Rogue One / Andor saga has better, more nuanced droids like the brilliantly sarky K-2SO.

The best thing that came out of the Ewoks was Warwick Davis and "Willow".

I must admit to being thrilled that he's back in the role on TV right now.

Back