Name the best 70's movie

Meatballsposter.jpg

One time I was working for Domino’s Pizza many years ago and I had this lady assistant manager mouthing off to me and treating me like I was a peasant.

So one day she got real nasty with me and I looked right at her and said I’m not your fucking dog! And she looked at me and said, what did you say? I said I’m not your fucking dog to kick around! She looked at me and said you swear at me like that one more time you’re out of here! I looked right at her and said oh really? I’m gonna make this very easy for you watch this I ripped my dominoes shirt right off my back, threw it on the counter and ripped all the money out of my pockets and whipped it on the counter. And I said to her, you can keep the tip you c**t!

About two months later, I ran into the female manager that happened to hire me and she was already working at a paycheck store. She said she saw the whole thing on the security camera and ended up laughing her ass off. She has the hots for me and said that I look good with no shirt on.🤣🤣🤣🤣

I sure the fuck the shit out of her…

By the way, I’ve done this more than once.🤣🤣🤣

Lucas will always have a black mark against him for his assistance on having cutesy characters on his movies. The Ewoks made ROTJ unwatchable at times. I understand the original plan was to have Wookies as the inhabitants, which would have been much more interesting. But no, George wanted Teddy bears. Same as Jar Jar Binks. And Lucas did not direct the best of those original movies, Empire.

The recent movies suffered this with BB8, which sold millions of toys but he was another cute, Ewok character. The much better Rogue One / Andor saga has better, more nuanced droids like the brilliantly sarky K-2SO.

Well, after seeing The Phantom Menace with my ex wife opening day she seems to have seen something of me in Jar Jar.

A couple of days later she stopped at a shop in the Prudential Building on her way home from work.

When she got home she walked into my office, smiled, then put a Jar Jar Binks doll on my desk and said, "This is the part of you I like". Then she put a Droppy Dog doll on the desk and said that's her.

Probably the kindest moment between us in our year and half long marriage. 🥶🥵😁

So, I guess Jar Jar served at least on purpose. :)

s-l400.jpg

s-l400(1).jpg

The list seems endless.

Ryan's Daughter not the greatest story led to mixed reviews, but stunning (oscar winning) cinematography.

Summer of 42 Another well done coming of age film, and sympathetic note on the loneliness of War .

And given the fabulous list, might I nominate this thread for Oedipus Tex?

Cheers

I was just thinking that there were so many great movies that I saw oh so many years ago, and most of them are 70's movies! The older I get, the more I realize what a great time that was for movies. Now, I was a bit young back then, but in those days, when your parents wanted to go see a movie, they brought the kids, rated R or not...especially at the drive in. I saw many of these movies in the theater as a young pre-teen in the theaters, but also many in the 80's after the fact.

Now "best movies" is very subjective, and that's fine, so tell me WHY you think your movie or movies are the best.

Name NO MORE THAN 3 movies per post!

Tell us WHY the movies are great.

I'll begin, and I am going to dodge some of the more obvious films and start with some of my personal faves, that are not "obscure" by any measure, but that I think people today may have never seen or even maybe heard of;

Network - 1976
This movie is truly timeless. I think it would be much more well known if it didn't reflect so poorly on the media industry itself. There is so much truth in this movie, about politics, about media, about corporatism, about the nature of people, audiences, and consumers..it's almost painful.
The movie closes with a famous scene that, sadly, is still just as relevant in 2022 as it was in 1976...
"I'M MAD AS HELL, AND I'M NOT GONNA TAKE IT ANY MORE!"

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MRuS3dxKK9U

Soylent Green - 1973

To me, this movie is more frightening today than it ever was to me. The plant based meats, the stories coming out about Iceland and elsewhere about how algae and bugs are the future of feeding the people....the future truly is Soylent Green.

Not going to post spoilers, but watching the movie today fills me with anxiety. It's coming. It's inevitable.

For those who don't know, the band Green Day got it's name from this film.
View attachment 14237

Jeremiah Johnson - 1972

I'm kind of a woodsy mountain type of guy, and this movie I just never, ever get tired of. Some of it is nostalgia, because it's portrayal of Native Americans is pretty stereotype, but it's a great film, a classic. Robert Redford has never been one of my favorite actors, but he has a handful of films which I just love (most recently A Walk in the Woods with Nick Nolte, great book, good movie).
Jeremiah Johnson has it all, a little western, a little Grizzly Adams, a little bushcraft and survivalism, a little comedy, a little tragedy...all of it. It is sort of a quentessential theater experience, I don't know how to explain it. It's actually become a cult classic, on it's 50th anniversary year! What a GREAT film. It is quintessential Hollywood...on par with Jaws for it's era. Superior in my mind to other great, more modern films, such as "A man called Horse" or "Dances with wolves", because it brings more authenticity to table, in regards to what it actually took to survive in the wilderness.

Here is a clip from the film that really highlights why Jeremiah Johnson is more authentic and better than the other films I mentioned.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bKUPu1epqnU

Great idea, Baron.

I am currently watching "White Nights" - it's not a 1970s movie, but it easily could have come from that era.

It stars Mikhail Baryshnikov, Gregory Hines, Helen Mirren, Geraldine Page, and Isabella Rosselini.

I've only seen it once previously, and that was when it came out.

Few movies can open with a dance sequence with no dialogue, and captivate the audience. But this one does.

I am currently watching "White Nights" - it's not a 1970s movie, but it easily could have come from that era.

It stars Mikhail Baryshnikov, Gregory Hines, Helen Mirren, Geraldine Page, and Isabella Rosselini.

I've only seen it once previously, and that was when it came out.

Few movies can open with a dance sequence with no dialogue, and captivate the audience. But this one does.

I remember that one. I only saw it ònce as well. Years ago.

One time I was working for Domino’s Pizza many years ago and I had this lady assistant manager mouthing off to me and treating me like I was a peasant.

So one day she got real nasty with me and I looked right at her and said I’m not your fucking dog! And she looked at me and said, what did you say? I said I’m not your fucking dog to kick around! She looked at me and said you swear at me like that one more time you’re out of here! I looked right at her and said oh really? I’m gonna make this very easy for you watch this I ripped my dominoes shirt right off my back, threw it on the counter and ripped all the money out of my pockets and whipped it on the counter. And I said to her, you can keep the tip you c**t!

About two months later, I ran into the female manager that happened to hire me and she was already working at a paycheck store. She said she saw the whole thing on the security camera and ended up laughing her ass off. She has the hots for me and said that I look good with no shirt on.🤣🤣🤣🤣

I sure the fuck the shit out of her…

By the way, I’ve done this more than once.🤣🤣🤣

I mean, who are you?! :rofl:

Well, after seeing The Phantom Menace with my ex wife opening day she seems to have seen something of me in Jar Jar.

A couple of days later she stopped at a shop in the Prudential Building on her way home from work.

When she got home she walked into my office, smiled, then put a Jar Jar Binks doll on my desk and said, "This is the part of you I like". Then she put a Droppy Dog doll on the desk and said that's her.

Probably the kindest moment between us in our year and half long marriage. 🥶🥵😁

So, I guess Jar Jar served at least on purpose. :)

View attachment 14276

View attachment 14277
HOV lane? :coffee:

HOV lane? :coffee:

Yep.

That would be the only sane reason for me of all people to marry a federal agent while on parole in 98.

I was doing a lot of painting work in Boston back then with my company and the Staties finally caught on that my carpool passenger was a Real Doll. Big fine for that and then it was back to over an hour in traffic on the Southeast Expressway to go 10 miles.

Do you have any idea how many beer cans it takes to pee in, in traffic to eliminate a 6 pack in the morning? Well, I do, 5. I don't know where the other one goes but it takes 5.

The wife thing worked out for about a month then she decided to start taking the Commuter Rail in outta Stoughton so she could read and not listen me speak.

😂

For the the record the only 2 things are made up here. :)

Back