Name your favorite movie of all time

Might be fun to see what everyone likes.
Name your favorite movie. ONE movie. Not a list.... and add comments about it if so inclined.

MIne: The Shawshank Redemption. Without question one of the great films. Plus I love Morgan Freeman......

Hard to pick, but these are in the running:

Good fellas
Apocalypse Now
Taxi Driver
Blade Runner
Pulp Fiction
Chinatown
No Country for Old Men
The Good the Bad and the Ugly

Jurassic Park, 1993. The first Jaws was pretty good. It's a Wonderful Life with Jimmy Stewart, another classic. Born Free, from the 60's, another classic. Brian's Song.

I'm a HUGE Movie person, watching about 5 per week and now, especially since my kids moved in, my 16 yr old and I have been watching a ton of movies together that their (oppressive) mother wouldn't allow, but this one is my favorite movie of all time.

Mickey Rourke - when he was on top. Eric Roberts performance should have won an Oscar for Best Supporting Actor and is easily the best job he's ever done in front of the camera, plus I love Mob-based plots

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1nRMXwmD84Y

The Wizard of Oz
The Truman Show and The Wizard of Oz are both metaphors for what's happening all around us. Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon and all of that jazz is some trippy shit...The Matrix (the first one) is also on the same wavelength.

Actually, there are numerous movies that tell the future ahead of time...a sort of predictive programming, along with music too.

This subject is VERY interesting imo...

My favorite: Casablanca

Comments:
  • Great leads - Humphrey Bogart, Ingrid Bergman, Paul Henreid
  • Great supporting cast: Claude Rains, Dooley Wilson, Peter Lorre, Sydney Greenstreet
  • Great writing
    • "Of all the gin joints in all the towns in all the world, she walks into mine."
    • "Round up the usual suspects."
    • “You despise me, don’t you?” “…If I gave you any thought, I probably would.”

Of course, I do have a soft soft for Arnold movies: whenever Total Recall and True Lies are being screened, I'll watch them.

And for pure fun, A Fish Called Wanda is way up on my list.

Last edited:
So many. I genuinely love Citizen Kane, it's a masterpiece and so modern for its time and Welles' performance is astonishing from young idealistic CF Kane to the old, bitter man.

Vertigo is a brilliant movie. I love The French Connection and Bullit. Can't beat those classic 70's movies, so slow-paced with great acting. Nothing more to say about the Godfather trilogy, though Goodfellas pushes it close and for me, Donnie Brasco is very underrated. Pacino is brilliant in that.

Cyrano de Bergerac, the 1990 Gerard Depardieu movie is incredible. One of the great performances and the french language never sounded so good.

Favourite Western is either The Searchers of the Wild Bunch. I'm not as big on Once Upon a Time in the West as many critics are.

So many. I genuinely love Citizen Kane, it's a masterpiece and so modern for its time and Welles' performance is astonishing from young idealistic CF Kane to the old, bitter man.

Vertigo is a brilliant movie. I love The French Connection and Bullit. Can't beat those classic 70's movies, so slow-paced with great acting. Nothing more to say about the Godfather trilogy, though Goodfellas pushes it close and for me, Donnie Brasco is very underrated. Pacino is brilliant in that.

Cyrano de Bergerac, the 1990 Gerard Depardieu movie is incredible. One of the great performances and the french language never sounded so good.

Favourite Western is either The Searchers of the Wild Bunch. I'm not as big on Once Upon a Time in the West as many critics are.

The OP wanted us to pick just one movie. But obviously we could think about genres and have a favorite sci-fi (Forbidden Planet), favorite comedy (Caddyshack), favorite animated movie (The Secret of NIMH), etc.

But I won't do that, because the OP didn't want us to give a list. :insane:

My favorite: Casablanca

Comments:
  • Great leads - Humphrey Bogart, Ingrid Bergman, Paul Henreid
  • Great supporting cast: Claude Rains, Dooley Wilson, Peter Lorre, Sydney Greenstreet
  • Great writing
    • "Of all the gin joints in all the towns in all the world, she walks into mine."
    • "Round up the usual suspects."
    • “You despise me, don’t you?” “…If I gave you any thought, I probably would.”

Of course, I do have a soft soft for Arnold movies: whenever Total Recall and True Lies are being screened, I'll watch them.

And for pure fun, A Fish Called Wanda is way up on my list.
A Fish called Wanda was side-splitting. My wife still talks about that one. Anything with Cleese and Palin in it... Kline and Curtis were awesome too.

Back