Name your favorite movie of all time

Might be fun to see what everyone likes.
Name your favorite movie. ONE movie. Not a list.... and add comments about it if so inclined.

MIne: The Shawshank Redemption. Without question one of the great films. Plus I love Morgan Freeman......

Has to be The Godfather for me.
Shawshank is a very close second.
These are definitely classics. Been watching a lot of Rounders lately. Slowly creeping into my top 5.
Awesome movie. I have some friends who are hardcore poker players. Almost any given time of day they could be playing two to five games online at the same time (there is a subculture of people that there could be a whole documentary about) and that movie is like their Bible.

I love all of them. In fact, I just rewatched Mockingbird a couple of weeks ago with my best friend cuz she had never seen it.

Great picks.
Of all the books, in my brief 3 year stint teaching English, mockingbird was great to teach and my favorite lesson plan by far.

it was the 1st Highlander film. I was in Scotland and my son wanted to see it. It was as much being with him there as it was the film. But what a great soundtrack.

I agree. A Clockwork Orange
71. My first date with Lori. Off we went to see Clock Work Orange. Violence. I'm leaving says Lori. Fine, let's go, I'll catch it later. No. You stay. It's over. I leave. She's in the lobby. Sitting on the floor. knees up. Arms folded on knees. Face buried on Arms. A 1st date for the ages. :rofl:

Cheers

catch it later.

I'm a huge Martin Scorsese fan and am surprised that he hasn't made it into this thread yet, not even from the people who posted lists instead of one movie. It's hard for me to pick just one of his films, but if it comes down to it, I have to go with Goodfellas. The energy that it unfolds with, the humor, the realism, the performances, the background music choices, all the Scorsese editing/camera technique touches. I went back to watch it 3 times in the theater in 1990 and have trouble not getting sucked in when it runs on cable.

It's fun to read Nicholas Pileggi's Wiseguy, the book it's based on, and see the choices Scorsese made in terms of which quotes to use in voiceover narration, which things to show you instead of tell you, and how. In every single case, he made the best possible choices.

Of all the books, in my brief 3 year stint teaching English, mockingbird was great to teach and my favorite lesson plan by far.
Mockingbird is my all time favorite book. Lee's writing is magical. Never have I read anyone that made dialogue so real, funny and interesting. My dad was an English teacher, retired in 1988. I work in Communications but am a lover of literature. I always say to my kids, a great writer makes you interested in a subject you have no relation to or interest in. I was born and raised in MA in the 80's. Have no relations or understanding of Alabama in 1930's and racism. I would never think to buy a historical book on this subject. When I read Mockingbird, it was like I was living in Alabama and those characters transported me to that era that I felt like I knew then personally and had strong emotions on the subject and found myself rooting for the underdog. That is genius.

Last edited:
Lots of good nominations here, but I'm going with Cool Hand Luke, because it's a little off the beaten path.

I love Paul Newman in this film. He never did a bad movie, but this one is his best. He's a good guy at heart, but has
some trouble with authority. Call it failure to communicate.

That, to me, is the heart of the movie -- somebody who just doesn't like being told what to do and refuses to follow
the damn rules no matter what the consequences. It's about indomitable spirit.

Every time I run across it I have to watch it all the way through. I generally don't watch movies over and over, but I
bet I've seen it 15 or 20 times. It a perfect film.

Back