Name Your Favorite...Whatever

TipRoast

The years teach much which the days never know.
Reaction score
We've had a "show tunes" thread. In fact, we've had many different varieties of favorite songs threads.

We've had a "name your favorite movie" thread.

We've had all sorts of "name your favorite food" threads.

This thread is a little different - it asks you to pick a genre (you're not limited to just one), and name your favorite in that category.

It might be that you're a golfer, and you'll name your favorite golf course.

It could be that you're interested in travel, and you'll name your favorite foreign country.

It could be that you're a big fan of Yojimbo movies, and you only want to concentrate on that specific subcategory of movie.

Whatever floats your boat, this is the thread to share with us what you think are the epitomes of excellence in the pursuits where you spend your time.

Maybe when you see someone else's category, you'll chime in with your favorite in it, and then go on to list a few categories and favorites of your own.

I'll get us started with a few of my favorites.

Favorite ski run name: Jaws Of Death (on Mt. Snow in VT). Runners up: Angel Street (on Loon Mountain in NH), Outer Limits (on Killington in VT), Widowmaker (on Sugarloaf in ME)

Favorite old car: 1936 Dusenberg Phaeton. Runner up: 1930 Bugatti Royale

1621060737172.png1621062589991.png

Favorite Painting: Flower Clouds, by Odilon Redon

1621061117738.png

Last edited:
We've had a "show tunes" thread. In fact, we've had many different varieties of favorite songs threads.

We've had a "name your favorite movie" thread.

We've had all sorts of "name your favorite food" threads.

This thread is a little different - it asks you to pick a genre (you're not limited to just one), and name your favorite in that category.

It might be that you're a golfer, and you'll name your favorite golf course.

It could be that you're interested in travel, and you'll name your favorite foreign country.

It could be that you're a big fan of Yojimbo movies, and you only want to concentrate on that specific subcategory of movie.

Whatever floats your boat, this is the thread to share with us what you think are the epitomes of excellence in the pursuits where you spend your time.

Maybe when you see someone else's category, you'll chime in with your favorite in it, and then go on to list a few categories and favorites of your own.

I'll get us started with a few of my favorites.

Favorite ski run name: Jaws Of Death (on Mt. Snow in VT). Runners up: Angel Street (on Loon Mountain in NH), Outer Limits (on Killington in VT), Widowmaker (on Sugarloaf in ME)

Favorite old car: 1936 Dusenberg Phaeton. Runner up: 1930 Bugatti Royale

View attachment 3675View attachment 3683

Favorite Painting: Flower Clouds, by Odilon Redon

View attachment 3678

I love Loon. Learned to ski and snowboard there. When I went to private school we went half days in the winter and those that chose skiing as our sports spent every day after school at Loon. It's still my favorite in NH.

Doesn't hurt that I get to hang with an out of reach there during the winters now.

My favorite nightmare is Middie50something71orsomething.

"You are my favorite nightmare" :rofl:

View: https://youtu.be/mKU3yt8F8P0

On a more serious note, I am passionate about classic literature and my favorite author from them is beautifully souled, Victor Hugo.

1621064321109.png

Passionate about philosophy.

Favorite thinkers.

Aristotle

Locke (duh :) )

The Founders

Ayn Rand

Isabel Paterson

Rose Lane-Wilder etc.

All predicated on Aristotle's foundational work and formulations whether implicit or not.

Last edited:
Favorite painting.

Looking at it right now hanging on my bedroom wall.

The inspirational sight of a woman and in pure existential joy.

Ecstacy by Maxfield Parris

1621064733243.png

My favorite woman on the planet. OK, this one needs a runner-up because I have two the I absolutely have adored for many years and I can't have either one.

The woman I love more than any others I know. My love and soulmate who is beautiful in every way to me but very private so I won't post a pic.

And the runner up. Intellectual beauty with an ever-seeking mind packed into a tiny 4'11" package of hawtnesss. We have the most incredible discussions even 30 years after we broke up. My number 1 love laughs and says I collect exes. LMAO.

189242_1788901435981_1516258_n.jpg

Favorite painting.

Looking at it right now hanging on my bedroom wall.

The inspirational sight of a woman and in pure existential joy.

Ecstacy by Maxfield Parris

View attachment 3686
I love that one. And besdies the usual suspects, a pairing of Morning and Stars. Loved Parrish's works. When I traveled to SF for word, I stopped by Alma Gilbert's shop/gallery in Burlingame with all things Parrish, and I once spent a night in the St Regis in NYC basically for my wife and I to view the Old King Cole mural in the old bar.

I used to have a large collection of Parrish and Arthur Rackam books, but sold most to partially fund a long European backpack trip with my wife as a retirement present (my favorite trip, which I should list here :) )

Favorite snack cake: Drake's RingDings. Runners up: Hostess Twinkies, Table Talk mini-pies

1621330638045.png1621330705315.png1621331071312.png

RingDings used to come wrapped in foil, and part of the enjoyment was the unwrapping and the smoothing out of the foil wrapper.

Favorite snack cake: Drake's RingDings. Runners up: Hostess Twinkies, Table Talk mini-pies

View attachment 3789View attachment 3790View attachment 3792

RingDings used to come wrapped in foil, and part of the enjoyment was the unwrapping and the smoothing out of the foil wrapper.
When I was a little kid, heading off to the YMCA day camp (Age 8ish?), each morning with a brown bag with my sandwhich, my little bag of chips and my table talk apple pie. (y)

Cheers

Favorite ice cream flavor: Orange Pineapple

Erickson's, on Rte 117 near the Maynard-Stow line, has lots of wonderful flavors. I'll occasionally go with something else when I'm there, but most often I'll stick with my favorite.

Ski Mountain town - Aspen
Ski run - Regulator Johnson, Snowbird
Best view from the top - Vail's back bowls, Aspen Highlands

Favorite foods
Soup - Bouillabaisse, Gumbo
entree - Braised Short Ribs with root veggies over creamy Carnaroli Risotto
Seafood - Salmon, Shrimp 'n Grits
Salad - Caprese
Dessert - Sticky Toffee Pudding & Bananas Foster (N. Orleans style)

Dog Breeds - Golden Retrievers, Corgis, Mini Aussies
Cat Breeds - Scottish Fold, Maine Coon

Fav. Restaurant - Cafe Budapest, Boston (no longer there) Stroganoff and Gundel Pancake were to die for

Favorite antique car - Mercedes 500K Cabriolet
57068142fa0cc2ad8cae5f14cdbb2749.jpg

Favorite Sports Car - Mercedes 300 SL Gullwing
mercedes-benz_300_sl_gullwing_03450_0068_03_01_45-1600x1200_crop.jpg

Fav. Muscle Car - Chevy SS 454 (duh)

1970-Chevrolet-Chevelle-SS_Web_1200x1200.jpg

Back