Name Your Favorite...Whatever

My favorite western of all time - For a Few Dollars More. Clint Eastwood, Lee Van Cleef, and Gian Maria Volonte'.

Directed by the incomparable Sergio Leone, incredible theme music by Ennio Morricone.

Here's the final shoot out, LVC kept a bitter secret from Clint until the very end of the movie:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0JPnR7C8mZQ

Following up on some of the ideas Chevss454 introduced in his excellent post:

Favorite seafood: Scallops. Runner-up: One of the best meals I ever had was linguine in clam sauce, with shrimp. But it was after a long day of skiing at Smuggler's Notch, so I think perhaps extreme hunger may have influenced my sensory experience.

Favorite restaurant (chain): Ruth's Chris Steak House. I've been to a couple (Baltimore, Honolulu) and I always order a huge sizzling tenderloin swimming in melted butter. Expensive, but worth it to me.

Favorite restaurant (breakfast): Eggs n' Things. In Honolulu - poached eggs on toast with grilled swordfish and a couple of cups of 100% Kona Coffee. It's been a long time since I was there; I think they're still in business but I don't know if they're still worth a visit.

Number Cruncher introduced the favorite author topic. That's a broad topic and for me to chime in on it will require a little work, because I want to break it down by genre. I'll need some time to get to all the genres I care about, but let's start with these two:

Favorite author (science-fiction): Robert Heinlein. So many classics by one author: The Moon Is A Harsh Mistress. Stranger In A Strange Land. Starship Troopers. Tunnel In The Sky. Citizen Of The Galaxy. And he was equally good writing short fiction.

Favorite author (playwright): William Shakespeare. My favorite is The Tempest. His best is King Lear, IMHO. The most fun to see are Taming Of The Shrew and A Midsummer's Night Dream. Macbeth is terrific, as is Julius Caesar, and the "band of brothers" speech from Henry V will live on forever, I think.

Last edited:
My favourite:

Golf Course - Glen Abbey
Car - Porsche 928 GTS (5-speed)
Board Game - Catan
Obsession - Hi-end audio
Hobby - Brewing beer
Beer - Cuvee van de Keizer Blauw
Bass Guitar - Warwick Thumb (5 string)
Electric Guitar - ES 330

My favorite beer - Cold Smoke:

Attachments

• Cold Smoke Scotch Ale.png
    Cold Smoke Scotch Ale.png
    898.8 KB · Views: 2
Favorite author (main stream fiction): Herman Wouk. I can't think of a better Bildungsroman novel than The Caine Mutiny. And The Winds Of War and War and Remembrance are also WW2 classics. (If you're looking for a great book about World War 1, Mark Helprin's A Soldier Of The Great War is worth your time.)

The mainstream genre was a tough one for me to come to a decision on. I've read a lot of Tom Clancy, John Grisham, David Baldacci. I also enjoy John Sanford's books about Lucas Davenport and Virgil Flowers. When I first became an inveterate reader, I was into James Michener for a while. I loved Ayn Rand's The Fountainhead. And there are many, many other authors whose works I have enjoyed (e.g. The Sot-Weed Factor, by John Barth).

The only runner-up in this category that I will list is John Irving. I haven't read too many of his (three or four); of those I've read, the The Cider House Rules is the most wonderful.

Ski Mountain town - Aspen
Ski run - Regulator Johnson, Snowbird
Best view from the top - Vail's back bowls, Aspen Highlands

Favorite foods
Soup - Bouillabaisse, Gumbo
entree - Braised Short Ribs with root veggies over creamy Carnaroli Risotto
Seafood - Salmon, Shrimp 'n Grits
Salad - Caprese
Dessert - Sticky Toffee Pudding & Bananas Foster (N. Orleans style)

Dog Breeds - Golden Retrievers, Corgis, Mini Aussies
Cat Breeds - Scottish Fold, Maine Coon

Fav. Restaurant - Cafe Budapest, Boston (no longer there) Stroganoff and Gundel Pancake were to die for

Favorite antique car - Mercedes 500K Cabriolet
57068142fa0cc2ad8cae5f14cdbb2749.jpg

Favorite Sports Car - Mercedes 300 SL Gullwing
mercedes-benz_300_sl_gullwing_03450_0068_03_01_45-1600x1200_crop.jpg

Fav. Muscle Car - Chevy SS 454 (duh)

1970-Chevrolet-Chevelle-SS_Web_1200x1200.jpg
Ski Mountain town - Park City, Utah
Ski run - STH (Steeper Than Hell), Snowbird
Best view from the top - Eagles Nest - Vail

Favorite foods
Soup - Clam Chowder, Onion Soup
entree - Ruth's Chris Filet
Seafood - Blackened swordfish
Salad - Michigan Cherry
Dessert - Heated (not microwaved) Grand Marnier. Yes, for me that is desert.

Dog Breeds - Golden Doodle (see below)
Cat Breeds - None. We have two mutts.

Fav. Restaurant - The River Crab on the St. Clair river south of Lake Huron and before Lake St. Clair

Favorite antique car - 1971 Buick Riviera (it is over 50 years old)
Fav. Muscle Car - Chevy SS 454 (duh) I agree with Chev

Attachments

• tempImageWJy9Ui.png
    tempImageWJy9Ui.png
    784.1 KB · Views: 7
Spicy Pepper: Birds Eye Chilis. Runners up: Ghost Peppers, Scotch Bonnets, Cayennes.
Good topic. I grow and use a wide variety of hot peppers, Never tried Birds eye. Given up on ghosts (a bit too much for most of my friends), Habenero and scotch Bonnet are my old mainstay for heat (and flavor) (make a large supply of the Jamaican style mustard and mango hot sauce from both every year), Cayennes, Serano, thai bird, Jalapeno (not very hot but make a wonderful popper with cheese and Mexican chorizo and countless different varieties which change year to year, Lori loves a not hot variety called Shishito that we sear hard in a hot cast iron skillet w/olive oil. Salt liberally and eat as ap whille still hot. Very nice.

More than you need to know, but...
Cheers

Favourite restaurants in US (we've not been to New England yet. It's on the list).

Breakfast: Java Lava Coffee, Granby, CO

Pizza: Juliana's, Brooklyn. Under the bridge.

Kosher deli: Pastrami Queen, Upper East Side.

Old style 1950s Diner: Jax in Truckee, CA.

Best British style restaurant: McDonald's. You guys do a pretty good imitation of our famous hamburger chain.

Favourite restaurants in US (we've not been to New England yet. It's on the list).

Breakfast: Java Lava Coffee, Granby, CO

Pizza: Juliana's, Brooklyn. Under the bridge.

Kosher deli: Pastrami Queen, Upper East Side.

Old style 1950s Diner: Jax in Truckee, CA.

Best British style restaurant: McDonald's. You guys do a pretty good imitation of our famous hamburger chain.

🤣

Aloyouis mentioned Grand Marnier, so that prompted this entry.

Favorite mixed drink (summer): Grapefruit Negroni

Favorite mixed drink (winter): Flaming Irish Coffee

We make the Flaming Irish Coffee by heating up Grand Marnier (or Cointreau, or Triple Sec) and putting it in a ladle. Then we turn out the lights, ignite the heated liqueur, and then pour it on the coffee/whiskey/whipped cream, gradually increasing the height of the pour until the ladle is about 18" above the coffee mug.

We used to order these at Ephraim's, a restaurant in Sudbury where Paul Broadnax would perform in the basement jazz club on weekends. That's where we picked up the "waterfall of flame" technique. That was a long time ago.

Last edited:
Favourite walks and views:

- along the River Thames, Eastwards from The Houses of Parliament to the Tower of London.

- Greenwich Park, looking North over the Thames.

- the view of Manhattan on the ferry to/from Staten Island/Statue of Liberty.

- View from Montmartre in Paris.

- The Rocky Mountain National Park at dawn. Bloody amazing.

- The Hofburg, Vienna, lit up at night. I spent a semester there in 1992 and I was awestruck when I first saw it.

Favorite foods
Soup - Bouillabaisse, Gumbo
entree - Braised Short Ribs with root veggies over creamy Carnaroli Risotto
Seafood - Salmon, Shrimp 'n Grits
Salad - Caprese
Dessert - Sticky Toffee Pudding & Bananas Foster (N. Orleans style)

Dog Breeds - Golden Retrievers, Corgis, Mini Aussies
Cat Breeds - Scottish Fold, Maine Coon

Fav. Restaurant - Cafe Budapest, Boston (no longer there) Stroganoff and Gundel Pancake were to die for

Favorite antique car - Mercedes 500K Cabriolet
57068142fa0cc2ad8cae5f14cdbb2749.jpg

Favorite Sports Car - Mercedes 300 SL Gullwing
mercedes-benz_300_sl_gullwing_03450_0068_03_01_45-1600x1200_crop.jpg

Fav. Muscle Car - Chevy SS 454 (duh)

1970-Chevrolet-Chevelle-SS_Web_1200x1200.jpg
I could probably go with most of that ....

except

I’m going with Banff just saying lol. They’re a ton of runs I loved but the helicopter run at Banff was my fave by far of anything ever.

~Dee~

Favorite big city: Adelaide, South Australia

I may someday amend this choice after I retire and perhaps do some more traveling. I haven't been to Rome yet, nor any Asian or African cities, and only one South American city.

Runners-up based on only one multi-day visit: Amsterdam, Montreal, Paris.

Runner-up based on having lived there: San Diego.

Favorite big city: Adelaide, South Australia

I may someday amend this choice after I retire and perhaps do some more traveling. I haven't been to Rome yet, nor any Asian or African cities, and only one South American city.

Runners-up based on only one multi-day visit: Amsterdam, Montreal, Paris.

Runner-up based on having lived there: San Diego.
Me too. I've travelled in Europe, been to the US, Morocco and Turkey, but that's it.

I would like to see South America and parts of Asia (Japan and South Korea, in particular).

Back