Neat trick! What does your playlist say about you?

Flagg the Wanderer

Mourning Algernon
Reaction score
So I reconnected with an old friend of mine from college recently, and yesterday he introduced me to a guy who had a pretty neat trick. This guy would take a random sampling from your playlist, and a request for a smaller sample from a subset. From that he would tell you within a Five-year window when you were born, and at least one or two other categories that you might fit into.

Conceptually, at its simplest level, it seems pretty straightforward. Songs come out in certain years, at different points in your life you'll appreciate the songs more or less. My tastes are pretty eclectic, so I thought I could trip him up a bit. I did muddy the waters some but I was still pretty impressed at what I got back.

I put my playlist on shuffle and gave him the first 25 songs that popped up. I'm dictating this from the road, so I don't have the list accessible, but I can give you some details here and there further down. After he looked this over, he requested a random sampling of 15 songs where the band started with G.

This is what I got back:

Born: 1974 to 1978 - I was born in 77.
Geography: From (or identifies with) Boston area/New England – educated guess.
Education: college or better - Moderately confident.
Family: has at least one older sibling, likely significantly older - Confident guess.
Activities and personality: likely in a band and/or drama - very passionate, particularly as a teenager. Idealistic, but with a very aggressive streak.

Pretty cool stuff, mostly on target.

So I reconnected with an old friend of mine from college recently, and yesterday he introduced me to a guy who had a pretty neat trick. This guy would take a random sampling from your playlist, and a request for a smaller sample from a subset. From that he would tell you within a Five-year window when you were born, and at least one or two other categories that you might fit into.

Conceptually, at its simplest level, it seems pretty straightforward. Songs come out in certain years, at different points in your life you'll appreciate the songs more or less. My tastes are pretty eclectic, so I thought I could trip him up a bit. I did muddy the waters some but I was still pretty impressed at what I got back.

I put my playlist on shuffle and gave him the first 25 songs that popped up. I'm dictating this from the road, so I don't have the list accessible, but I can give you some details here and there further down. After he looked this over, he requested a random sampling of 15 songs where the band started with G.

This is what I got back:

Born: 1974 to 1978 - I was born in 77.
Geography: From (or identifies with) Boston area/New England – educated guess.
Education: college or better - Moderately confident.
Family: has at least one older sibling, likely significantly older - Confident guess.
Activities and personality: likely in a band and/or drama - very passionate, particularly as a teenager. Idealistic, but with a very aggressive streak.

Pretty cool stuff, mostly on target.

So how do we get in on the fun?

So what does not having a playlist say about you?

No playlist:

Born: N/A
Education: N/A
Siblings: Thousands
Souls: None
Reflections in mirrors: None

You're a vampire. That'll be $4.95

When he says playlist, it must be on one of those newfangled electronic devices? Ipod, Ipad, etc,none of which I own, or really care to.

Do have several hundred songs in my XBOX LastFM playlist...does that count?

Come on, how do we play? I wan`t to stump, like you do to the guy who guesses your weight at the Amusement park.

I'm curious what a playlist ranging from Pachebel's Cannon to Elvis to Slayer to Cradle Of Filth says about me.

Where do I sign up? :)

I don't believe this guy could tell me the same stuff he did Flagg with any accuracy at all.

I'd love to know WHAT playlist he would sample and what a "subset" means, but I'm a skeptic. I think I have about 40 playlists and they run the gamut.

My musical tastes are just too varied, eclectic and just plain cool for him to nail me down. Too bad it isn't a program or website so I could put up or shut up.

I'd be agreeing with Hawg, my playlist is everything from Adele to Zappa, with a few Gregorian chants thrown in.
I have a friend who is 60 and totally into headbanging rock, I'd bet he would throw MD's friend a curve.....

I wonder what my playlist of disturbed, linking park, shinedown & Metallica says about me.

My phone has my music on it. And it's really cool in that it will auto select a type of songs to play after I choose a song. It's not an auto shuffle.

So what does this say about me? :shrug:

My songs start with Tony Bennett and Frank Sinatra and stop with Adele and a few others. It should say that my phone is about a year old.
Posted via Mobile Device

I would guess that it says you are shiny, metallic and have been linked to the disturbed.

:coffee:

Fvcking hilarious.

ROFL

I'd love to have a link for this guy. Kinda like when everyone on the Texans board drew pigs with their mouse's. Not really LIKE that but sorta. Tons of fun.
Posted via Mobile Device

Fvcking hilarious.

ROFL

I'd love to have a link for this guy. Kinda like when everyone on the Texans board drew pigs with their mouse's. Not really LIKE that but sorta. Tons of fun.
Posted via Mobile Device

Texans' fans can draw pigs with a mouse? We're doooomed :eek:hnoez:

Back