NFL CBA - June 1 designation **NEW**

Ras

Prolate Spheriod Fan
Reaction score
from John Clayton - ESPN

June 1 designations: One of the changes in the free agent system, thanks to the new CBA, is called post June 1 designations. Under the new system, teams have the ability to designate two players for June 1 release now in order to spread remaining signing bonus proration into next year. Each team is allowed two designations per season. Already, two teams have taken advantage of the system. The Ravens designated tackle Orlando Brown as a June 1 casualty. The Texans did the same with defensive end Gary Walker. Both players are free to sign with other teams now, but they will remain on the teams' cap sheets on June 1. On June 1, their cap numbers will be cleared off. The union was able to get a victory in getting players who are released for cap reasons into the early part of free agency to maximize their value.

Because of the late start to free agency, teams are giving a one-year grace period on the June 1 designations. They can name their two players at any time before June 1. Next year and in the remaining five years of the CBA, teams have to make their decision before the start of free agency.

Well, that is kinda cool I guess.

No more blood baths on June 1st.

Undertaker #59 said:
Well, that is kinda cool I guess.

No more blood baths on June 1st.
so no 2nd wave of players expected to be released - damn I was hoping to see a few released

teams could still hold players (moulds) to spite them and keep them from getting the money and release them

mikiemo83 said:
so no 2nd wave of players expected to be released - damn I was hoping to see a few released

teams could still hold players (moulds) to spite them and keep them from getting the money and release them

Backwards Mikie

They release them NOW and get the same cap benefits as if they kept them until June 1

Benign Despot said:
Backwards Mikie

They release them NOW and get the same cap benefits as if they kept them until June 1
yeah I know but in the case of Moulds, for example, I think the Bills holding on to him until the money is gone appears to be the Agenda.

Moulds wants to be cut loose and the Bills appear to be taking their time so he doesn't get that big pay day.

That 2nd wave in June was a good Value signing typically, now the players are available early and are searching for more money thus dropping the value of the signing

Back