NFL goes to a 17 game season

Roberto71

Reaction score
Players not happy about this.

We will get the Cowboys coming to Gillette in the 2021 season as the 17th game.

Exv7_-IXEAY_ahm

Player safety is the NFL's number one priorBAHAHAHAHAHAHA oh man, I almost got through that without laughing.
its not that bad... just shifting the 4th preseason game to the regular season... minus the playoffs, there's still only 20 games to be played ...

and player safety is of no real concern for the owners outside of "will this injury affect my wins/loses"... paying for the results of having no real player safety protocols is though...

its not that bad... just shifting the 4th preseason game to the regular season... minus the playoffs, there's still only 20 games to be played ...

and player safety is of no real concern for the owners outside of "will this injury affect my wins/loses"... paying for the results of having no real player safety protocols is though...
Ok Roger.

Extra week of football? I'm cool with it

Someone had an idea back in the day to add a 17th game, but make it so players could only play 16 games max in the regular season. I think that'd be kinda neat, add even more strategy into the season and preserve the level of player safety.

But, the NFL would never go for it because a star missing a game would cost them ratings.

While we all should have known this was coming, their execution is pretty terrible. You'll add an inter conference week at the end of the season when there's a lot of playoff implications on the line. That is, unless the week prior a lot of them were settled. This turns a lot of games into glorified scrimmages. If a team already made the playoffs and have no way of getting a bye week or go up in the rankings, why bother with this throw-away game?

While we all should have known this was coming, their execution is pretty terrible. You'll add an inter conference week at the end of the season when there's a lot of playoff implications on the line. That is, unless the week prior a lot of them were settled. This turns a lot of games into glorified scrimmages. If a team already made the playoffs and have no way of getting a bye week or go up in the rankings, why bother with this throw-away game?
The other way of looking at that example is it gives that team a chance to play their younger players against starters, giving their own starters the equivalent of a bye week.

And it's better than the 4th preseason game.

We can fix that with an 18 game season.....
Yes, and expand the league to 36 teams. Two conferences, with three 6-team divisions.

Each team plays the other teams in its division twice. That's 10 games. Six more games from a division in the other conference, that makes 16 games. Then one game with a team from each of the other two divisions in your own conference, based on the same position in the standings as the prior year. Such as schedule would have a similar "balanced property" as the current 16-game schedule - 3 games against 1st place teams, 3 games against 2nd place teams, etc.

Division winners plus four wild-cards make the playoffs. Best record in the conference gets a bye.

Four new franchises paying for the right to come into the league means a lot of money for the existing owners. St. Louis and San Diego are two obvious locations for the league to return to. Other cities/areas that could be considered include Oklahoma City and Portland. Or (sacrilege) London.

Back