No Charges Will Be Filed Against Deshaun Watson

Now Watsons' year one salary is a pittance of 1 mil right? I think he should sue and be delayed about a year and then have to serve his suspension during a lucrative year. In the end the precedent is set that the NFL can do as it sees fit.

Judge: So there is a negotiated disciplinary process agreed upon by the NFL and NFLPA?
Watson's Lawyers: Yes, your honor.
Judge: And that process was followed in this case?
Judge: Then..... what is the basis for your case?

Iow, the threat of a lawsuit is an attempt to lessen Watson's suspension. There is no way for Watson to prevail in court in such a lawsuit.
That's been predetermined by negotiation just as it was for Brady/deflategate.

Looks like the Texans can get a break.
John Metchie, who was on my draft board, has leukemia and certainly won't play this year. We wish him well with his treatment.

metbinks they are floating trial balloons to see backlash before decision made. to wit:
The CBA gives the league power to do whatever it wants with regard to punishment. The CBA spells that out very clearly.
Under the CBA, that decision is placed in the hands of former U.S. District Court Judge Sue Robinson, who has been chosen by the NFL and NFL Players Association to act as an impartial arbitrator in disciplinary cases.
Here's the kicker: the league can increase any suspension she doles out unless she rules NO suspension. If she says 6 games, Goodell can make it 12 or 15 or whatever he wants.
If she rules against any suspension, Goodell can't suspend him at all.

If the NFLPA appeals the suspension they won't win because the process was followed to the letter.

Judge: So there is a negotiated disciplinary process agreed upon by the NFL and NFLPA?
Judge: And that process was followed in this case?
Judge: Then..... what is the basis for your case?

Iow, there is no way for Watson to prevail in court in such a lawsuit.
That's been predetermined by negotiation just as it was for Brady/deflategate.

thanks for the detail...all i knew was the part about if she decided no punishment rog couldn't impose any , but he can adjust hers. that's why i was thinking trial balloon.

Back