Non MassHoles Try To Pronounce MassHole Town Names

Send them all straight up Woods Hole.

The comment about the English is right, they have some very strange pronunciations.

For instance, this constituent college of Oxford, Magdelen College. How would you pronounce it? If any US people get it right, I'll know you Googled it.

There is a Leominster in England as well, but they say it like Lem-ster.

Maximum points for this one: Cholmondeley.

I have friends who live in Peabiddy and Woobin. (Peabody and Woburn).

My wife is from Taunton and they have a strange pocket of dialect. I can't even write a phonetic. Tunh (pause) ehn. They drop not only R's but
T's from the middle of words and substitute a brief pause. There is a kih-en with mih-ens in Tunh-en. There is a kitten with mittens in Taunton.

I like baked, stuffed quahogs which are pronounced Co-hogs round here. Simple and correct. In Rhode Island they become Kworh-haworhgs. Almost impossible
accent to duplicate. Like New York on steroids. Great fun to ask them to pronounce certain words.

I have friends who live in Peabiddy and Woobin. (Peabody and Woburn).

My wife is from Taunton and they have a strange pocket of dialect. I can't even write a phonetic. Tunh (pause) ehn. They drop not only R's but
T's from the middle of words and substitute a brief pause. There is a kih-en with mih-ens in Tunh-en. There is a kitten with mittens in Taunton.

I like baked, stuffed quahogs which are pronounced Co-hogs round here. Simple and correct. In Rhode Island they become Kworh-haworhgs. Almost impossible
accent to duplicate. Like New York on steroids. Great fun to ask them to pronounce certain words.
Born and raised in Glosta

Cape Caahd Towns prahnun-see-ashahns....

Sandwich = San-witch

Falmouth = Fall-muth

Cotuit = Caah-too-it

Osterville = Oss-tahvil

Centerville = Senn-taahvil

Barnstable = Baahn-stibble

Hyannis = High-anus

Yarmouth = Yaah-muth

Harwich = Haah-witch

Brewster = Brew-staah

Chatham = Chat-um / Chat-im
(but must be spoken w/ an Effete Upper Claah-shish dialect - mouth almost closed while swallowing the word)

Eastham = East-um / East-im

Provincetown = P-Town

Towns Pronounced just the way they look so you cant miss
Boune / Mashpee / Orleans / Wellfleet / Truro

(but must be spoken w/ an Effete Upper Claah-shish dialect - mouth almost closed while swallowing the word)
I spent last weekend on the Cape and it is my belief that it is the epicenter for phony pretentiousness in New England.

Not to dump on the whole place, because it isn't all like that, but I know a woman that had a nice-but-nothing-great house in Ostahville and she feels
like that gives her free license to talk exactly like Lovey Howell. It does not. And don't get me started on those New York imports who think New Seabury is the heighth of class.

Claaahhhhhs. Rhymes with aahhhhhssss.

Cape Cod. Beautiful place, but when you cross that bridge it can be a metaphorical transition. And I always feel relieved when I cross back over to my world.

Not you, RG, because you wouldn't put on airs like you hung out with the Kennedys (back when that was still cool), but you know what I'm saying.

We feel the same way about Massholes trying to pronounce the cities and towns here in Maine.
Bust their bust their balls every chance we get.

We feel the same way about Massholes trying to pronounce the cities and towns here in Maine.
Bust their bust their balls every chance we get.
in 2019 I spent two nights at the most remote lake in Maine and east of the Mississippi, Lake Wassataquoik.

We say it Wha-sah-tah-kwok which we think is right but we're still not sure.

And that isn't really all that bad compared to a lot of places in Maine. Nesowadnehunk is a good one.

I think that is Micmac for "sends messages to the Jets"

Sandwich = San-witch

Falmouth = Fall-muth

Cotuit = Caah-too-it

Osterville = Oss-tahvil

Centerville = Senn-taahvil

Barnstable = Baahn-stibble

Hyannis = High-anus

Yarmouth = Yaah-muth

Harwich = Haah-witch

Brewster = Brew-staah

Eastham = East-um / East-im

Provincetown = P-Town

Towns Pronounced just the way they look so you cant miss
Boune / Mashpee / Orleans / Wellfleet / Truro
Can I ask a question?? WTF is wrong with people from up there??

Can I ask a question?? WTF is wrong with people from up there??

Don't start with us. I was just up in the Finger Lakes and every time somebody said the word "salad" I flinch.

Seeyah-lid.

That is just not right.

:parry:
It took a bit to get use to it but my fave is Leominster 😂.

Now I’m not going to lie Chichester in NH is another fun one lol

~Dee~

Don't start with us. I was just up in the Finger Lakes and every time somebody said the word "salad" I flinch.

Seeyah-lid.

That is just not right.

:parry:
That would make me flinch, too. That Downstate (NY) Accent is the most annoying there is. Fortunately, Western NY spent generations losing it.
As for Boston, I always knew about Worcester, going back to the first time I went up there to work, but sheeesh! It seems like there's actual intent to avoid all grammatical pronunciations whenever possible. lmao.

Back