Non MassHoles Try To Pronounce MassHole Town Names

Er... as an Englishman watching that, you guys definitely pronounce some of those incorrectly.

Haverhill, I think, is pronounced HAYvuh- Hill and Leominster is LEM-stuh.
it's HAY-vrill

it's LEM-in-STUH

faah faahksakes lern ta speek US American, The World's OFFICIAL English lang-witch :cool:

and BTW, Happy day-before The Earth Stood Still, 245th Anniversary of the underrated Minutemen's Victory ovah the supposedly superior Redcoated Numptys :p

Nobody.

Good Will Hunting is a pretty good movie with some flaws, including Robin Williams' painful attempt at a Boston accent.

About the only actor that got it right in a movie and wasn't from Mass. was Johnny Depp in "Blow". The guy nailed it, in my opinion, because
he figured out that we tend to slightly de-emphasize the famous "ahhhh" sound, especially when there are two Rs in a word. Hah-bah (harbor). You take a little off
the second syllable. Everybody else thinks about it coming, gives it a little too much "ahhh" and it never quite sounds authentic.

Mark Ruffalo was really good in "What Doesn't Kill You", too, but nobody saw that one.

Speaking of prom night, there is a great local comic named Christine Hurley who does a good bit about her Honeymoon.

She and her husband were staying in a bungalow on some Caribbean beach feeling like she
was really in an exotic port o'call and preparing to get busy when a female in the one next door
started yelling "Fuck me hahdah, Mahk!!!!" ......and that totally killed the mood.

However, that accent was recently ranked as the 2nd sexiest in the US (trailing Texas). The Providence twang
ranked 38th, although I'm sure BeagleBay has a legion of fans down the Cape.

What about The Departed? There was some good accents in that, not sure about Mat Damon's Southie accent though in that. Wahlberg obviously can do it. Fair play to Jack Nicholson, he didn't try and insult everyone by putting on a Boston accent!

What about The Departed? There was some good accents in that, not sure about Mat Damon's Southie accent though in that. Wahlberg obviously can do it. Fair play to Jack Nicholson, he didn't try and insult everyone by putting on a Boston accent!
Damon is from Cambridge, MA so he should be able to do a Southie accent

Drove on Route 1 in Wells yesterday. Don't know what is thicker up here, misquotes or Massholes.

it's HAY-vrill

it's LEM-in-STUH

faah faahksakes lern ta speek US American, The World's OFFICIAL English lang-witch :cool:

and BTW, Happy day-before The Earth Stood Still, 245th Anniversary of the underrated Minutemen's Victory ovah the supposedly superior Redcoated Numptys :p
Victory? More like a sensible tactical withdrawal on our part! We realised that you lot would invent grits and country music, and thought "Nah! You can bloody keep it".

Most fascinating accent in the US for me is the New Orleans accent. The genuine one. Not like a southern accent at all, but it's basically Brooklynese. Apparently they had the same ethnic history and make up which saw the two similar accents develop.

Massholes aren't the worst.
It's the Quebecers. The Boy King of Canada is going to open the border this month.
I fear they will be pouring over the border like Whitewalkers.

Er... as an Englishman watching that, you guys definitely pronounce some of those incorrectly.

Haverhill, I think, is pronounced HAYvuh- Hill and Leominster is LEM-stuh.

My guess? The Massachusetts pronunciations are closer to how they were pronounced back in the day.
Grew up in close proximity to Haverhill. you have the first two syllables perfect but the h in hill is replaced with an r, HAYvuhrill. The h in hill is silent but the r is to transition out the vuh.
LEHminster is about how we grew up with it, and keep in mind, we stole these asshat names from you pompous pervs!

Most fascinating accent in the US for me is the New Orleans accent. The genuine one. Not like a southern accent at all, but it's basically Brooklynese. Apparently they had the same ethnic history and make up which saw the two similar accents develop.
Cajun or Creole? I like the Creole myself...

~Dee~

cajun is my fave. it's funny because i am not enamored of the french language. but i 💓 cajuns

Back