Nostalgic Music Thread

Wow, I hadn't heard that Steve Gadd and Billy Cobham were no longer with us. 😁

I hear ya but Danny is something amazing. After Neil Peart died sadly Danny became my number 1.

I thought I would expand a little on the discussion that johnlocke kicked off with his comment about Tool's drummer Danny Carey.

At the highest levels, of course, it's all a matter of taste. I'm not all that into the metal division of rock (Mrs. TR is the headbanger in the family), but I did listen to a few Tool songs beyond the one I knew (Parabol/Parabola). And Mr. Carey is quite good, but I can't say he's better than some of my favorite drummers.

Who are they? I've already mentioned Steve Gadd and Billy Cobham, but Carmine Appice deserves a mention; he influenced a whole generation of drummers with his work in Vanilla Fudge.

Song: You Keep Me Hanging On
Artist: Vanilla Fudge

Another drummer whose name you may not recognize but whose work you probably know is Jim Gordon. He played with almost everyone of his era (prior to schizophrenia taking over his life) - two of his best known pieces are his piano solo from the song "Layla" and the long, exquisite drum solo from Harry Nilsson's "Jump Into The Fire".

Here's a little something from Jim's work as a studio musician:

Song: Apache
Artist: Incredible Bongo Band

And of course, one of the best drum solos ever recorded:

Song: Jump Into The Fire
Artist: Harry Nilsson

Last edited:
I thought I would expand a little on the discussion that johnlocke kicked off with his comment about Tool's drummer Danny Carey.

At the highest levels, of course, it's all a matter of taste. I'm not all that into the metal division of rock (Mrs. TR is the headbanger in the family), but I did listen to a few Tool songs beyond the one I knew (Parabol/Parabola). And Mr. Carey is quite good, but I can't say he's better than some of my favorite drummers.

Who are they? I've already mentioned Steve Gadd and Billy Cobham, but Carmine Appice deserves a mention; he influenced a whole generation of drummers with his work in Vanilla Fudge.

Song: You Keep Me Hanging On
Artist: Vanilla Fudge

Another drummer whose name you may not recognize but whose work you probably know is Jim Gordon. He played with almost everyone of his era (prior to schizophrenia taking over his life) - two of his best known pieces are his piano solo from the song "Layla" and the long, exquisite drum solo from Harry Nilsson's "Jump Into The Fire".

Here's a little something from Jim's work as a studio musician:

Song: Apache
Artist: Incredible Bongo Band

And of course, one of the best drum solos ever recorded:

Song: Jump Into The Fire
Artist: Harry Nilsson

Good stuff man.

This is nostalgic for me cuz it came out in the early '90s and I had the cassette on repeat in my Alpine car tape deck for a year. I was dating my girlfriend of 5 years and still dear friend at the time. :)

It just blows me away. Pepper Keenan's solo is insane and puts the exclamation mark on this incredibly intelligent song.

View: https://music.youtube.com/watch?v=ZAxczdK2U4I&feature=share

I am biased. But I don't think any discussion of drummers, especially in the 70s, should exclude Terry Bozzio and Frank Zappa's "Black Page."

"The Black Page #1" is a piece by American composer Frank Zappa known for being extraordinarily difficult to play. Originally written for the drum kit and melodic percussion (as "The Black Page Drum Solo"), the piece was later rearranged in several versions, including the disco "easy teenage New York version" (commonly referred to as "The Black Page #2") and a so-called "new-age version", among others.

Drummer Terry Bozzio said of the piece:

He wrote it, because we had done this 40-piece orchestra gig together and he was always hearing the studio musicians in LA, that he was musing on that, talking about the fear of going into sessions some morning and being faced with "the black page". So he decided to write his "Black Page". Then he gave it to me, and I could play parts of it right away. But it wasn't a pressure thing, it just sat on my music stand and for about 15 minutes every day for 2 weeks, before we would rehearse, I would work on it. And after 2 weeks I had it together and I played it for him. And he said, "Great!", took it home, wrote the melody and the chord changes, brought it back in. And we all started playing it.[1]
On the double live album Zappa in New York (recorded 12/1976, released 3/1978), Zappa noted the "statistical density" of the piece.[2] It is written in common time with extensive use of tuplets, including tuplets inside tuplets. At several points there is a crotchet triplet (sixth notes) in which each beat is counted with its own tuplet of 5, 5 and 6; at another is a minim triplet (third notes) in which the second beat is a quintuplet (actually a tuplet of 7), and the third beat is divided into tuplets of 4 and 5. The song ends with a crotchet triplet composed of tuplets of 5, 5, and 6, followed by two tuplets of 11 in the space of one

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C9J7hXNI0XI

hqdefault.jpg

I am biased. But I don't think any discussion of drummers, especially in the 70s, should exclude Terry Bozzio and Frank Zappa's "Black Page."

Most of Zappa's music is opaque to me - I don't hear what I call musicality in very much of it.

I realize that probably says more about me than it does about the music - there are also other musicians and genres that don't do anything for me.

There's no question that what you posted is technically proficient, and I suspect that if I had more training I would have a greater appreciation for it.

It took me forever to become a decent skier; one year of piano lessons didn't get me very far along the curve to becoming a musician.

But I'm glad you posted that, and happier still that I took the time to listen to it. Open ears and an open mind - who knows, maybe I'll learn something someday.

Most of Zappa's music is opaque to me - I don't hear what I call musicality in very much of it.

I realize that probably says more about me than it does about the music - there are also other musicians and genres that don't do anything for me.

There's no question that what you posted is technically proficient, and I suspect that if I had more training I would have a greater appreciation for it.

It took me forever to become a decent skier; one year of piano lessons didn't get me very far along the curve to becoming a musician.

But I'm glad you posted that, and happier still that I took the time to listen to it. Open ears and an open mind - who knows, maybe I'll learn something someday.

The problem with being new to Zappa is the man had such a vast catalog that defies genre. There are over 100 albums released, and still more being released now, close to 30 years after his death. He recorded everything. But you are right, there is a lot of stuff that is just too statistically dense to appreciate for a lot of people. Very odd time signatures and the like. And then there is the other end of people's impression of him - "Don't Eat the Yellow Snow" and "Valley Girl" and people think he was a novelty act.

I won't bore you, but let me leave you with one of his best known instrumental pieces. It is both technically difficult, but melodic and musical. The grammy award winning "Peaches en Regalia" from about 1973, but performed live by his son Dweezil (with Steve Vai) from the mid 2000s. Only 3 minutes.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fxYxHA2mJg4

"The Black Page #1" is a piece by American composer Frank Zappa known for being extraordinarily difficult to play. Originally written for the drum kit and melodic percussion (as "The Black Page Drum Solo"), the piece was later rearranged in several versions, including the disco "easy teenage New York version" (commonly referred to as "The Black Page #2") and a so-called "new-age version", among others.

Drummer Terry Bozzio said of the piece:

On the double live album Zappa in New York (recorded 12/1976, released 3/1978), Zappa noted the "statistical density" of the piece.[2] It is written in common time with extensive use of tuplets, including tuplets inside tuplets. At several points there is a crotchet triplet (sixth notes) in which each beat is counted with its own tuplet of 5, 5 and 6; at another is a minim triplet (third notes) in which the second beat is a quintuplet (actually a tuplet of 7), and the third beat is divided into tuplets of 4 and 5. The song ends with a crotchet triplet composed of tuplets of 5, 5, and 6, followed by two tuplets of 11 in the space of one

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C9J7hXNI0XI

hqdefault.jpg

I was blessed to attend the Boston show in December 1976, about a week or two before they recorded Zappa in NY. I saw FZ more times than I can count, but that show was so great. The sheer entertainment value and laughing at Bozzio playing the devil on Titties and Beer... what a memory. And... the Illiinois Enema Bandit live... hysterical. You had to see FZ live to appreciate him the most. I was devastated when he passed. He was brilliant and technically off the charts music wise. My wife loses her shit when I play him, she can't get past the lyrics LOL I mean what's wrong with "Lookin' for some rustic co-ed rump That he just might wanna pump"

I was blessed to attend the Boston show in December 1976, about a week or two before they recorded Zappa in NY. I saw FZ more times than I can count, but that show was so great. The sheer entertainment value and laughing at Bozzio playing the devil on Titties and Beer... what a memory. And... the Illiinois Enema Bandit live... hysterical. You had to see FZ live to appreciate him the most. I was devastated when he passed. He was brilliant and technically off the charts music wise. My wife loses her shit when I play him, she can't get past the lyrics LOL I mean what's wrong with "Lookin' for some rustic co-ed rump That he just might wanna pump"
I was fortunate enough to see him 3 times, all in the 80s including the ill-fated last tour in 88, in Springfield.

Dweezil has been doing a commendable job in carrying the torch musically.

Sent from my Commodore VIC 20 using Tapatalk

I never got to attend one ..... really wish I could.

~Dee~

I ended up with Infinity speakers. And they just blew me away with my Nakamichi receiver and CD player.
Nostalgia indeed. I sold a bunch of Infinity speakers back in the 80's when I was putting myself through university. Some of them (Kappa 9's especially) were amp killers but, when driven properly, they sounded sublime. I also did an engineering workshop in the early 90's with Arnie Nudell who was the brains behind Infinity .... imaginative designer, may he RIP.

Nostalgia indeed. I sold a bunch of Infinity speakers back in the 80's when I was putting myself through university. Some of them (Kappa 9's especially) were amp killers but, when driven properly, they sounded sublime. I also did an engineering workshop in the early 90's with Arnie Nudell who was the brains behind Infinity .... imaginative designer, may he RIP.

Wow, incredible.

Back