Reaction score
Daytona Shootout Weekend is here !

Here's the new qualifying criteria and eligible driver info per nascar.com

New lineup criteria boosts Shootout at Daytona
Schedule changes, qualifying countdown to kickoff event

By Official Release
February 2, 2010
11:08 AM EST

DAYTONA BEACH, Fla. -- The Sprint Cup Series officially returns to the track as events leading to Saturday night's traditional Budweiser Shootout at Daytona grow in significance, with a few twists.

This week, everything builds to Saturday's Budweiser Shootout -- the non-points precursor to the season-opening Daytona 500 on Feb. 14.

NASCAR announced changes last year to the event's lineup format that emphasizes top performers from the previous season, plus drivers who have excelled at Daytona.

The Budweiser Shootout field now includes a collection of the sport's top drivers and top performers at Daytona. Below is the new criteria, with eligibility dependent on drivers having competed in the Cup Series during the past two seasons:

• The 12 drivers that qualified for the 2009 Chase
• Past Cup Series champions
• Past Budweiser Shootout champions
• Past Daytona points race winners
• The reigning rookie of the year

The Budweiser Shootout will be run in two segments, the first at 25 laps and the second a 50-lap sprint for the win. That's 187.5 miles on the track's high-banked, 2.5-mile layout.

Following the first segment, a 10-minute "pit stop" gives crews the opportunity to make normal adjustments to their cars. That means tweaks they would do on a normal pit stop during a regular Cup Series event.

• All work must be done on pit road or in the garage.
• Teams may not change springs, shocks or rear-ends.
• All green- and yellow-flag laps in both segments will count.

Following the 10-minute "pit stop", the event's second segment remains a 50-lap sprint for the win.

Daytona 500 qualifying will begin at 1:05 p.m. ET Saturday before the Budweiser Shootout.

2010 Budweiser Shootout
Eligible drivers
Driver Filled Criteria
John Andretti July race winner
Greg Biffle 2009 Chase
Geoff Bodine Daytona 500, Shootout winner
Jeff Burton July race winner
Kurt Busch 2009 Chase
Kyle Busch July race winner
Derrike Cope Daytona 500 winner
Dale Earnhardt Jr. Daytona 500, July race, Shootout winner
Carl Edwards 2009 Chase
Bill Elliott Series champion, Daytona 500, July race, Shootout winner
Jeff Gordon 2009 Chase
Denny Hamlin 2009 Chase
Kevin Harvick Daytona 500, Shootout winner
Jimmie Johnson 2009 Chase
Kasey Kahne 2009 Chase
Matt Kenseth Series champion, Daytona 500 winner
Bobby Labonte Series champion
Terry Labonte Series champion, Shootout winner
Joey Logano Reigning Raybestos rookie of the year
Sterling Marlin Daytona 500, July race winner
Mark Martin 2009 Chase
Jamie McMurray July race winner
Juan Montoya 2009 Chase
Ryan Newman 2009 Chase
Ken Schrader Shootout winner
Tony Stewart 2009 Chase
Brian Vickers 2009 Chase
Michael Waltrip Daytona 500, July race winner

I'm so excited that nascar is back, and i am actually pretty excited to see how Danica holds her own in the Nationwide series.

<<
I'm so excited that nascar is back
>>

Me too ! A nice bit of salve to put on the Pats season being over.

<<
I'm so excited that nascar is back
>>

Me too ! A nice bit of salve to put on the Pats season being over.

i love that it gets me through the whole summer. Sundays just aren't the same with nothing on, and baseball gets boring real quick.

<<
Sundays just aren't the same with nothing on, and baseball gets boring real quick.
>>

Me too. I gave up on baseball years ago, and I used to watch NFLE and Nascar. Nascar definitely fills that weekend afternoons sports drone.

Pitchers and Catchers be damned! Nothing says spring is coming better than speed week at Daytona!:thumb:

you said it. pitchers and catchers reporting means you still have to wait to actually see anything. Speed weeks means racing right now

Pitchers and Catchers be damned! Nothing says spring is coming better than speed week at Daytona!:thumb:

THIS

Going to be tough to get Ben to bed at a decent time Saturday night.

Who will win it all?
Top 5 in no particular order:

Jimmy Johnson
Denny Hamlin
Kyle Busch
Carl Edwards
Tony Stewart

Had a tough time keeping Kurt Busch off this list.

:banghead:

Just when Gordon was finally getting back his focus after getting remarried and having a kid...

Now they're having another one.

Gordon, Brady... When are these guys going to learn that you WAIT TILL YOU'RE RETIRED to have damn kids.

:banghead:

Although, on the bright side.... Chandra's due in July. :harumph:

So who is watching the Bud Shootout? So far its been pretty boring. Much like the All Star race where they just pussy foot around the first segment then actually race each other the final segment.

I've had it on the last few minutes. Kasey's in the middle of the pack, meh.

wow for a long track they're bunched up pretty closely for an extended period.

Kahne's team was supposed to go from Dodge to Ford this year, so we'll see what the change in motors does for him. I know they weren't happy with the Dodge engines the last couple years.

Kasey finsihes 2nd. Not bad. Might have been able to blow by Biffle if that last wreck hadn't happened.

There was nothing on and wanted to see what NASCAR looked like in HD so I turned it on. It was in SD, not HD.

I wouldn't mind running camera for NASCAR like one of my FB friends does (actually he probably freelances for Fox) for the Brickyard 400 or whatever they call it now. I don't actually follow NASCAR much anymore since the owner/driver single car teams went out the door. I always rooted for the person who has only one car to race like Awesome Bill from Dawsonville back in the day.

so the season is starting (officially) this weekend. I am very interested to see how Ms. Patrick holds up in the Nationwide reace. I heard her on Inside NASCAR last night on Showtime and she said she is having a fun time and she looks forward to all the stuff she has to learn about stock cars. I guess a bunch of the cup guys, Stewart, Johnson, Harvick and some others have been coaching her a lot and really want to see her do well.

Not sure who said it, but they compared her to "Cale Yarborough with eye shadow". i thought that was pretty funny.

Wow, Jimmie Johnson is just ridiculous. Winning the Gatorade Duel in a back up car, with old tires. Jesus H.

two unreal finishes today. Kasey coming up big to hold off Smoke.

Jr knows how to drive that track.
By far the best Hendrick car.

Right before DW said "He looked just like his daddy" on that last lap I said the same thing to Ben.

Shannon cried, Kyle Busch lost :(

OH
NASCAR
FIX DAYTONA, that was deplorable

FUNNY commercial though ROFL

Back