Official Boston Celtics/NBA Thread:

Wow. Just wow.

https://www.ctpost.com/news/ctpost/article/Man-found-dead-in-West-Haven-motel-14090915.php

WEST HAVEN — The father of Tremont Waters, a standout basketball player from Notre Dame High School recently drafted by the Boston Celtics, was found dead Thursday in a Kimberly Avenue motel, police said.

Edward Waters Jr. was found unresponsive when police said they responded to a report of an injured or sick person at the Super 8 Hotel around noon on Thursday.

Police said the West Haven Fire Department paramedics pronounced the man dead.

Police said they are investigating the case as an untimely death. No further information was expected to be released Friday.

Wow. Just wow.

https://www.ctpost.com/news/ctpost/article/Man-found-dead-in-West-Haven-motel-14090915.php

WEST HAVEN — The father of Tremont Waters, a standout basketball player from Notre Dame High School recently drafted by the Boston Celtics, was found dead Thursday in a Kimberly Avenue motel, police said.

Edward Waters Jr. was found unresponsive when police said they responded to a report of an injured or sick person at the Super 8 Hotel around noon on Thursday.

Police said the West Haven Fire Department paramedics pronounced the man dead.

Police said they are investigating the case as an untimely death. No further information was expected to be released Friday.

Wow.

Kid played pretty good last night too.

breaking news... Westbrook to the rockets for Chris paul and a shit ton of pics. (more info to follow)

---------- Post added at 08:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:40 PM ----------

https://www.si.com/nba/2019/07/10/thunder-trade-russell-westbrook-free-agency

and here it is....

The NBA has some real issues with the players running the league and Silver has to take action soon.

- there are no tampering rules in the NBA which means players and agents can talk to anyone they want to.
- no trade clauses are hampering even the best GM
- players get to choose their next team for their personal gain with more freedom than ever. They may want to form a super team or they may want a big $$ contract or they may want to go to a large market team so they get a huge $$ shoe endorsement deal. Whatever the player wants he can orchestrate & there's nothing the league can do about it right now.

GMs are virtually powerless with all the no trade clauses and complicated cap ramifications. Players choosing what teams they can be traded to? Red Auerbach weeps. Small market teams don't have a chance. High tax rate...tough coach? No way. In the NBA, the players run the show because the rules allow it and the 5-10 best players are rigging the games before the season even starts. The end result has become 1 or 2 super teams, some years 3, and every other team is left competing for scraps.

This is the major reason I've all but stopped following the NBA.

They're not going to change anything, they love all the attention the off season is getting with the player movement and the league is more popular than ever whether we like it or not. And super teams have been around forever, whether it was from players or GMs colluding, like Ainge and McHale with the Garnett trade which was a joke, he had much better offers. How many teams actually stood a chance against the Lakers and Celtics of the 80s, or the Bulls after that, especially when Rodman went there? I don't think you were really saying super teams are bad, just that the players are colluding to form them is, but I think there's always been some form of that whether it was from the owners, GMs, or players.

Also I think this year is more wide open than it has been in a long time, it's just that most of the power is in the West.

They're not going to change anything, they love all the attention the off season is getting with the player movement and the league is more popular than ever whether we like it or not. And super teams have been around forever, whether it was from players or GMs colluding, like Ainge and McHale with the Garnett trade which was a joke, he had much better offers. How many teams actually stood a chance against the Lakers and Celtics of the 80s, or the Bulls after that, especially when Rodman went there?

Also I think this year is more wide open than it has been in a long time, it's just that most of the power is in the West.
early 80's Cetlics had the 76ers with Dr J, world b free, Dawkins the two Jones', Bobby and Caldwell, and later Moses Malone

Milwaukee was good with Sikma and a few others like Moncreif.

Pistons got good and the bulls became relevant too.

the West had the Lakers and the fakers so the east beat each other up while the lakers cruised, minus 86 Rockets victory, into the finals healthy.

The East is now like the old West and visa versa.

Not the entire 80s obviously, but just the fact that you can only name a few teams in the entire league from that decade kind of proves my point. The league was heavily lopsided then as it is now, nothing has really changed in that respect. It might have even been worse back then. I mean the 85/86 Celtics had a ridiculous 5 Hall of Famers and yes I know Walton was well past his prime but still. That team was pretty much unbeatable.

Not the entire 80s obviously, but just the fact that you can only name a few teams in the entire league from that decade kind of proves my point. The league was heavily lopsided then as it is now, nothing has really changed in that respect. It might have even been worse back then. I mean the 85/86 Celtics had a ridiculous 5 Hall of Famers and yes I know Walton was well past his prime but still. That team was pretty much unbeatable.

Walton was past his prime, but the Celts used him perfectly and he earned 6th man of the Year honors. It was amazing that he stayed healthy the entire year.

But than as now, basketball is a sport that requires a superstar and a few solid co-pieces. It's rare that an NBA team can win the title without that one special player. It's one of the things I dislike about the sport, if your team isn't in a position to get that one player, the season is just an exercise in futility.

Walton was past his prime, but the Celts used him perfectly and he earned 6th man of the Year honors. It was amazing that he stayed healthy the entire year.

But than as now, basketball is a sport that requires a superstar and a few solid co-pieces. It's rare that an NBA team can win the title without that one special player. It's one of the things I dislike about the sport, if your team isn't in a position to get that one player, the season is just an exercise in futility.

Absolutely this. And I loved the sport and the celts from the dawn of the Russel Cousy era through the Bird era. But i'm pretty much I'm done with it.

A team needs two superstars to have any real chance.

So the Cs get their first win against the reigning champs. Nice. 1-1.

I only caught a bit of it at a biker bar in between watching my friends band play.

Gonna watch the recording tonight.

Bleacher Report@BleacherReport
Kyrie Irving’s "mood swings" are an "unspoken concern that makes Brooklyn officials queasy." Nets sources say an episode happened on their trip to China, leaving the team confused, per Jackie MacMullan

Good luck with Kyrie. You knew the risks.

Gotta admit I didn't watch one minute of last nights game against the Bucks. I was watching the Series.

Checked in at halftime, saw them down 16 and thought "oh well, the Bucks are a tough team."

Then I saw the final score come across my phone and I was amazed. Kemba seemed to have taken over in the second half.

Here's hoping he's what we thought we were getting with Kyrie.

Gotta admit I didn't watch one minute of last nights game against the Bucks. I was watching the Series.

Checked in at halftime, saw them down 16 and thought "oh well, the Bucks are a tough team."

Then I saw the final score come across my phone and I was amazed. Kemba seemed to have taken over in the second half.

Here's hoping he's what we thought we were getting with Kyrie.

So far he’s better. Franchise record for most points through first 4 games as a Celtic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

This iteration of the Cs so far is far more enjoyable than last year. They are loving life and playing as a team.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

This iteration of the Cs so far is far more enjoyable than last year. They are loving life and playing as a team.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

See it ALL the time with Bs and Pats. Once in a while it catches hold with the Sox and they end up fairing well. Hopefully the Cs are on the cusp of something.

Back