Official Patriots Planet Photo thread

...where we spent the night smoking cigars and watching moose (although Hawg didn't have his camera ready when the moose were out).

Day 2 featured a trek from Russell Pond up into the remote Northwest Basin.....

Our luxury accomodations on night 2 consisted of the quaint Davis Pond Lean-to, located by the shore of Davis Pond, on the northwest flank of Katahdin. A million miles from any signs of civilization.

Our Davis Pond accomodations featured the famous (rated by Backpacker Magazine as one of the top 5 "most scenic backcountry privvies" in the US) New Thunder Gods' Throne

From the seat of the Throne, one could enjoy a spectacular view of Davis Pond...

Day 3, we hiked out of Davis and climbed to Katahdin's Tableland. Here you see the one and only Hawg73, still looking pretty good for an old guy who just climbed several thousand feet with a heavy pack....

Here we are, hoping to find an escalator to take us down to Chimney Pond....

Here I am, at Chimney Pond, preparing a gourmet omelette for breakfast on day 4. My hair and face are clearly showing the effects of living in the wilderness. As bad as I looked at this point, I can assure you that I smelled even worse.

Tom, Mike (who joined us at Chimney Pond), and DKM (again, Hawg73 was the photographer) on day 4. We're only a couple of miles from our Roaring Brook base camp at this point. After 4 days on the trail, we're thinking of that cooler loaded with cold beer and nice thick prime rib-eye steaks.

Tom watches over the prime ribeyes, while cinnamon buns bake in the dutch oven. Out of camera range, Hawg73 and DKM are putting a major dent in a case of cold Sam Adams.

hmmmm....

the more "pictues" I see of Hawg the more I think he played Wilson in HomeImprovement..never quite get a good image of the face....

I also could have sworn that in one of the "wilderness" picture I saw the top of a Nissan Pathfinder....:harumph:

I wont even talk about the rumor that you hired some Tibetan mountain climbers to carry your bags during the trip whos only break was when you donned them for your pictures.....

:shake:

Since DropKick was on the Great Outdoors theme, I dug up this picture from '99 while I was living in Mississippi. This was late night after fishing in the shallow portions of Sardis Lake. Guess how I caught these 2 lovely catfish? Grappling! It's a real redneck style of fishing and you have to have a special grappling permit. I thought it was a joke at first, but it turned out to be big fun.

pookie said:
Since DropKick was on the Great Outdoors theme, I dug up this picture from '99 while I was living in Mississippi. This was late night after fishing in the shallow portions of Sardis Lake. Guess how I caught these 2 lovely catfish? Grappling! It's a real redneck style of fishing and you have to have a special grappling permit. I thought it was a joke at first, but it turned out to be big fun.

Geez, I thought I'd be in trouble with our PETA friends for posting the steak picture.....wait till they get a load of your fish-grappling!

Since my good buddy DropKick posted a so-so pic of me, I decided to post one. This is a recent shot of me downing a Margarita at the Fort Lauderdale airport last month. and yes, I had quite the buzz going if that is not obvious to all.

Now at least Brewski can't accuse me of being "Wilson" anymore.

And Pookie, I kind of think you dig the redneck lifestlye - don't BS us (it sounded like a good time).

dKM & Hawg--
Two thumbs up for the cinematography & panoramic view shots! :)
Wow! I thought that my favorite area in Maine (the Rangeley Lakes Region) was gorgeous... Your Baxter Park is truly pristine & seemingly unparalleled in its natural beauty! Thanks for sharing these photos & for taking us on this virtual tour of your trail-scapades... :)
Nice chinny hairs that you've grown, Margarita Man! :)

Uh, Pook--
Aren't those catfish really slimey & slippery little suckers to grapple onto?! That's been my experience with the ones that I have caught in Florida, anyways... Yuck!
Me-thinks that you were a redneck in a former life... Hee-hee! :)

Back