Official Planet Pet Peeves Thread

Can't believe I have missed this thread.

1. People who drive slowly in the left hand lane and refuse to get over. Pisses me off to no end. If I'm not in a hurry for example this past week when we were on vacation and on our way to Colorado, I'll pass them on the right then move over in front of them and turn the cruise off. When they move over to pass I put the hammer down and watch to see what they do. More times than not they will immediately move back to the left hand lane. :blink:

2. Enter vs. Exit. Is it really that difficult? It always amazes when walking into a store how many near head on collisions happens because some lazy bastard won't take two extra steps to go through the correct door. I have drilled this into both of my son's heads. Now my wife intentionally walks through the wrong door from time to time just to piss me off.

3. Parking lines. Are they that difficult to park between? We were at my son's baseball game the other night and I pulled our van into a spot (perfectly centered I might add). There was no car on either side when we got there. After the game I hit the auto doors so the kids could get in. My youngest son went around to the drivers side and just stopped with a confused look on his face. I came around the corner and some jackass had parked his POS Thunderbird diagonally across his parking space leaving his rear bumper in my parking space. When I hit the automatic door it had came with a couple inches of grazing the other car. I was beyond furious at this point so I grabbed a piece of paper and wrote this polite note. "They put lines in the parking lot for a reason. Learn how to f#%king park between them." and stuck it under their windshield wiper. I had to stop myself at least three times from putting my name and number on the note because I would have dared that prick to confront me about it at that point.

Alk said:

1. People who drive slowly in the left hand lane and refuse to get over. Pisses me off to no end. If I'm not in a hurry for example this past week when we were on vacation and on our way to Colorado, I'll pass them on the right then move over in front of them and turn the cruise off. When they move over to pass I put the hammer down and watch to see what they do. More times than not they will immediately move back to the left hand lane. :blink:

2. Enter vs. Exit. Is it really that difficult? It always amazes when walking into a store how many near head on collisions happens because some lazy bastard won't take two extra steps to go through the correct door. I have drilled this into both of my son's heads. Now my wife intentionally walks through the wrong door from time to time just to piss me off.

3. Parking lines. Are they that difficult to park between? We were at my son's baseball game the other night and I pulled our van into a spot (perfectly centered I might add). There was no car on either side when we got there. After the game I hit the auto doors so the kids could get in. My youngest son went around to the drivers side and just stopped with a confused look on his face. I came around the corner and some jackass had parked his POS Thunderbird diagonally across his parking space leaving his rear bumper in my parking space. When I hit the automatic door it had came with a couple inches of grazing the other car. I was beyond furious at this point so I grabbed a piece of paper and wrote this polite note. "They put lines in the parking lot for a reason. Learn how to f#%king park between them." and stuck it under their windshield wiper. I had to stop myself at least three times from putting my name and number on the note because I would have dared that prick to confront me about it at that point.

I got a note on my car once saying I suck at parking. in my defense it was before they repaved the lot here and there were old lines and new lines. I was parked next to these yellow lines which I always knew to be no parking zones. Apparently it was no longer a no parking zone. I had wished the person that left the note left their name too. They didn't mention how perfectly straight my car was :harumph:

I'd say you had more reason to leave a note than this ahole

We're soulmates. Marry me.

:D :toast:

Maybe you should direct him to this:

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/irregardless

Usage Discussion of IRREGARDLESS
Irregardless originated in dialectal American speech in the early 20th century. Its fairly widespread use in speech called it to the attention of usage commentators as early as 1927. The most frequently repeated remark about it is that “there is no such word.” There is such a word, however. It is still used primarily in speech, although it can be found from time to time in edited prose. Its reputation has not risen over the years, and it is still a long way from general acceptance. Use regardless instead.​

Actually, you should direct him to this :harumph:

Grammar Girl here.

Today's topic is irregardless.

Hi, Grammar Girl. I'm an English teacher in Boston, Massachusetts, and I am freaking out. One of my students tells me that irregardless is now a word, and apparently it's been added to some dictionaries. Can you clear this up for me. This is serious panic time.

In the immortal words of The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy: Don't panic. Irregardless is a word, but it's not a proper word, and your student's assertion that it's in some dictionaries is a great opportunity to talk about the different kind of dictionaries and the different kind of entries in dictionaries.

Irregardless Versus Regardless

First, let's talk about irregardless. Some people mistakenly use irregardless when they mean “regardless.” Regardless means “regard less,” “without regard,” or despite something. For example, Squiggly will eat chocolate regardless of the consequences.

The prefix ir- (i-r) is a negative prefix, so if you add the prefix ir to a word that's already negative like regardless, you're making a double-negative word that literally means “without without regard.”

Language experts speculate that irregardless comes from a combination of the words regardless and irrespective and that another reason people might say "irregardless" is that they are following the pattern of words like irregular and irreplaceable. But regardless already has the -less suffix on the end, so it's not like those other words.

Standard Versus Nonstandard English

Now, on to dictionaries. Although it's true that the American Heritage Dictionary, the Merriam-Webster Online Dictionary, and the Oxford English Dictionary all list the word irregardless, they also note that it's considered nonstandard. Listing a word as nonstandard is a way that dictionaries concede that a word is in common use, but isn't really a proper word. Standard language is defined as the language spoken by educated native speakers (1), but comprehensive dictionaries also include nonstandard words, dialect, colloquialisms, and jargon--words like ain't, conversate, and irregardless. It seems pretty common for people to look up a word in a dictionary, and if it's there, they think it's fine to use that word every circumstance. It's the "Look, it's a word!" phenomenon. But you have to look a little further to see what kind of word it is, and if it's nonstandard in some way, then use it with caution. You'll sound uneducated if you go around saying things like I ain't gonna conversate with him irregardless of the consequences.​

542020_471832462846212_625887054_n.jpg

Actually, you should direct him to this :harumph:

Grammar Girl here.

Today's topic is irregardless.

Hi, Grammar Girl. I'm an English teacher in Boston, Massachusetts, and I am freaking out. One of my students tells me that irregardless is now a word, and apparently it's been added to some dictionaries. Can you clear this up for me. This is serious panic time.

In the immortal words of The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy: Don't panic. Irregardless is a word, but it's not a proper word, and your student's assertion that it's in some dictionaries is a great opportunity to talk about the different kind of dictionaries and the different kind of entries in dictionaries.​
I think the link I gave him would annoy his friend a lot more than the link you gave him.

popcorn

All of the above. I would confess to a somewhat more crude solution. I came out of a strip mall store one day to find two cars so tightly parked next to mine that I couldn't get in either door, in fact I couldn't even walk between the cars. BOTH SIDES. Given that I was carrying a sandwich I'd just purchased, and was suffering from a bad cold I popped the trunk on my car, and was able to fold the seat back down, and literally crawled through that opening into the car. I am 6 foot 3, 220 lbs. Once in the car, I opened my sandwich and reached out the window ( didn't have to reach far), and "washed" one offending car with all sorts of mayo, ham, cheese, lettuce. I realized I had a horrible mucus buildup and opened the drivers window and just coughed a huge load of lung butter all over the the windows. I then neatly backed my car out of the space and drove away. And bought another sandwich down the street.

People who think that their car stereos function as a independent method to verify the proper functioning of the earthquake/Tsunami detection system and/or the nuclear test ban treaty detection system.

I seriously wonder if cars with such sub woofers would survive if African Elephants roamed free in the US.

On a positive note, the morons will be lining up at hearing aid stores 20 years down the road.

Perspective is everything.. for instance, the one on the right looks ok relative to the rest. That's not saying much... just sayin'

It's called the "Bar Scale"

When you walk into a bar, you rate all the women there between 1 and 10. If another woman walks into the bar, all the rankings can change.

This scale has the advantage that you can still go home with an "8" at 2:00 am. :coffee:

Ok I have a new one. People who instantly say that something is expensive or will cost money before anything else.

Example: I have an elderly neighbor who sews. She can fix anything. I wanted to have her alter a pair of shorts. I mentioned this is conversation to another neighbor who immediately said "She charges money for that." Ummm...yeah. I know.

Another: A friend is in Denmark for work. His company sent him over there for three weeks. They are paying for pretty much everything but souvenirs. Another friend said "Well he better have a shitload of money because that place is expensive."

:confused:

Am I missing something here? Where is the" Oh that's cool!"
Posted via Mobile Device

People who are perplexed by the complexity of airport security and waste everyone's time.

How about people who, when there are lines at the Costco or Sam's Club gas pumps, take ten minutes to figure out how to pay at the pump? Are there really that many members who have never pumped their own gas before?

Another driving pet peeve of mine is people who are driving down a multilane divided road through a business district and think they need to bring their car to a full stop before making a right turn into the parking lot. I can understand if you're driving an 18-wheeler or even a UPS van ... those things look like they could flip over at any moment. I'll never argue with extra caution if there might be black ice or even rain on the ground. But are you really risking loss of control if you make that right turn at 15 mph on dry pavement in a Toyota Corolla?

That happened yesterday!! The moron was driving a Corolla. ROFL
Posted via Mobile Device

Back