OT: File This Under -- "OMFG & WTF, Ovah"

RoadGrader

Pervertas Emeritus
Reaction score
:doh: ROFL :doh:

22610.jpg

Stockholm's bunnies burned to keep Swedes warm :eek::eek:

Published: 12 Oct 09 14:46 CET

The bodies of thousands of rabbits culled every year from the parks in Stockholm’s Kungsholmen neighbourhood are being used to fuel a heating plant in central Sweden.

The decision to use Stockholm’s rabbit cadavers as bioenergy to warm Swedes living in Värmland doesn't sit well with Stockholm-based animal rights activists.

“Those who support the culling of rabbits surely think it’s good to use the bodies for a good cause. But it feels like they’re trying to turn the animals into an industry rather than look at the main problem,” Anna Johannesson of Vilda kaniners värn (‘Society for the Protection of Wild Rabbits’) told the local Vårt Kungsholmen newspaper.

Every year, the city of Stockholm kills off thousands of rabbits in an effort to protect trees and shrubbery in the city’s extensive network of parks and green space.

According to Tommy Tuvunger with the Stockholm Traffic Office, the agency responsible for controlling the city’s rodent and wild animal population, part of the problem rests with delinquent pet owners who decide to release their rabbits into the city’s parks.

“Many of the released rabbits are tame,” he told the newspaper.

Animal control authorities employ a special rifle to shoot the excess rabbits, with most of the culling taking place at dawn when the animals peek out from their holes.

The city usually steps up its rabbit hunting efforts in the autumn as leaves begin to fall from bushes and trees, making it easier to see the rabbits.

Tuvunger explained that it doesn’t take many newly released rabbits to do what rabbits are known for doing, much to the detriment of Stockholm’s efforts to control the size of its rabbit population.

“People who think that the bunnies are cute and cuddly suddenly don’t think they’re as fun anymore and put the animals outside. They think: ‘there they can play with the other rabbits’,” he said.

Last year marked a new record for Stockholm’s rabbit cull, with nearly 6,000 rabbits, mostly from Kungsholmen, being removed from Stockholm’s parks.

But rather than simply disposing of the dead rabbits, the city instead froze them for eventual transport to a special heating plant in Karlskoga in central Sweden, where the bunny bodies are then burned as a form of bioenergy.

According to Johannesson, Sweden’s animal control authorities aren’t interested in pursuing other options besides killing the rabbits.

“We want to see them start looking at other solutions for the rabbits,” she said, citing the Finnish capital of Helsinki, which employs sprays to make park plants unappetizing as well as a network of shelters for various domesticated animals.

“In Helsinki, where they have the same problem, they’ve come much farther,” Johannesson told Vårt Kungsholmen.

http://www.thelocal.se/22610/20091012/

Rabbit Cacciatore

3 tablespoons olive oil
1 3 1/4-pound frozen rabbit, thawed, cut into 8 pieces
5 garlic cloves, minced
1 pound tomatoes, chopped, with seeds and juices (about 2 1/2 cups)
1 1/3 cups dry white wine
2 tablespoons chopped fresh thyme
2 tablespoons chopped fresh oregano
1 tablespoon chopped fresh rosemary

Heat oil in heavy large pot over high heat. Sprinkle rabbit with salt and pepper. Add rabbit to pot and sauté until browned on all sides, about 10 minutes. Add garlic; sauté 1 minute. Add tomatoes and wine. Bring to boil, scraping up any browned bits. Reduce heat to medium, cover and simmer until rabbit is cooked through, about 30 minutes.

Using tongs, transfer rabbit pieces to plate. Add herbs to sauce in pot. Simmer until slightly reduced, about 5 minutes. Return rabbit to pot. Stir until heated through, about 3 minutes. Season with salt and pepper and serve.

Baked Stuffed Rabbit

SHOPPING LIST: fine bread crumbs, dairy sour cream, flour, margarine, onions, pepper, salt, salt pork, savory, rabbit

INGREDIENTS
rabbit, 4 cups of fine bread crumbs, 2 tbsp. onions, 1/4 cup margarine, three or four thin slices of salt pork, 1/2 tsp. salt, 2 tbsp. savory, 1/4 tsp. pepper.
Gravy: 2tbsp. flour, dairy sour cream
Pastry: 1/3 cup margarine, 1 cup flour, 1 tsp. baking powder, 1/2 tsp. salt, 2 or 3 tbsp. cold water.

INSTRUCTIONS
Dressing
In a mixing bowl, mix together 4 cups of bread crumbs, 2 tbsp. of chopped onion, 1/4 cup of soft margarine, 1/2 tsp. salt, 2 tbsp. savory, and 1/4 tsp. pepper.

Cooking
Stuff the rabbit with the dressing and fasten with skewers.
Place in roasting pan and lay four or five slices of fat port across the top.
Add a little water and cover the pan
Bake at 350F degrees or until the meat is tender (about 25 minutes per pound.)
Remove from oven and make gravy.

Gravy
Skim fat from cooking liquid, reserving 2 tablespoons.
In a saucepan, heat the 2 tbsp. fat and blend in 2 tbsp. flour.
Gradually stir in 1 cup of the liquid remaining in the roasting pan from the meat.
Cook, stirring until thickened.
Mix in 1 cup of dairy sour cream and heat thoroughly.

Pour the gravy over the rabbit and cover with pastry. (See recipe which follows.) Return to oven.
Bake at 450F degrees until the pastry is browned.
Serve at once

Pastry
Cut margarine into flour, baking powder, and salt until the mixture resembles bread crumbs.
Sprinkle in water, 1 tbsp. at a time and mix.
Gather the pastry into a ball and place on lightly floured board.
Roll out the pastry to the correct size to cover the rabbit.

Barbeque Rabbit

Ingredients:
2 rabbits, quartered
1 cup olive oil
¼ cup vinegar
¼ cup red wine
1 small minced onion
2 cloves minced garlic
Juice from ½ lemon
5 tablespoons catsup
4 tablespoons A-1 sauce
¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
Dash of Tabasco
¼ teaspoon black pepper

Cooking Directions:
Combine all ingredients except the rabbit in a medium saucepan. Mix well and simmer for 20 minutes, stirring frequently. Place the quartered rabbits on a medium-hot grill. Baste the rabbits generously every 5 minutes with the sauce mixture, turning frequently. It will take about 40-50 minutes until they are done, make sure you have used all of your sauce. With this recipe the sauce is the key!!

Colonial Rabbit

2 rabbits, sections
Flour
1 tbs. olive oil
1 can chicken broth or stock
½ onion, diced
3 carrots, peeled and coined
3 bay leaves
1 clove garlic, pressed
1 small can tomato paste
¼ cup very cold water
2 tbs. flour
4 tbs. currant jelly
½ lb. mushrooms, sliced

Flour meat and brown in skillet with oil. Remove meat from pan. Add chicken broth and bring to a boil. Stir in onion, carrots, bay leaves and garlic and simmer for 20-30 minutes. Add tomato puree and continue to simmer. Remove ¼ cup broth from pan and combine with water and flour, mixing until smooth. Return rabbit to pan. When rabbit is cooked through, remove from mixture. Strain the mixture to catch bones. Sauté mushroom and add to broth or serve on the side. Servings 4-6

Crunchy Herbed Rabbit

3 cups Corn Chex crushed to 1 cup
1/4 cup flour
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1 1/2 teaspoons paprika
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1/4 teaspoon thyme, ground
1/4 teaspoon basil, ground
1 egg
1/4 cup milk
2-2 1/2 lbs. rabbit, cut in serving pieces
1/2 cup butter

Combine Chex crumbs, flour, salt, paprika, pepper, thyme and basil. Beat together egg and milk. Dip rabbit pieces in milk mixture. Roll in crumb mixture. Brown well in butter*. Cover.

*or heat oven to hot (400 degrees). Melt butter in a shallow baking pan. Place rabbit pieces in butter. Bake 25 minutes. Turn. Bake 15-20 minutes longer or until golden and tender.

and for our Indian friends (dot not feather, speaking of where is Claremonster?)

Curried Rabbit

4 cups diced, cooked rabbit
2 10 oz cans mushroom soup
1 cup mayonnaise
1/2 cup commercial sour cream
2 teaspoons lemon juice
2 Tablespoons melted butter
1 teaspoon curry power
3/4 cup toasted, buttered bread crumbs
2/3 cup shredded sharp Cheddar Cheese

Combine all ingredients except bread crumbs and cheese, spoon into buttered 3-quart casserole. Top with bread crumbs, then cheese. Bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes or until cheese melts and sauce is bubbly.
....and for the Fraulein in my office Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm tickle me!

Hasenpfeffer

Makes four (04) servings

1 Rabbit, cut into pieces
2 tbsp. olive oil
1 Bay leaf, crumbled
1 Garlic clove, chopped
1 Spice clove
2 tbsp. Bacon, diced
2 Small carrots, chopped
2 cups mushrooms
1/2 cup Vinegar
1 1/2 cup Water
1 cup Sour cream

Heat vegetable oil in sauce pan. When hot, add leaf, garlic clove, spice clove, bacon, carrots and mushrooms. Add rabbit and simmer until browned. Pour solution of 1/2 cup vinegar, mixed with 1 to 1-1/2 cups water over meat. Cover pan and simmer until tender. Before removing pan from heat, add sour cream stirring to blend. Serve hot with dumplings or large noodles.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/JSpU9fyGugU&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/JSpU9fyGugU&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Maybe I should heat my house this way. There are a few stray cats in the area.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/w0wnRo6TTEU&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/w0wnRo6TTEU&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

lest we leave our tommysgirl out we have our

Salsa Smothered Rabbit
by: Mark W. Lowry

Necessary Ingredients:

2 rabbits (or 3-4 squirrels)<---- ROFL
1 cup flour
salt, to taste
pepper, to taste
16 oz salsa sauce
1/2 cup butter or margarine
water, as required

Cooking Directions:

Section rabbit into individual pieces. Roll in flour, salt, and pepper mixture. Brown all sides in butter in a large skillet. Add a large (16 oz) jar of your favorite salsa sauce (I prefer Chi-Chi's :Ohbaby: :)) in the spiciness level you prefer. Cover and simmer for 90 minutes or until tender. Check often and add water as necessary to keep mixture from becoming too thick. Serve over rice.

arent there kids starving in africa who would enjoy heating their huts with bunnies?

WTF is right....

Exactly how many BTU's does a rabbit carcass net?

How many BTU's does it take to freeze them and transport them?

(Bunny Thermal Units) - (BTU required for freezing) - (fuel used to transport dead bunnies) = a negative number I suspect...

Besides...that is 6000 potential meals for the hungry!

Well we just found out where Micheal Vick can get a job after football...

Soylent Electicity is Bunnies!

WTF is right....

Exactly how many BTU's does a rabbit carcass net?

How many BTU's does it take to freeze them and transport them?

(Bunny Thermal Units) - (BTU required for freezing) - (fuel used to transport dead bunnies) = a negative number I suspect...

Besides...that is 6000 potential meals for the hungry!

Well let's do the math.

Calories in food is roughly equivalent to energy content, so we can use that as a proxy to see how much energy they can produce from this.

This site says rabbit has 206 Kcals/100g.

Let's assume the rabbits weigh 5 pounds. That's 2267.962 gms or 22.67962 100 gms.

That gives us 4,672.00172 Kcals.

That's 18,540 BTU.

Since I assumed a 5 pound rabbit this works out to 3,708 per pound.

By comparison, the heat of combustion for coal is 8,000 to 14,000 BTU per pound.

I would think the energy required to freeze the rabbit is much much less than the energy required to mine coal. The transportation costs would be a bit higher, since you needed to use refrigerated transport.

All in all I would have to guess that it is a net positive energy process.

I would add that it has a much higher energy "gain" than the vast majority of so called "green" energy projects.

Soylent Electicity is Bunnies!

Well let's do the math.

Calories in food is roughly equivalent to energy content, so we can use that as a proxy to see how much energy they can produce from this.

This site says rabbit has 206 Kcals/100g.

Let's assume the rabbits weigh 5 pounds. That's 2267.962 gms or 22.67962 100 gms.

That gives us 4,672.00172 Kcals.

That's 18,540 BTU.

Since I assumed a 5 pound rabbit this works out to 3,708 per pound.

By comparison, the heat of combustion for coal is 8,000 to 14,000 BTU per pound.

I would think the energy required to freeze the rabbit is much much less than the energy required to mine coal. The transportation costs would be a bit higher, since you needed to use refrigerated transport.

All in all I would have to guess that it is a net positive energy process.

I would add that it has a much higher energy "gain" than the vast majority of so called "green" energy projects.
only you, O_P_T :archive: can bring the sanity of cool, rational scientific analysis to an otherwise insane topic :kisss:

Back