OT: Laser Eye Surgery

cka203

GO COLTS!
Reaction score
Anyone here had it done? Willing to share pros/cons, personal experiences, any knowledge of the procedure.. it's success rate.. complications.. anything?

I'm *kinda* considering it, just cause I'm sick of having to get new glasses every friggin year, and messing with bifocals (soon to be trifocals), etc.

Appreciate any input! TIA!

Yup, it is awesome. Life changing on a minor but significant level. Minor discomfort during the surgery, slightly worse afterwards for a day or two...like very bad dry eye, but worth it without a second question. The first 6 months you feel like you have x-ray vision, but it goes back to a more "normal" magnification after 6-12 months. I can't recommend it enough.

Edit: with all that said, go to the absolute best doctor you can find with the absolute newest technology, DO NOT SCRIMP OR CHEAP OUT.

Make sure the DR don't use mutated sea bass with lazers...
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Bh7bYNAHXxw&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Bh7bYNAHXxw&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

My right eye was 20/200. My left was 20/400. My favorite example that I use to describe my eyesight is that I would wake up in the middle of the night and be able to see the red glow of the alarm clock, but I couldn't make out the numbers. I've had glasses since I was nine. Contacts since I was eleven. I've been through both soft lenses and gas permeable, and those who have had hard contacts know how much of an inconvenience that can be.

I had lasik surgery done in early 2002. At the time I calculated that the surgery would pay for itself in seven years, factoring in doctor's visits, contacts, solution, replacement glasses, etc. (I did not know at the time to account for the time value of money. ;)). I was twenty-one when I had the surgery done. I commend the institution for forewarning me of a few potential problems:

1. My eyes would not fully mature until I was ~25
  2. Expecting to enter university, the excessive reading and computer work could alter the effectiveness of the surgery
I remember going in for my surgery very vividly, though the entire process took less than hour. I was given what I think was a valium to calm me down prior to the procedure. I was instructed to take a second one afterward to ensure I took a nap and rested my eyes. I had someone to drive me home. The procedure itself took less than fifteen minutes, though parts of it were very unnerving. Numbing drops are placed in your eyes prior to the procedure. A suction device holds your eyeball in place as it is ready to be corrected, and the pressure from that device causes your vision to go black in that eye. I couldn't help but think, "this is my only eye...what if my vision doesn't come back? What if my vision stays black?" Needless to say, it was very unnerving. Especially given that the docs ask you to focus on a certain point while the laser is doing its work.

After both eyes had been corrected I got up fine out of the chair. I had been warned that when I left my vision would be a little fuzzy, and it was. It was very much like a fog over the world. I took my second valium and was driven home. My instructions and my intent were to go to sleep for a few hours...little did I know why.

Apparently, you are drugged up so that you stay calm during the procedure and then fall asleep when you get home. Why? Because your eyes heal themselves at an accelerated rate. Why is that a problem? Because it hurts like hell. At the time, I did not know I had a resistance to medicine, and I laid down in my bed for three hours in excruciating pain as my eyes healed. It burned to have my eyes closed because the eyelids were making contact, but I was unable to open my eyes because the tears would stream and cause pain as well.

After my eyes finally healed I stepped out onto the apartment porch. I noticed I could read a license plate all the way across the parking lot, though everything was still a little fuzzy. I saw halos for about week, especially during night and at traffic stops. The bright blue sky was too bright for a few weeks.

All in all, though, it was definitely worth it...costs not withstanding. Quality of life. I recommend it to anyone.

I have thought about getting this done as well. I was told I'd have to wait a few more years until my prescription doesn't change for a while?

I know quite a few people that have had this done and they have nothing but great things to say about it. So when the time comes I think I will go for it.

ha I'll be working 2 and 3 jobs the rest of my life to pay for all these things I am having done!

CKA if you can do it I say go for it!

I did it, it was awesome, it's worn off after about 8 years. I need to get it re-done or start wearing glasses again. So factor that possibility in....

My wife had it done in 2004 and it's been life changing for her. My eyes are getting bad as I get older and I may have to consider it myself.

Just how expensive is this type of surgery and what is the recovery like?
I was back at work the next day, I paid a thousand about 5 years ago (might have been 6) but it was a doctor my wife did a lot of work for so he cut me a decent deal, the work he did (according to him) would normally have been about double what I paid. Not sure if that was a line of bull, but it's what I was told.

Just how expensive is this type of surgery and what is the recovery like?
found this googling lasik eye surgery cost

Average LASIK Costs
A report commissioned by AllAboutVision.com from a leading industry analyst was based on results of a survey of refractive surgeons conducted during the first quarter of 2009. Average LASIK costs were:

$2,140 for all laser-based vision correction procedures (including LASIK) in which a single price is quoted.
$1,748 for non-customized LASIK using a bladed instrument (microkeratome) and excimer lasers that are not guided by wavefront analysis.
$2,314 for wavefront-guided LASIK using a laser-created flap.
http://www.allaboutvision.com/visionsurgery/cost.htm

The desire to have this surgery out-weighs all of my sexual fantasies. I cannot wait to have it done - actually, not sure why I haven't as of yet. The idea of being able to do things like watching TV in bed, not having to deal with contacts, packing a "spare" pair of glasses when you go on vacation because you broke your main pair in a tragic St. Lucian Limbo accident.... things of that nature.

I know many folks who have done it, all infinitely happier for having done so. Only one person had any complications - supposedly they more or less "over-corrected" his eyes on the first surgery and he had to go back and have it re-done. He told me that if it had taken 5 surgeries, it would have been worth it. Not sure I quite believe that but I get his point.

The desire to have this surgery out-weighs all of my sexual fantasies. I cannot wait to have it done - actually, not sure why I haven't as of yet. The idea of being able to do things like watching TV in bed, not having to deal with contacts, packing a "spare" pair of glasses when you go on vacation because you broke your main pair in a tragic St. Lucian Limbo accident.... things of that nature.

I know many folks who have done it, all infinitely happier for having done so. Only one person had any complications - supposedly they more or less "over-corrected" his eyes on the first surgery and he had to go back and have it re-done. He told me that if it had taken 5 surgeries, it would have been worth it. Not sure I quite believe that but I get his point.
No, he's right. There are no real words to describe how much better life is when you don't have to worry about glasses or contacts.

I've not had the surgery myself, but my wife had it 2 years ago, and like everyone else has stated, it was life changing. There is quite a bit of dryness to deal with after the surgery (about 3-6 months before things got back to normal), but overall the ends more than justified the means. Good luck!

Thanks, everyone, for all the replies! I am going to research it a bit, check out docs in my area, costs, etc. I've had glasses since I was 9 years old, and frankly, don't think I look "right" without them. But, as I've gotten older, my eyes seem to keep worsening, and I'm sick of dealing with bifocals, computer glasses, frames get out of alignment and then can't see worth shit and get monster headaches, separate pair of sunglasses, yada, yada.

It's such a PITA, I would love to be able to ditch all of that and see clearly without glasses!

I would think the cost of the procedure would pay for itself relatively quickly (considering the cost of glasses, especially since I seem to need new ones every friggin year!), and the increase in QOL would definitely be a plus!

I'll let ya all know when I've made a decision. I guess the first step should be finding a reputable doc and seeing if I'm even a candidate for it.

Back