OT: Official College Basketball Thread

Reaction score
I know we've got one for FB, and I searched for BB but didn't see one. :eek:

As crappy as some of my seasons have been going lately (other than hockey) I'm going to take this time to relish in my BB seasons. Even if they don't last, and the teams tank, at least I've got this moment.

Today...

Michigan (RANKED 23!!!!!)/Illini - 74-64 (you have no idea how much fricken ass Illini crap I've had to listen to the past few years :Eason: ) - Not to mention earlier victories over Duke and UCLA :eek:

BC/UNC - 85-78

So while FB season left me in tears, BB season may just turn out better. And I know I'm chancing jinxing them just by thinking it, but my God.... Mich could just end up in a post-season tourney, and one that doesn't include the initials NIT!!!!!!! :eek:

Awesome, i love seeing those over hyped ACC media darlings(duke & unc) lose. My monday starts out wonderful!

I'm happy I had $20 dollars On NC don't going undefeated in the regular season.

How do you stay number when you lose to a team was not raked in the top 15. #2 or #3 I could believe.

Good for BC, the refs did everything possible to screw them in those last few minutes, but they held on. Big win for the program.

I hope I'm dead when March Madness gets here. Cannot stand that crap.

I know we've got one for FB, and I searched for BB but didn't see one. :eek:

As crappy as some of my seasons have been going lately (other than hockey) I'm going to take this time to relish in my BB seasons. Even if they don't last, and the teams tank, at least I've got this moment.

Today...

Michigan (RANKED 23!!!!!)/Illini - 74-64 (you have no idea how much fricken ass Illini crap I've had to listen to the past few years :Eason: ) - Not to mention earlier victories over Duke and UCLA :eek:

Huh? I was at the Friday night Coaches vs Cancer and Mich def did not beat Duke. It wasn't even very close for most of the game. I was disappointed because both games sucked.

Mich won the Dec 6 game against Duke @ Michigan, 81-73.

Ah, didn't realize they had played again. Kind of rare for non-conf opponents though I guess all of these pre-season tourney's are leading to it becoming more common. I think I may recall UCONN doing the same thing last year due to the Coaches vs Cancer also.

Anyway, really surprised to hear that. They were clearly outclassed by Duke at MSG. Nice win for a MICH fan.

Panthers ranked No. 1 for first time
Comment Email Print
ESPN.com

Pittsburgh has the Steelers pursuing a Super Bowl XLIII berth, one of the brightest young stars in the NHL in Sidney Crosby, and, well, we'll just skip the Pirates.

Now, the city also claims the top-ranked men's college basketball team in the country as its own.

For the first time in the 101 seasons of Pitt basketball, the Panthers are No. 1, making the jump from third in the ESPN/USA Today coaches' rankings on Monday after previously unbeatens North Carolina (to heavy underdog Boston College) and Connecticut (to Georgetown) lost in the last week.

Pitt received 30 of 31 first-place votes, the other going to the third-ranked, 13-1 Tar Heels, as the coaches' top 10 endured a top-to-bottom shakeup.

Pitt improved to 14-0 after winning its first two Big East games (against Rutgers and Georgetown). Its win over the Hoyas was a smackdown -- a 70-54 victory for Pitt after Georgetown had just taken out UConn on the road earlier in the week.

"I don't think it will change anything for us," Pitt coach Jamie Dixon told ESPN.com's Andy Katz on Sunday night. "We've become rivals of schools over the years, rivals of schools that weren't rivals before."

Besides Pitt, the other undefeated Division I men's teams are Wake Forest (13-0), Clemson (14-0) and Illinois State (14-0). Wake, off to its best start since the 1996-97 season, plays host to North Carolina on Sunday.

The Panthers collected 774 total points in the voting, 60 more than No. 2 Duke (12-1), which was bumped three spots in the poll. Wake Forest was fourth, followed by UConn, with the rest of the top 10 looking like Oklahoma (13-1), Texas (11-2) and UCLA (12-2) tied for seventh, Syracuse (14-1) and Georgetown (10-2).

Eleventh-ranked Clemson kicked off the second 10 after a five-spot jump, followed by Michigan State (11-2), Notre Dame (10-3), Purdue (11-3), Marquette (13-2), Arizona State (12-2), Villanova (12-2), Xavier (11-2), Minnesota (13-1) and Top 25 newcomer Butler (12-1).

No. 21 Louisville (9-3), West Virginia (11-2), Baylor (12-2), Boston College (13-2) and Tennessee (9-3) rounded out the Top 25. Gonzaga, Ohio State and Michigan dropped out of the poll.

With the Steelers playing host to San Diego in the NFL's AFC divisional playoffs on Sunday, it could take some heat off Pitt this week. The Panthers' next game is Sunday against St. John's.

"[A No. 1 ranking] doesn't mean much to me, but it will mean something to other people," Dixon said Sunday night. "It won't mean much to our players. We've been consistently good, but at the same time we haven't won a national championship, so nothing changes."

I would love to know the person who gave them a first place vote; probably dicky v that idiot

Maybe it's because I never had a horse in this but I NEVER found college basketball interesting enough to watch a whole game. Whenever it aired on ESPN or CBS, I always thought "Come on! There has to be something better than this!"

I would love to know the person who gave them a first place vote; probably dicky v that idiot

just curious but is he hated everywhere as much as he is in syracuse? I'm going to the SU Notre Dame game on the 17th and I expect nothing but a chorus of 30,000 boos if Vitale is introduced. Outside of the ACC I can't see him being very popular.

Maybe it's because I never had a horse in this but I NEVER found college basketball interesting enough to watch a whole game. Whenever it aired on ESPN or CBS, I always thought "Come on! There has to be something better than this!"

march madness is one of my favorite times of the year, i love it better than the nba ;)

Back