OT: Saw 3 - Anyone Gonna See This?

cka203

GO COLTS!
Reaction score
With Halloween fast approaching and the opening of Saw 3 right around the corner, I thought I'd ask about this.

Anyone here see Saw or Saw 2? I haven't seen either one, but saw the previews for Saw 3 and thought... what the heck is this movie about?

I like good horror flicks, but not "B movies".

Is this a good film? What's the gist of it? The storyline?

I've visited the web site, and still can't figure it out.

They are both excellent....Annihilus recommends seeing the first two prior to seeing the third, as the storylines are linked and contain something of a progressive plotline.

Basically the gist of the plot revolves around this dude that is terminally ill and he decides that people don't realize just how good life is and they just slide through without realizing it. So he captures them and puts them somewhere (in a room or a locked house) where they need to solve a series of puzzles in order to be set free. If they aren't able to overcome the challenges he's placed in front of them, they die.

Great movies if you like horror films. The first was a classic, but #2 was good too. The filmmakers do a great job building and releasing tension throughout the movies. Excellent Halloween movies.

Probably won't see it in the theater, but almost certainly will make the purchase when the DVD is released. Own the first 2, love them both.

Definitely not in the 'B' movie class of horror flicks, no Freddies, or Chuckies or Jasons here (of course, those are cool too!)

These movies have to do more with the mind than senseless killings. These movies give me goosebumps when not many other movies can.

Don't see Saw 3 if you haven't seen the first two.

Overall they are terrific horror flicks

Thanks, everyone! Looks like I need to rent the first 2 and see what I've been missing. I love psychological thrillers, and I don't mind blood and gore. I just hate "B-movies". Sounds like this series of films may be right up my alley! Appreciate the info!

cka203 on 10-26-2006 at 07:29 AM said:
Thanks, everyone! Looks like I need to rent the first 2 and see what I've been missing. I love psychological thrillers, and I don't mind blood and gore. I just hate "B-movies". Sounds like this series of films may be right up my alley! Appreciate the info!

They're definately not B-Movies. They didn't spend a whole lot of cash on the first one, but you couldn't tell by the quality of the film. The filming's great and the acting even better. By the time they made the second one, they got a lot bigger budget because of the success of the first one.

You could enjoy the 3rd movie without seeing the first two, but it would kind of ruin the first two for you if/when you went back and watch them afterwards.

BizarroAnnihilus on 10-25-2006 at 03:34 PM said:
They are both excellent....Annihilus recommends seeing the first two prior to seeing the third, as the storylines are linked and contain something of a progressive plotline.

Basically the gist of the plot revolves around this dude that is terminally ill and he decides that people don't realize just how good life is and they just slide through without realizing it. So he captures them and puts them somewhere (in a room or a locked house) where they need to solve a series of puzzles in order to be set free. If they aren't able to overcome the challenges he's placed in front of them, they die.

Great movies if you like horror films. The first was a classic, but #2 was good too. The filmmakers do a great job building and releasing tension throughout the movies. Excellent Halloween movies.
What the bug said ...

3 thumbs up and a SNAP! :thumb:

cka said:
I like good horror flicks, but not "B movies".[/B]

So this explains why you like the Colts so much. Good build up with gory endings. ;)

ABSOLUTELY watch them in order, maybe do a marathon of 1 and 2 at home then see 3 in the theater. :D

I'm waiting for the collector's box set of all 3 to come out on DVD before I buy... It hasn't been an easy wait.

Sounds like you'd really enjoy them.

[edit]
Oh - yeah - we're going this saturday night to see 3 in the theater.
[/Edit]

I "saw" part one and as a long time horror movie fan thought it was interesting but maybe a bit derivative.

Atmospheric and depressing? Yep, and that's not necessarily bad. It worked for "Seven" which is one of the all-time greats and a movie that I think the screenwriters of Saw drew heavily from.

The flicks that I want to see in that genre but didn't get a chance to catch in the theater are The Descent and the new Texas Chainsaw one.

Not for nothing, but I couldn't concentrate on the first Chainsaw remake because I was too busy focusing on Jessica Biel's heaving sweater pies straining against her wafer-thin belly shirt. The new one is supposed to be a much better horror flick, but I'll miss those boobs.

Two puppies fighting under a blanket.

Hawg73 on 10-26-2006 at 08:20 AM said:
I "saw" part one and as a long time horror movie fan thought it was interesting but maybe a bit derivative.

Atmospheric and depressing? Yep, and that's not necessarily bad. It worked for "Seven" which is one of the all-time greats and a movie that I think the screenwriters of Saw drew heavily from.

The problem IMHO is Hollywood doesn't know how to make decent horror movies so the answer is to just push the envelope on torturing people on screen and see how much the audience can take.

Reminds me of a quote from Stephen King's Danse Macabre that I can't remember all of offhand and I'm at work so I'll have to get it out later to post on here.

I haven't seen either of the first two despite the fact that my roommate owns both. I'd rather watch it with my lady cuz then I could feel all big and cool when she's hiding and I'm not... :p

I think a guy from Kansas City was the one that did the second one (and maybe the third), so I feel kinda like a traitor for not checkin' out the mad skills of a fellow Midwesterner!

You'll really feel like an idiot in the first Saw when you see where the killer is.

Yeah, my husband is dying to see it. I liked them too. I am more of a comedy gal, but these are worth watching. Not cheesy at all.

Back