OT: Should A Jar of Salsa Hiss At You When You Open It?

RoadGrader

Pervertas Emeritus
Reaction score
this has been bothering me all day and now I need a quick answer

this AM, in preparing for my day, I decided that I would make baked softwrap tortillas w/ refried beans, onion, minced garlic, ground beef, shredded cheese and salsa for din-din tonight

I has this previously opened jar of Mango&Peach Salsa in the frig soes I decide to open it and give 'er the 'ol schnozz test and the damn thing hissed at me like an opening door on the Starship Enterprise when I unscrewed the lid

then as I'm looking into the jar there was this haze of gas-like smoke coming out --- but everything smelled fine and looked OK --- no grays or florescent limegreens or crazy colors going on in there

should I use this stuff or not?? --- it has only been in there for about 2 1/2 weeks since I first opened it and tightly resealed it

your prompt replies would be appreciated

The only thing that should hiss is a snake or an air leak. Anything else ain't worth the risk. What do you value more: a case of salmonella, or three bucks?

The warm air from when you opened it condesed from the cold fridge creating the hiss.

If theres no fuglies on it and it passed a quick taste test yous ok.

I'm coming over for dinner.

You shouldn't eat it simply because it is salsa.

You won't know until tomorrow morning, if you see freckles, thats a bad sign.

I think it should be okay. Just pent up air inside of it. If it looks and smells fine (plus you are going to cook it) it should be okay.

If this advice is bad, I apologize, in advance, for the freckles. :archive:

Ahh, I see the azz slugs and freckles have already been mentioned. We are a clever bunch, no?

If it was a previously opened jar, then there's a good chance the stuff has fermented in the fridge (depending on brand, persvatives, etc... that's not uncommon). Spoilage would produce the same result, but the smell would most likely be nastified. I remember at least once having a little takeout thing of salsa from the local Mexican place (in this case Acapulco's in Norwood) that I had left out on the counter for a couple of days. The top had popped open and some of the liquid was bubbling out.

As for is it safe to eat? Probably, but I'd be weary. Some of those ingredients can get funky with each other over time, and you'd be popping a nice juicy chemical orgy in your mouth.

:confused::confused::confused:

what if it was pasta sauce? what would you have said then? :shake:

Same thing as JH, I wouldn't worry about it. And pasta sauce doesn't come from a jar, it comes from a pot on the stove.

I would say the answer to this question would depend on if you are camping at the time or not.

I just looked up on the Santa Barbara Salsa website and I found this

http://www.sbsalsa.com/indexfaq.html

so it says anything previously opened should be "OK for 20 or so days" before it "loses [FONT=Arial,New Font,New Font,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular]its bright flavor notes" ROFL

didn't say anything about hissing or fermenting :spock:
[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,New Font,New Font,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular]
[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,New Font,New Font,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular]

[/FONT]

Babalu is more afraid of a hissing jar of salsa than he is getting cut.

REAL pasta sauce comes in a jar if you make it and can it yourself like they do in the babalu household.
Country-style ribs....... they aint just for grilling anymore

Back