OT: Southern Maine v. Northern Maine

PatsFanLisa

No filter
Reaction score
Hahahaha...this is funny. How bad does it have to be up in Northern Maine that Southern Maine doesn't want anything to do with it? I'll be waiting for your answer, Paranoid Patriot. ROFL

From BSS:

Southern Maine Wants To Form Their Own State Called Northern Massachusetts

AUGUSTA, Maine — A lawmaker from northern Maine has launched another attempt to divide Maine into two states. Rep. Henry Joy’s proposal gives new fuel to the notion of there being two Maines — the prosperous, populated south, and rural north. He says he was inspired by a proposal to create North Woods natural preserve that would remove valuable woodlands from further economic development. To be considered by the Legislature, Joy’s proposal would have to clear the Legislative Council, something that’s unlikely so late in the legislative session. Under Joy’s plan, the state of Maine would encompass Aroostook, Piscataquis, Somerset, Franklin, Penobscot, and parts of Washington, Hancock and Oxford counties. Southern and coastal Maine would be renamed the state of Northern Massachusetts.

Woa! Hold on just a god damn minute here! Because with all do respect to Maine there is no ****ing way Southern Maine is worthy of calling themselves Northern Massachusetts and leaching off our reputation. I mean I haven’t heard anything this outrageous since Lynn wanted to change their name to Ocean Park. Don’t worry though I got a solution. Just call Northern Maine Southern Canada and Southern Maine just becomes Maine. There problem solved. Because as much as I love Maniacs they still have a long way to go in terms of civilization before being allowed to associate with a real state like us.

PS – I almost feel bad for Northern Maine here. I mean how disgusting do you have to be that the Southern part of the state wants to secede from you? I mean we’re not talking about the Hollywood crowd here. It’s ****ing Maine. If you’re too disgusting for them then you’re probably too disgusting for life.

LMAO :doh: Actually we have an office up in Caribou, ME waaaaayyy up there. Really nice people but there ain't sh*t to do! The biggest thing they have is the annual mashed potato wrestling thingy. Yes you read that right.

LMAO :doh: Actually we have an office up in Caribou, ME waaaaayyy up there. Really nice people but there ain't sh*t to do! The biggest thing they have is the annual mashed potato wrestling thingy. Yes you read that right.

My brother in law is from Caribou! I was up there for the wedding this past September.

It was quite the drive! Mainly the girlfriend and I were just glad we didn't hit any moose on the way up. (Or the way down.. But the trip up was in the pitch balck of night! :eek: )

Seriously. There are basically two very different parts of Maine. I am not in favor of a seperation, but I understand where this is coming from...

Screw being Northern Massachusetts There are enough Massholes here skiing on our mountains and driving up prices of our land on the lakes and coastlines...

Northern Maine is losing it's population more and more each year. Other than Waterville/Oakland and Bangor/Brewer there really is not much north of Lewiston-Auburn to speak of. TBL is sooo effin right there is nothing to do up there...hell there is not much to do way down here in Auburn either...(please do not make L/A part of Southern Canada...PLEASE!)...

Southern Maine has its issues too, but they are much more like the other New England issues...but I regress.

Remember Maine is only a state because Missouri wanted to have slaves when it was ready for statehood (Missouri Compromise anyone?) so maybe we should still be part of Massachusetts....NOT!!!!!

lol....really...

My brother in law is from Caribou! I was up there for the wedding this past September.

It was quite the drive! Mainly the girlfriend and I were just glad we didn't hit any moose on the way up. (Or the way down.. But the trip up was in the pitch balck of night! :eek: )

That's funny! What does he do for work? LOL

They usually send our people on lil dinky airplanes when going up there. Driving to Orono was bad enough for me forget Caribou LOL

Seriously. There are basically two very different parts of Maine. I am not in favor of a seperation, but I understand where this is coming from...

Screw being Northern Massachusetts There are enough Massholes here skiing on our mountains and driving up prices of our land on the lakes and coastlines...

Northern Maine is losing it's population more and more each year. Other than Waterville/Oakland and Bangor/Brewer there really is not much north of Lewiston-Auburn to speak of. TBL is sooo effin right there is nothing to do up there...hell there is not much to do way down here in Auburn either...(please do not make L/A part of Southern Canada...PLEASE!)...

Southern Maine has its issues too, but they are much more like the other New England issues...but I regress.

Remember Maine is only a state because Missouri wanted to have slaves when it was ready for statehood (Missouri Compromise anyone?) so maybe we should still be part of Massachusetts....NOT!!!!!

lol....really...

Would it be fair to say that Northern Maine is lots and lots of wilderness? I say that as someone who has yet to visit the US...

Also, serious question: have you ever seen a black bear in the wild?

As a person who grew up in Presque Isle (adjacent to Caribou) I'd like to point out that Northern Maine is actually seceeding from Southern Maine, and every one in Maine hates everyone from Mass. so calling Southern Maine Northern Mass. is a huge jab at them

Would it be fair to say that Northern Maine is lots and lots of wilderness? I say that as someone who has yet to visit the US...

Oh heck yeah. They visit. :)

bear1small.jpg

You're actually more likely to see one at a dumpster at a condo complex or restaurant or something.

Aroostook County is roughly the side of Rhode Island and has approximately 70,000 people (that is where I grew up)

As a person who grew up in Presque Isle (adjacent to Caribou) I'd like to point out that Northern Maine is actually seceeding from Southern Maine, and every one in Maine hates everyone from Mass. so calling Southern Maine Northern Mass. is a huge jab at them

Southern Maine Wants To Form Their Own State Called Northern Massachusetts

AUGUSTA, Maine — A lawmaker from northern Maine...

The writer must be Massachusetts-educated. :)

Would it be fair to say that Northern Maine is lots and lots of wilderness?

More wilderness than pretty much any other region east of the Mississippi.

And once you get north of Portland, the population starts thinning out bigtime. I'm originally from northern New Hampshire, which is similar in lots of ways, but the woods of Maine make New Hampshire look like a state park or something.

Aroostook County is roughly the side of Rhode Island and has approximately 70,000 people (that is where I grew up)

Shit! We have that many people within a mile (each way) of us. Greater London has a population of around 10 Million (an area of about 30 miles by 30 miles).

We are so going to have to do a trip to some of the more remote parts of New England when we come over.

Just call Northern Maine Southern Canada
Ah, no. This Canadian taxpayer aint interested in adopting the Northern Maine folks. Maybe Quebec would should they ever separate?

OMFG YES! Lots and lots and lots more.

Yes, a few times on rafting trips, but never down here in my back yard or anything...

I had a big mother charge my son and myself on our back lawn(with a cub)....I turned to tell him to run,and all I saw was his tighty whities scrambling up the hill and leaving his dad for the bear.....smart kid....:)

Back