Other games Week 5

Anyway,

Yeah I remember Patriots fans after New England won that first super bowl doing the same thing after the Patriots had been a shit team for, what, decades? Gimme a break

Regardless, this Buffalo team, this year is legit!
No, no, no...We knew we were crap and didn't think we were great, even after the first SB. Are you serious? It was a magical SB year and the stadium had been sold out for almost 10 years prior to that anyway. Buffalo doesn't have a mafia if their stadium isn't sold out until recent seasons.

I am just saying, even the "mafia" term is kinda weird, too. They're the little puppy that pulls on the pantleg until they actually win something.

Besides a few hiccups, I think if the bill’s wanted to play softball, the chiefs wouldn’t be able to stop them. I’m loving it, watching the chefs crap in their own stadium is great.
On their lame message board, there are a whole lot of "bUt LaSt YeAr..." posts. They aren't really good fans over there

I hate Frank Clark, but that call was terrible. It sucks seeing the refs get involved all the time.

Same here, Clark actually caught Allen as he was falling to the ground and gets a roughing the passer call for his efforts.

That Chefs defense is absolute trash, they won’t even win their division.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Same here, Clark actually caught Allen as he was falling to the ground and gets a roughing the passer call for his efforts.

That Chefs defense is absolute trash, they won’t even win their division.

The refs were mostly for the Chefs all night though...

No, no, no...We knew we were crap and didn't think we were great, even after the first SB. Are you serious? It was a magical SB year and the stadium had been sold out for almost 10 years prior to that anyway. Buffalo doesn't have a mafia if their stadium isn't sold out until recent seasons.

I am just saying, even the "mafia" term is kinda weird, too. They're the little puppy that pulls on the pantleg until they actually win something.
I don't know what you're talking about. The Bills were selling out regularly during the down seasons. Every game? No, but most games and you want to compare selling out to a city the size of Boston to a city the size of Buffalo??
OK....

The refs were mostly for the Chefs all night though...

Doesn’t change the fact that that was a bad call, took away an interception for the Chefs and led to another Bills TD. The TD is on the Chefs defense (or lack thereof) but that was a momentum killer for the Chefs.

Still glad the Chefs lost though.

Doesn’t change the fact that that was a bad call, took away an interception for the Chefs and led to another Bills TD. The TD is on the Chefs defense (or lack thereof) but that was a momentum killer for the Chefs.

Still glad the Chefs lost though.

1) It wasn't a bad call. Bad rule maybe, but not a bad call. It was the Rodgers Rule - can't land with your full weight on the QB; too much risk of a shoulder separation, broken ribs, etc. You're expected to pull him down and land beside him. Watch the replay on here and you'll see he clearly lands with his full weight on him, driving him into the ground.

"A rushing defender is prohibited from committing such intimidating and punishing acts as “stuffing” a passer into the ground or unnecessarily wrestling or driving him down after the passer has thrown the ball, even if the rusher makes his initial contact with the passer within the one-step limitation provided for in (a) above. When tackling a passer who is in a defenseless posture (e.g., during or just after throwing a pass), a defensive player must not unnecessarily or violently throw him down or land on top of him with all or most of the defender’s weight. Instead, the defensive player must strive to wrap up the passer with the defensive player’s arms and not land on the passer with all or most of his body weight."

It's pretty clear Frank Clark was in violation of this rule even at first glance. I know Chris Colinsworth was incredulous because he doesn't know basic football rules, but yeah, not a bad call.

2) The Chiefs had their own fair share of questionable calls. The Kelce flop on the uncatchable ball which was somehow "pass interference" extending a drive and leading to a KC TD, for example. The defender makes minimal contact with Kelce other than hand fighting, Kelce flops, the flag comes out even though the ball was 15-20 downfield, and the drive stays alive. Of course Colinsworth with his tremendous football acumen says Kelce was "thrown to the ground, basically", but to anyone with eyes the flop was incredibly clear. Let's not pretend that the flags stole the game from the Chiefs in an 18 point loss.

3) The real momentum killer was Mahomes getting picked off in the red zone, or maybe the pick six. Not sure which is worse, restarting a drive but now down 7 more, or getting within scoring distance only to walk away with nothing thanks to a bad pick. If you factor in that pretty clear 14 point swing, the Chiefs still would have lost, of course, but at least they'd have been within 10. The Chiefs have the worst defense in the NFL, this won't be the last game they lose this year. Mahomes is the 9th best QB in the NFL by passer rating right now, so certainly they'll win plenty as well. Especially considering 2 of the 8 QBs ahead of him are injured right now (Burrow and Wilson). But while he leads the league in TDs, he's tied for 3rd in Ints. He's not exceptional at pre-snap or even post-snap reads, and everyone knows the 3 elite players on the team (Hill, Kelce, and Mahomes) so the amount of wide open shots to them continues to drop. Meanwhile despite that, Mahomes has a 130.9 passer rating when targeting them this season, and an 84.0 when targeting anyone else on the field. It's not like the rest of the team is stepping up to take advantage of the opportunities. Rather, Mahomes still has more completions to those two than to everyone else on the team combined. So they'll continue to draw double teams, and the more they fade, the more Mahomes will.

Watching the KC v Bills game and yet again, a kicker kicked out of bounds!! What the hell is happening there? There has been a spate of this stuff.

I don't know what you're talking about. The Bills were selling out regularly during the down seasons. Every game? No, but most games and you want to compare selling out to a city the size of Boston to a city the size of Buffalo??
OK

1) It wasn't a bad call. Bad rule maybe, but not a bad call. It was the Rodgers Rule - can't land with your full weight on the QB; too much risk of a shoulder separation, broken ribs, etc. You're expected to pull him down and land beside him. Watch the replay on here and you'll see he clearly lands with his full weight on him, driving him into the ground.

"A rushing defender is prohibited from committing such intimidating and punishing acts as “stuffing” a passer into the ground or unnecessarily wrestling or driving him down after the passer has thrown the ball, even if the rusher makes his initial contact with the passer within the one-step limitation provided for in (a) above. When tackling a passer who is in a defenseless posture (e.g., during or just after throwing a pass), a defensive player must not unnecessarily or violently throw him down or land on top of him with all or most of the defender’s weight. Instead, the defensive player must strive to wrap up the passer with the defensive player’s arms and not land on the passer with all or most of his body weight."

It's pretty clear Frank Clark was in violation of this rule even at first glance. I know Chris Colinsworth was incredulous because he doesn't know basic football rules, but yeah, not a bad call.

2) The Chiefs had their own fair share of questionable calls. The Kelce flop on the uncatchable ball which was somehow "pass interference" extending a drive and leading to a KC TD, for example. The defender makes minimal contact with Kelce other than hand fighting, Kelce flops, the flag comes out even though the ball was 15-20 downfield, and the drive stays alive. Of course Colinsworth with his tremendous football acumen says Kelce was "thrown to the ground, basically", but to anyone with eyes the flop was incredibly clear. Let's not pretend that the flags stole the game from the Chiefs in an 18 point loss.

3) The real momentum killer was Mahomes getting picked off in the red zone, or maybe the pick six. Not sure which is worse, restarting a drive but now down 7 more, or getting within scoring distance only to walk away with nothing thanks to a bad pick. If you factor in that pretty clear 14 point swing, the Chiefs still would have lost, of course, but at least they'd have been within 10. The Chiefs have the worst defense in the NFL, this won't be the last game they lose this year. Mahomes is the 9th best QB in the NFL by passer rating right now, so certainly they'll win plenty as well. Especially considering 2 of the 8 QBs ahead of him are injured right now (Burrow and Wilson). But while he leads the league in TDs, he's tied for 3rd in Ints. He's not exceptional at pre-snap or even post-snap reads, and everyone knows the 3 elite players on the team (Hill, Kelce, and Mahomes) so the amount of wide open shots to them continues to drop. Meanwhile despite that, Mahomes has a 130.9 passer rating when targeting them this season, and an 84.0 when targeting anyone else on the field. It's not like the rest of the team is stepping up to take advantage of the opportunities. Rather, Mahomes still has more completions to those two than to everyone else on the team combined. So they'll continue to draw double teams, and the more they fade, the more Mahomes will.
Dude, it was a terrible call. Larger men going full bore into tackling a QB has to obviously land on the ground or wherever it is they land. He didn't drive him into the ground. He just ended up landing on him. It was a classic gift and shifted momentum.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kJys2G7tbA0

Mecole Hardiman is going to have a really nice career with another team. How does he get 9 catches on 12 targets in the game, but 2 targets in the first half, and 1 in the 4th quarter? That's either bad playcalling, or bad QB play.

Dude, it was a terrible call. Larger men going full bore into tackling a QB has to obviously land on the ground or wherever it is they land. He didn't drive him into the ground. He just ended up landing on him. It was a classic gift and shifted momentum.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kJys2G7tbA0

Did you not read the rule? It was quoted for ease of consumption. "or land on top of him with all or most of the defender’s weight. Instead, the defensive player must strive to wrap up the passer with the defensive player’s arms and not land on the passer with all or most of his body weight." I don't care that you think it's an impossible standard, that's the rule. Again, not defending the rule at all. But if you're going to say it's a terrible call, then point out how the call is at odds with the rules as they are written. Otherwise, it's the ref's job to enforce those rules as they are written, not to enforce what the fans want to see, what's common sense, or what they subjectively think the rules should be. The reality is, if they can't help landing on the QB when going full bore, then they can't go full bore. They must be controlled enough to be able to dive to the side of the QB and take the QB down with them. Much like if someone slams on their brakes in front of you, and you crash into them, you're at fault because the legal expectation is that you be in control of your car enough to appropriately respond to that without a crash, at a safe enough follow distance, etc.

Again the rule is stupid, and actively worsens the game, in my opinion. But a call is only bad if the call doesn't line up with the rule, and you not liking the fact that such a violation is inevitable in that situation doesn't negate the fact that it was in fact a violation.

Did you not read the rule? It was quoted for ease of consumption. "or land on top of him with all or most of the defender’s weight. Instead, the defensive player must strive to wrap up the passer with the defensive player’s arms and not land on the passer with all or most of his body weight." I don't care that you think it's an impossible standard, that's the rule. Again, not defending the rule at all. But if you're going to say it's a terrible call, then point out how the call is at odds with the rules as they are written. Otherwise, it's the ref's job to enforce those rules as they are written, not to enforce what the fans want to see, what's common sense, or what they subjectively think the rules should be. The reality is, if they can't help landing on the QB when going full bore, then they can't go full bore. They must be controlled enough to be able to dive to the side of the QB and take the QB down with them. Much like if someone slams on their brakes in front of you, and you crash into them, you're at fault because the legal expectation is that you be in control of your car enough to appropriately respond to that without a crash, at a safe enough follow distance, etc.

Again the rule is stupid, and actively worsens the game, in my opinion. But a call is only bad if the call doesn't line up with the rule, and you not liking the fact that such a violation is inevitable in that situation doesn't negate the fact that it was in fact a violation.
"must strive"

Please.

I mean, Allen's weight gets flipped at the last second around the waist. Do you realize how fast that happens in real time? Where is he supposed to go? Is he supposed to use his go-go gadget extra arm and somehow not have himself on top of Allen?

Horrible call. If that had gone against us in that situation, I would have jumped through the tv.

Mecole Hardiman is going to have a really nice career with another team. How does he get 9 catches on 12 targets in the game, but 2 targets in the first half, and 1 in the 4th quarter? That's either bad playcalling, or bad QB play.
He's another reason why this is happening. He's been a bust.

He's another reason why this is happening. He's been a bust.
Completely disagree. I think he's been great, but Mahones doesn't throw to him nearly enough. Whether that's gameplan or the QB. Continuing to throw to Hill in double coverage, or not running the ball when the other team is giving it to you, is some pretty dysfunctional shit. And reminds me of the Favre Packers, only throwing to Antonio Freeman, and ignoring the run altogether.

Back