Palindromes

Oedipus Tex

Reaction score
Typically you're talking about numbers, like 12321, that are the same backwards as forwards.

But palindromic words are more fun. Both "ma'am" and "madam" are palindromes, but better than that are sentences.

"Madam, I'm Adam." is one, but I like the more complicated (and historically accurate ones better:

"Able was I, ere I saw Elba" (about Napoleon)

"A Man, a Plan, a Canal: Panama" is my absolute favorite, though.

Does anyone else know any of these?

You wouldn't happen to have the amazing trivia daily calender by any chance would you?

Today's question was asking what a semordnilap is. I think what scared me was that I actually knew. For those playing at home, a semordnilap is wording spelling a different word backwards, like live and evil.

As for palindromes. Panama was always one of my favorites.

Others I like:

Go hang a salami. I'm a lasagna hog.
Murder for a jar of redrum.

what a morning. first, i tried to log on to cold, hard football facts.com for some biased pats news and Borges bashing and was locked out by their server or my computer or something... then i logged on here and we're talking palindromes instead of football. ok i have a few.

my favorite (when I was a kid) was the back of #73's jersey - HANNAH

or... madam, in eden, i'm adam

or... egad! a base tone denotes a bad age

or... pa's a sap

My favorite:

Ten animals I slam in a net.

Welcome to the board, dreith. :thumb:

Thanks undertaker... can't wait to talk football instead of palindromes. here in the bay area i'm already racking up hundreds of dollars in personal bets with the denizens of that ship of fools known as raider nation. they think because they signed moss and jordan they are coming into our house on opening night and leaving with a victory. needless to say, i wait until after we shake on the bet before i remind them that our squad has won almost as many playoff games (6) in the past two seasons as those bums have won regular season games (8).

one more palindrome for you...

Anee, I vote more cars race Rome to Vienna

Yeah, just a bad time of year for much to talk about with football. We have threads like this to help us get through it. Still if you come across anything football related that you think others might be interested in, feel free to post it.

I'm almost at the point where I could argue about Hochstein vs Mruczkowski at LG. :banghead:

OOPS! misspelling a palindrome takes all the.. um... palindrome out of it.

what i meant to say was...

Anne, I vote more cars race Rome to Vienna

excellent spelling undertaker! i thought it was Mrzcuzckvnszzszkowski.

it's always fun in the Bay because there are always Raiders fans to torture!! I saw one yesterday, his van festooned with Raiders paraphernalia, and I just walked by him and pointed to the flying elvis on my hat. he got pissed and started with his tuck rule gibberish and i just went at him. it was a blast. "commitment to excrement" I explained. soon the sox will be in town and we can do more of the same at the coliseum - sox hats, pats jerseys - good times!

only a couple of weeks until the draft. then we'll have endless opportunity for football geek speculation.

Back