Patriots get Devante Parker (Merged)

Agree to disagree...the ONLY way that they're not overpaid is for both of them to have an amazing next year. :coffee:
The FA class was not very good last year compared to this year. It would have been smarter not to spend everything last year and sign better players this year.

Parker is waaaaay better than Harry especially as a possession receiver.

View: https://twitter.com/PFF_Patriots/status/1510721673435176967

Respectfully, I think of a possession receiver as a WR who catches a ton of balls, catches a very high rate of targets, and gets a lot of first downs. Not a guy (Parker) who in his career only catches 55-60% of his targets. Parker isn't a possession receiver with how many times he does not come down with a catch. He's just a serviceable NKeal Harry or maybe what Josh Gordon was on the Pats. Bourne (and I dare say Meyers) are arguably better to put on the field. Well maybe just Bourne.

In regards to the trade, since this is the year with a large quantity of players, super seniors, isn't getting a 5th round pick equivalent to a 4th, making it a bit better deal for the Pats.

Respectfully, I think of a possession receiver as a WR who catches a ton of balls, catches a very high rate of targets, and gets a lot of first downs. Not a guy (Parker) who in his career only catches 55-60% of his targets. Parker isn't a possession receiver with how many times he does not come down with a catch. He's just a serviceable NKeal Harry or maybe what Josh Gordon was on the Pats. Bourne (and I dare say Meyers) are arguably better to put on the field. Well maybe just Bourne.

I disagree. Catch rate measures % of targets caught without allowing for off target throws. You're implying he drops a lot of balls and that's not the case. His catch rate is lower than average but it's bc his QBs, other than Tannehill & Fitzpatrick, were so far off target the balls were uncatchable. Look at his catch rate with those 2 QBs.

His 1st down rate is actually better than JE11's. 236 1st downs in 342 catches is the definition of a possession receiver. That's 15% better than JE11's 1st down rate of 55%
PFF rates him as average to good at 7.1% drops. JE11 has an 11% drop rate for his career. In addition, Parker has only 2 fumbles over his career.
Catch rate is as much or more about the QB's accuracy as about the WR and sometimes it's more about the QB as with Devante Parker. Drop rate is on the WR.

Last edited:
Back