Patriots Offensive Line

Status
Not open for further replies.
If he isn't athletic enough to play G how in the world is he athletic enough to play T? Speed rushers will be around him like he wasn't even there.

Read his prior reports and profiles. It was never a good move to convert a stretch zone left tackle (where his best strength is blind side pass protection, and weak in mean streak run blocking) and think he’s a right guard. But we’re in agreement. Leatherwood is not a good right guard. He never should have been put there.

View: https://youtu.be/C_U1zw1bjaw

Last edited:
If he isn't athletic enough to play G how in the world is he athletic enough to play T? Speed rushers will be around him like he wasn't even there.
Apparently the problem wasn't with his athleticism, but he was getting fooled and beat on leverage. I'm not saying he's good, but I don't think it's an issue of not being athletic enough. He faced plenty of top speed rushers at OT and did a lot better than fine. It was a bad fit all around, and that can be for any number of reasons.

Apparently the problem wasn't with his athleticism, but he was getting fooled and beat on leverage. I'm not saying he's good, but I don't think it's an issue of not being athletic enough. He faced plenty of top speed rushers at OT and did a lot better than fine. It was a bad fit all around, and that can be for any number of reasons.

I watched him through Bama til now. He's about as slow footed as an OT can be. If he gets his hands on you, you're dead meat so there's that.
How bad was he for the Raiders? So bad that they were willing to take on $79M in future dead cap to get rid of him. That's bad.

The 17th overall pick in the 2021 NFL Draft, Leatherwood was considered to be a reach pick at the time, but no one could have foreseen the struggles he would experience as a rookie.
While he did start all 17 games last season, Leatherwood ended up being graded out as one of the worst offensive lineman in the NFL.
Leatherwood was called for 14 penalties last year, the 3rd most in the league, and gave up eight sacks, which was 2nd most.
His 65 total pressures allowed were also the most given up in the NFL last year, showcasing his inability to even be an average pass protector.
Leatherwood received a final grade from Pro Football Focus of 45.0 overall, which was third to last among tackles.
It was such an issue that Leatherwood was moved to guard after the first four games last season.

Last edited:
I watched him through Bama til now. He's about as slow footed as an OT can be. If he gets his hands on you, you're dead meat so there's that.
How bad was he for the Raiders? So bad that they were willing to take on $79M in future dead cap to get rid of him. That's bad.

The 17th overall pick in the 2021 NFL Draft, Leatherwood was considered to be a reach pick at the time, but no one could have foreseen the struggles he would experience as a rookie.
While he did start all 17 games last season, Leatherwood ended up being graded out as one of the worst offensive lineman in the NFL.
Leatherwood was called for 14 penalties last year, the 3rd most in the league, and gave up eight sacks, which was 2nd most.
His 65 total pressures allowed were also the most given up in the NFL last year, showcasing his inability to even be an average pass protector.
Leatherwood received a final grade from Pro Football Focus of 45.0 overall, which was third to last among tackles.
It was such an issue that Leatherwood was moved to guard after the first four games last season.
I get it, and I didn't watch him play. I was just going by his success in a tough conference with top pass rushers in an offense that didn't shy away from passing. I mean, slow footed OTs in passing attacks don't habitually win the Outland. And he's only about 2 tenths of a second slower in the 40 than LilJordan, after all.

Doesn't matter anyway. If he's worth a reclamation project I'm sure a foxborough-tuscaloosaa text exchange would have shone a light on it.

We were fans of Alex here in this house. The transition to the pros is not always smooth if achievable. But lost track of him once he left Bama.

An obvious possibility would be he’s not a right side player. The same way Herron is terrible as a right tackle but somehow a decent backup at left tackle. Leatherwood either moves back left or he’s out of the league soon. I dont know how good Chicago’s LT is

Hurley here has a good piece summarizing the woes since Thanksgiving last year. OLine problems, weakest/easiest AFC schedule last season, and why the Pats went 1-3 to end the year.

Article today outlining the offensive woes starting with Oline

Disclaimer: Everything in this article must be taken with a massive grain of salt. No team enters preseason ready to play a real game, and some take longer to gel than others. Preseason is also a time to try things, make mistakes, and learn what kind of team you have. One way or another, the team we have seen will not be the team that finishes the season.

Namaste.

Even the author felt the need to begin his story with the above. It is plain common sense. Teams take time to grow and integrate players and changes.

But we all know what Mark Twain said about common sense, don't we?

Disclaimer: Everything in this article must be taken with a massive grain of salt. No team enters preseason ready to play a real game, and some take longer to gel than others. Preseason is also a time to try things, make mistakes, and learn what kind of team you have. One way or another, the team we have seen will not be the team that finishes the season.

Namaste.

Even the author felt the need to begin his story with the above. It is plain common sense. Teams take time to grow and integrate players and changes.

Well, some might just skip that part. Like our cognoscente. The rest of it stomps the Pats pretty good, no? And that's all that matters, right?

Look, there are clearly very real problems that it's not smart to gloss over in assessing the team. That said, there are very reasonable answers to most of the team's issues.

For example, the OL has a lot of guys at new positions and/or inexperienced players, and mostly looked terrible. However, most of the problems came from wide zone blocking, which will likely not be nearly as widely used as in the preseason when they were trying to rep it. The cohesion and assignments will likely come as they get used to the new communication scheme and the people next to them. Belichick has a history of dropping down and becoming very hands-on in areas that are not showing sufficient performance, and very rarely does he allow an area to flounder beyond Halloween. While we can expect a painful start to the season - depending on how we look I'd be thrilled to start 2-2 - here is a long stretch where the OL can absorb some growing pains and still have team success while being a work-in-progress and developing momentum.

Look, there are clearly very real problems that it's not smart to gloss over in assessing the team. That said, there are very reasonable answers to most of the team's issues.

For example, the OL has a lot of guys at new positions and/or inexperienced players, and mostly looked terrible. However, most of the problems came from wide zone blocking, which will likely not be nearly as widely used as in the preseason when they were trying to rep it. The cohesion and assignments will likely come as they get used to the new communication scheme and the people next to them. Belichick has a history of dropping down and becoming very hands-on in areas that are not showing sufficient performance, and very rarely does he allow an area to flounder beyond Halloween. While we can expect a painful start to the season - depending on how we look I'd be thrilled to start 2-2 - here is a long stretch where the OL can absorb some growing pains and still have team success while being a work-in-progress and developing momentum.

2-2 would be good. Starting 2-4 last year was certainly a wake-up call.

Well, some might just skip that part. Like our cognoscente. The rest of it stomps the Pats pretty good, no? And that's all that matters, right?
To the haterz, yes that is al that matters.

Namaste.

I always try to not put much credence into the preseason. Most of the time you are seeing vanilla O and D where the staff is really looking to see how a play may fit.

In other news, Ted Karras was just named a captain of the Superbowl-attending Bengals squad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back