Patriots Offensive Line

Status
Not open for further replies.
I noticed Ferentz going in for Strange after the play where (I think) he messed up his assignment, but they were rotating guys due to the heat, so we can't really assume it was a
spanking for the big rookie who, despite rumors to the contrary, is not a waste of a draft pick. I expect Billy Yates did go over to Cole and make sure he had things straight, assuming
Billy himself knows. Perhaps those that can't do really can teach, but when Yates was an OL here, he made Justin Herron look like Walter Jones.

I see Cole Strange as well ahead of the curve of what we could reasonably expect from him, even if he did mentally fuck up there. Play in and play out he's getting his job done. He's going
to be outstanding in time.
I still haven't found a video of the game...😶

Just jumping in to say that I have a pretty high degree of faith that Billy Yates knows the assignments, reads, checks, and generally the mental and technique parts of the game. I mean, he wasn't exactly physically dominant and he kept managing to secure OL jobs for a friggin' decade. He was perennially a backup, which means he was the guy coaches kept not being able to cut/replace with someone bigger/faster/stronger.

I've been impressed with Strange thus far. I still question the positional value of an OG in round 1, but if you thought he was John Hannah, you'd pull the trigger. He's far from physically dominant - he's fine, smooth and quick but a little weak - but the understanding of what he's doing, of angles & leverage, and his technique all seem to be well above where you'd typically expect any rookie to be. Vs another first rounder at his position, I'd say Mankins had him beat on strength/physically, Strange may be better mentally and with technique, at least at the time of game 1. Of course Mankins had Scar.

Still, there's every reason to expect that the difference between the strength and conditioning programs of a non-P5 college and the NFL will make him significantly smoother and functionally stronger, so if he progresses even close to normally mentally, going from "fine" to "above average" physically should translate to a major performance boost.

I still haven't found a video of the game...😶

Just jumping in to say that I have a pretty high degree of faith that Billy Yates knows the assignments, reads, checks, and generally the mental and technique parts of the game. I mean, he wasn't exactly physically dominant and he kept managing to secure OL jobs for a friggin' decade. He was perennially a backup, which means he was the guy coaches kept not being able to cut/replace with someone bigger/faster/stronger.

I've been impressed with Strange thus far. I still question the positional value of an OG in round 1, but if you thought he was John Hannah, you'd pull the trigger. He's far from physically dominant - he's fine, smooth and quick but a little weak - but the understanding of what he's doing, of angles & leverage, and his technique all seem to be well above where you'd typically expect any rookie to be. Vs another first rounder at his position, I'd say Mankins had him beat on strength/physically, Strange may be better mentally and with technique, at least at the time of game 1. Of course Mankins had Scar.

Still, there's every reason to expect that the difference between the strength and conditioning programs of a non-P5 college and the NFL will make him significantly smoother and functionally stronger, so if he progresses even close to normally mentally, going from "fine" to "above average" physically should translate to a major performance boost.

Would have kept Shaq and Karras, traded Wynn, moved Onwenu to RT, freed up money trading Agholor, and spent the 1st on Dax or someone else on defense.

Would have kept Shaq and Karras, traded Wynn, moved Onwenu to RT, freed up money trading Agholor, and spent the 1st on Dax or someone else on defense.

How much cash and cap would keeping Shaq and Karras have cost? It's easy to say it but harder to make it work. The Bengals doubled what BB paid Karras in 2021 for 3 years and guaranteed $5M. (3 yrs/$18M)
Agholor's contract is difficult to trade without the Pats paying some of his salary. If the Pats could find a trade partner for his full contract the Pats would be left with $5M in dead cap along with a cap savings of $9.8M for a net cap gain of $4.8M in cap space. Chances are the Pats would have to pay in the neighborhood of $2.5M of his salary which would reduce the cap gain to $2.3M. His value to the team is worth more than $2.3M so why trade him?

They were rotating offensive linemen due to the heat.

Looks like the whole line got beat and Miami knew what play was coming.

Not just on this play but on many/most plays.

They were rotating offensive linemen due to the heat.

Looks like the whole line got beat and Miami knew what play was coming.

Specifically the right tackle (Cajuste) got his arse kicked which is where the Miami defense got the stop

Specifically the right tackle (Cajuste) got his arse kicked which is where the Miami defense got the stop
Just heard Evan L say that the Pats O was so simple Miami had it figured out quickly. No motion. No play action.
Miami had zero fear of Parker when he was used as the clear out wr.

Hindsight is 20/20. Show us your earlier posts recommending this. Thanks. That's what I thought...
I was pissed this spring when BB decided to dismantle the Oline by dumping Mason and not resigning Karras. Take a strength of the team and turn it into weakness. Good GM work there.

Talk about 20-20 hindsight, BB signs Wynn in the spring for big money then by summer they're unhappy with said player. Hey Bill why don't you sign a bunch more players you won't like in a few months.

I was pissed this spring when BB decided to dismantle the Oline by dumping Mason and not resigning Karras. Take a strength of the team and turn it into weakness. Good GM work there.

Talk about 20-20 hindsight, BB signs Wynn in the spring for big money then by summer they're unhappy with said player. Hey Bill why don't you sign a bunch more players you won't like in a few months.
Didn't BB sign Wynn last year picking up the 5th year option? I vehemently disagreed with the signing at the time and have been calling for a move to guard. That ship has sailed for me though and to me he is a 10 1/2 million dollar back up tackle.

Didn't BB sign Wynn last year picking up the 5th year option? I vehemently disagreed with the signing at the time and have been calling for a move to guard. That ship has sailed for me though and to me he is a 10 1/2 million dollar back up tackle.
More undocumented hindsight. It's rampant here.

More lies...
Q: How do you think Cole Strange played? - @PWellz

[Lazar] Strange was solid for his first time out. A few of the Pats big runs, especially early, were to the left side, where Strange's athleticism helped make positive yards. Plus, there were a few instances where he showed good awareness to pick up a stunting pass rusher. Although the timing of his rest period suggests it was a benching after a Miami sack, my guess is the plan all along was for James Ferentz to spell Strange at some point, with the Miami heat being a major factor. The sack didn't appear to be on Strange—another communication issue.

Q: How do you think Cole Strange played? - @PWellz

[Lazar] Strange was solid for his first time out. A few of the Pats big runs, especially early, were to the left side, where Strange's athleticism helped make positive yards. Plus, there were a few instances where he showed good awareness to pick up a stunting pass rusher. Although the timing of his rest period suggests it was a benching after a Miami sack, my guess is the plan all along was for James Ferentz to spell Strange at some point, with the Miami heat being a major factor. The sack didn't appear to be on Strange—another communication issue.
I was intending to be sarcastic. I thought Strange played pretty well.

Wynn should be a left guard.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back