Patriots Offseason 2022

Dugger graded out as PFF's 33rd (of 94) ranked S for 2021. He graded better than Tyrann Mathieu but a little worse than Jeremy Chinn.
Dugger graded out as their 5th best S (of 14) for 2021 from the 2020 draft class.
Adrian Phillips graded out as PFF's 8th best S for 2021, a little better than SD's Derwin James and the Bills Jordan Poyer.
DMac is PFF's 16th ranked S for 2021.

I know for certain that Caserio hand picked Harry and asked that he be able to draft him. He was given the ok in the same way a parent might give a son the keys to the car.
As a matter of fact, I can tell you that BB was in the process of letting Caserio handle the drafts, little by little, for each of those years you're speaking about. BB hoped he would do a good job to lighten his own load. It wasn't working out so well for BB.
I can also say their was a general sigh of relief, including from Kraft, when BB took full control of the draft, the scouts, their duties and their methods after Caserio left.
I cannot tell you how I know this except to say I am friends with people high inside Gillette.
Either you're a complete liar, or you are telling the truth. I don't know enough about you to say which.

I suppose that response is better than I expected. People here know me pretty well.
You will believe what you want. I can't say more.
Sorry I don't have a better response for you. It would be pretty pathetic for someone to make up a claim like yours so I lean toward giving you the benefit of the doubt. However if this is true it actually reflects worse on Bill as far as I'm concerned because he had to know how much was riding on that pick. Odds are that the pick goes to anyone of 5 other wrs and maybe Brady is still here. Hell, even if he's not, how may games this season would have ended differently with Metcalf or Samuel on the field for Mac? Its really hard to believe Bill let's someone else make that pick when he's got to know he's going to answer for it.

Dugger graded out as PFF's 33rd (of 94) ranked S for 2021. He graded better than Tyrann Mathieu but a little worse than Jeremy Chinn.
Dugger graded out as their 5th best S (of 14) for 2021 from the 2020 draft class.
Adrian Phillips graded out as PFF's 8th best S for 2021, a little better than SD's Derwin James and the Bills Jordan Poyer.
So, was Dugger Bill's pick, or did he let one of his kids make the pick?

You can disagree all you like, just because he flashes from time to time doesn't make him a stud. Constant play over seasons with game changing impact make a player a stud, and Dugger simply has not done that. As for drafting at the bottom of the draft, we've been doing that for 20 years, so it's no excuse.
he said solid starter not stud.

I suppose that response is better than I expected. People here know me pretty well.
You will believe what you want. I can't say more.
Looks like we have another one.

I was going to reply but, what's the use. I guess you have to have 11 "studs" and difference makers on each side of the ball.
Ok, I stand corrected, we got one solid starter in three drafts. Yeaaaa!!!!!

I was going to reply but, what's the use. I guess you have to have 11 "studs" and difference makers on each side of the ball.
Way to miss entirety what was being discussed. Let me ask you simple question, why are we in desperate need of LBS and Wrs this off season,

Wait a second, it wasn't "Casererio's" cluster fuck with Harry, multiple sources have stated that none of the scouts wanted Harry with that pick. No matter what you believe, Bill has last say. If you want give Bill the credit for what appears to be nailing this past draft, then you're going to have to also blame him for the previous three drafts. The entire reason we had to spend 160 million is because Bill's complete and utter failure in those drafts. Let's not forget, what we are looking for now is what he failed to get in those drafts.
There's some truth to this...

There's some truth to this...
It's just amazing to me that it's even debatable. He missed on the two tight ends, three if you count the massive contract we gave to smith, then he missed on both LBs and a 1at round Wrs in the deepest we class in the last ten years. Now it looks like last years class is a success but let's be honest, our weaknesses as a team are his failures over the last several drafts.

You can disagree all you like, just because he flashes from time to time doesn't make him a stud. Constant play over seasons with game changing impact make a player a stud, and Dugger simply has not done that. As for drafting at the bottom of the draft, we've been doing that for 20 years, so it's no excuse.

No one used the word "stud" to describe Dugger other than yourself. ParanoidPatriot said "Dugger looks like he is going to be a stud", which isn't the same as saying he's a stud right now. I completely agree with that sentiment. I don't think Dugger is a full-blown stud at this point in time, but I think he's well on his way.

Yes, consistent play over longer stretches of time is what makes a player uniquely good; Dugger hasn't had ample time to demonstrate that consistent play because he's only been in the NFL for two seasons. In his second season, he racked up 92 tackles (70 solo) and 4 INTs for 100 yards. Those statistics (especially the INTs) indicate game-changing impact IMO.

Drafting later relative to other teams is an inherent disadvantage. The Patriots have been able to maintain their success in spite of that. I don't think anyone is in the business of making excuses, but it's certainly a good explanation for why NE has had more difficulty landing sure-things in the draft compared to other teams who are consistently drafting earlier and getting to select from a larger, more talented pool of players.

Last edited:
It's just amazing to me that it's even debatable. He missed on the two tight ends, three if you count the massive contract we gave to smith, then he missed on both LBs and a 1at round Wrs in the deepest we class in the last ten years. Now it looks like last years class is a success but let's be honest, our weaknesses as a team are his failures over the last several drafts.
I'm going to give Smith another year. He has way too much potential...I don't think he was ready for the Pats playbook...and the Pats never really used him right.

But, I do agree about the past few drafts were bad...before this last one. Wynn and Michel and Harry instead of Chubb and a few of the other WR's would have been amazing!

Back