Patriots Offseason 2022

Don't shortchange the lack of development of receivers. Harry is obvious but I expected a lot more from Meyers & TE Jonnu this past season, too.
haha well honestly that horse has been beaten to death.

Other than Jules, New England has been a complete wasteland for WR draft picks and even a bunch of signings have been awful.

Since we're talking about Wino and his Ilk, if you compare him to Ninkovich, Nink is a bigger, more powerful player.
Come draft time I like to use a power rating based on the players weight and vertical jump. Nink is 20 lbs heavier and can jump significantly higher than Wino, and can hold the edge. So why draft a lighter faster guy for that position?

I think this goes back to the bare cubbords that are this coaching staff. Outside of bill and josh just exactly who is a good coach?
Special teams were a shambles. The OL despite having a ton of talent underperformed. The wr like you said. 2ndary was ok ish till injuries, the front 7 who knows the players are old slow or suck.

There is a lot to be answered for this offseason if the pats expect to step forward from meh to contender.
The main frustration is that the shitty parts of the team are always the same. When was the last time we had an amazing front 7 that could pressure QBs and stop the run consistently? When was the last time we had multiple dangerous receivers to threaten defenses? OL has been a roller coaster of quality for a few years now.

Secondary is probably the unit that's been the most reliable (when healthy) over the past few years. QB, RB, TE should be solid given the players on the roster at least.

Some guys just don't do well in our system and Jonnu was a big disappointment for me this year.

He didn't look like the same guy I saw making big plays for Tennessee and never looked comfortable in
our offense which was evident multiple times with pre-snap penalties, missed blocks and incorrect adjustments
to his routes. His hands weren't the greatest, either. Let's hope he gets it in year two.

Some guys just don't do well in our system and Jonnu was a big disappointment for me this year.

He didn't look like the same guy I saw making big plays for Tennessee and never looked comfortable in
our offense which was evident multiple times with pre-snap penalties, missed blocks and incorrect adjustments
to his routes. His hands weren't the greatest, either. Let's hope he gets it in year two.

It almost seemed to me like they gave up on him running routes after the debacle of a game against the Saints. He never seemed to fully recover after that. While he did make some good YAC in check downs, he was wildly underutilized other than that.

I
It feels like the Pats have really struggled to develop draft picks into strong contributors recently. Either they become part-time contributors behind old ass FAs or get cut.

Maybe more on D than O recently.
I dunno. 2021 draft was pretty good.

Interesting thought....
H back, like the 80s.

Jakob Johnson is improving but hes still worthless outside of being an additional offensive lineman. Why not?

I'm hoping Smith uses the offseason to really get into the offense. I think injuries limited him some, but still, he needs to give you something each week. And he didnt do that.

This is going to sound like sarcasm, but while we are talking about acquiring talent we need to acquire a coach that can teach tackling. Too many times players ran through and around arm tackles often with more than one Patriot there and still no stop or 5 yards more after contact. Ridiculous.

This is going to sound like sarcasm, but while we are talking about acquiring talent we need to acquire a coach that can teach tackling. Too many times players ran through and around arm tackles often with more than one Patriot there and still no stop or 5 yards more after contact. Ridiculous.
Nobody can tackle anymore.

Thank the 2011 CBA. The Patriots are no worse than any other team.

The elephant in the room is JC Jackson. I don't see how this team is competitive without keeping him at least on the tag. That being said, it is possible that Bill treats this off season as the true rebuild and cuts bait with Jackson and also the aging vets and rebuilds through the draft this year and next year. That's probably the best plan even though I want Jackson to be on this team no matter what. The last two drafts have been really good.

The offense will be fine. Mac was nails the other night. That was the best I've seen him in terms of footwork, posture, mechanics, pocket movement, and consistent attention to detail in general. He wasn't letting himself throw off his back foot, falling away, and some of the other sloppy habits he had shown at times. I was lowkey thrilled at the performance he put in.

Adding a modern, athletic ILB (or two) who can play in space gets the defense about 75% of the way there. They still need another CB and DL, but a competent ILB gets them a lot of the way there. If Nakobe Dean gets anywhere near them, they should jump all over him; if Jordan Davis or another high quality DL/LB fall along with Nakobe, pull a Jones-Hightower part 2 and grab them both. In terms of solutions on the roster, we can cross our fingers for McGrone and McMillian.

Beyond that I'd like to see a new ST and DL coach. Something that flies under the radar is that DL coach Brendan Daly (who joined the team in 2014) left following the 2018 season to join the Chiefs. Since then I feel like there has been a subtle but consistent drop-off in DL play.

Last edited:

Pick 21
New England Patriots
10-7

Biggest needs: DB, LB, WR (I'll add OT)

CG: The Patriots' defense could be gutted from linebacker to the secondary by free agency. Unless the club manages to retain some key names -- CB J.C. Jackson and LB Ja'Whaun Bentley among them -- their draft needs will be fairly clear.

Pick 21
New England Patriots
10-7

Biggest needs: DB, LB, WR (I'll add OT)

CG: The Patriots' defense could be gutted from linebacker to the secondary by free agency. Unless the club manages to retain some key names -- CB J.C. Jackson and LB Ja'Whaun Bentley among them -- their draft needs will be fairly clear.

Yeah i thin wont free agency is over the draft will ne very clear. Im guessing linebacker in the 1st but who knows what will be available.

Back