Patriots Offseason 2022

chevss454

Data-driven decision-making is science and art.
Reaction score
Last year was about spending money to get better. This year will be about culling poor values and adding players with good value as replacements.

Some things to do ASAP

First order of business is to reach an agreement with Nick Folk. He's been money all year. Actual signing can come a little later after BB creates more cap.

2nd order of business is to address Devin McCourty's contract voiding in March situation. It's too soon now but maybe begin talking to him in a month. If they redo his deal before it voids, even for just 1 year, his 2023 and 2024 signing bonus prorations will remain on those years’ caps. $6.45M total.
Eat it all this year vs sign him to a 1 year deal and spread it over 2023 and 2024.

View: https://twitter.com/patscap/status/1483045151396491271

Next comes Agholor who likely won't be on the team next year. Try like hell to trade him.
Agholor's 2022 cap number= $ 14,882,353; Dead money if cut = $10M and $4m in cap created; Dead money if traded = $5M and $9M in cap created.

I'm certain BB has some additional things on his mind.

Harry sucks. Jonnu sucks but has potential and a big contract. RBs are fantastic. Agholor sucks. Bourne, Henry, Myers are great.

D is full of roleplayers with the right attitude but a serious lack of skill/speed (partly due to age). I love dudes like KVN, HT, Dev, but this should be it for them. Collins too.

I'm more worried about the D than O. With Mac taking a step forward and filling in a few extra additions, the O should be competitive. The D needs an overhaul in terms of talent and speed.

On D, we have Barmore, Guy, Perkins, Carl Davis, Wise, Uche, Duggar, McGrone, Wino, Jackson, Mills, Judon, Phllips, Joejuan Williams, Raekown McMilan as a base we can build on, would people see that as so?

One thing Mike Reiss mentioned that is worth looking at. Why has Wino and Uche been so sparsely used? They're young, full of energy something that was missing in Buffalo.

does anything need to be done with j. smith? what about harry?

Jonnu's cap hit is excessive. Imo, it's up to the coaches to find a role for him. Stuck.
Harry would be easy to cut from a cap perspective. Maybe a trade. The Pats don't need him another year for sure.

I'm more worried about the D than O. With Mac taking a step forward and filling in a few extra additions, the O should be competitive. The D needs an overhaul in terms of talent and speed.
amen. i've thought they needed speed for ages. my guess is bb is trying to balance back 7 athleticism with stoutness so he doesn't have to sub guys that much on the fly(i.e. hurry up offenses) and max versatility overall run vs. pass. it seems to me hurry up isn't as prevalent as far as all game usage as it was a few years ago. maybe it's due to teams being able to leave base units on the field more?
atm, i'm willing to give agholor and smith through at least offseason, tc, and preseason unless something crazy happens. harry can get gone.

Top priority on Offense is SPEED ON THE OUTSIDE . If they want to continue to play that style of Football . A upgrade at FB besides try hard Johnson .

On D, we have Barmore, Guy, Perkins, Carl Davis, Wise, Uche, Duggar, McGrone, Wino, Jackson, Mills, Judon, Phllips, Joejuan Williams, Raekown McMilan as a base we can build on, would people see that as so?

One thing Mike Reiss mentioned that is worth looking at. Why has Wino and Uche been so sparsely used? They're young, full of energy something that was missing in Buffalo.

Great question.

I have to believe that Winovich is not in the plans. He's now a special-teamer who takes the occasional mop-up snap or two and I think
he has enough ability to play a lot for somebody else. My guess is that he fell out of favor with the coaching staff because he
freelances too much, because I always thought he made his share of plays and, as you noted, plays with a ton of energy.

I guess I'd put Uche in the same box, only he's likely still in our plans. Sometimes, it seems that our staff can't live with youthful mistakes and
require a guy to figure it out without getting the playing time necessary to improve. To me, Uche seems to have a ton of ability and I
expected he'd be a bigger part of the picture by now. I don't get it.

I don't know what this says about McGrone, but he might be on the 3-year plan, too and we need to overhaul the position to a large extent.
Let's hope he can give us some help because we're going to need it.

Jamie Collins made a couple of splash plays, but I wasn't impressed with him, either.

On your list of players, I would only list Barmore, Wise, Uche, Dugger, Mills, Philips, Judon in ink due to talent or contract status.
Guy and Davis are ok-ish.
Can Perkins play? Not a good start.
For the rest, I'd like to be optimistic but who knows if they are either healthy enough or wanted by the staff.

As for Wino, Uche I can only surmise that they can't hold the edge. I thought Uche was going to be an NFL star as on off the line LB and still hoping. I wouldn't be surprised if Wino is gone before June.

It feels like the Pats have really struggled to develop draft picks into strong contributors recently. Either they become part-time contributors behind old ass FAs or get cut.

Maybe more on D than O recently.

Top priority on Offense is SPEED ON THE OUTSIDE . If they want to continue to play that style of Football . A upgrade at FB besides try hard Johnson .

You and I see it this way. Too bad BB devalues the X WR so much. He passes on those guys quite often in the draft when they are right there for him to select. Then he signs a smurfy fast FA for too much money. I don't understand it at all, tbh.

You and I see it this way. Too bad BB devalues the X WR so much. He passes on those guys quite often in the draft when they are right there for him to select. Then he signs a smurfy fast FA for too much money. I don't understand it at all, tbh.
There are times when it feels like BB stubbornly believes he can resist the modern game.

Can't argue with his success obviously, but I won't pretend that I don't get jealous watching some of the monster skill position players across the league.

It feels like the Pats have really struggled to develop draft picks into strong contributors recently. Either they become part-time contributors behind old ass FAs or get cut.

Maybe more on D than O recently.

Don't shortchange the lack of development of receivers. Harry is obvious but I expected a lot more from Meyers & TE Jonnu this past season, too.

There are times when it feels like BB stubbornly believes he can resist the modern game.

Can't argue with his success obviously, but I won't pretend that I don't get jealous watching some of the monster skill position players across the league.

That's a cross we all bear.

Back