Patriots select Christain Gonzalez with the #17th pick.

don't know much about college fball and txfers, but do most kids transferring cite "to face better competition" as the reason why they left? it seems to me that a good bit of them transfer because of losing position battles on their team so they want to start somewhere.

I read the bit and I have to be honest, I can see how he would not come off as impressive to the Steelers and that report could be legit.

Gonzalez is not one of those kids that seems like a glass-eater. He isn't real articulate and smooth on camera and comes off, to me, as very young and not really
an NFL-level tough guy. Yet.

I'm not assuming that he can't develop into a very good or even great player, but there is a difference between watching him in coverage in which his physical skill
level is very evident and listening while he's trying to answer a question on camera. I could use words like shy or introverted, but he's 20 years old and I remember what it
felt like to be like that. Like you can't help but listen to yourself and wonder what people are thinking instead of just being in the moment and not worrying about
anything. I took the Dale Carnegie course in public speaking when I was in my 20's and it taught me quite a bit more than I expected. I now notice things in others
who are struggling or uncomfortable, because I've watched others attempt to overcome those kind of issues with proven techniques and experienced it for myself.

I'm guessing that the Christian hasn't been taught any of that stuff yet.

The kid might be a little immature at this point and might not hit the practice field like an instant alpha NFL predator, but he'll grow because he's too talented not to.

I won't be concerned if he gets off to a slow start and am more or less expecting that might be the case. I can only hope that some measure of patience is
shown towards him if I'm correct about that, but won't be holding my breath. Some of the usual suspects in the media and a percentage of fans ("fans") will be
sure to say he's a bust if he doesn't instantly play like a Superstar. Patience is a not just a virtue, it's common sense, first round or not.

He'll be under some pressure, no doubt, but I think the Coaching Staff knows he is far from a finished product at this point. He's a rough gem that needs to be polished
and it's really that simple.

I read the bit and I have to be honest, I can see how he would not come off as impressive to the Steelers and that report could be legit.

Gonzalez is not one of those kids that seems like a glass-eater. He isn't real articulate and smooth on camera and comes off, to me, as very young and not really

I'm not assuming that he can't develop into a very good or even great player, but there is a difference between watching him in coverage in which his physical skill
level is very evident and listening while he's trying to answer a question on camera. I could use words like shy or introverted, but he's 20 years old and I remember what it
felt like to be like that. Like you can't help but listen to yourself and wonder what people are thinking instead of just being in the moment and not worrying about
anything. I took the Dale Carnegie course in public speaking when I was in my 20's and it taught me quite a bit more than I expected. I now notice things in others
who are struggling or uncomfortable, because I've watched others attempt to overcome those kind of issues with proven techniques and experienced it for myself.

The kid might be a little immature at this point and might not hit the practice field like an instant alpha NFL predator, but he'll grow because he's too talented not to.

I won't be concerned if he gets off to a slow start and am more or less expecting that might be the case. I can only hope that some measure of patience is
shown towards him if I'm correct about that, but won't be holding my breath. Some of the usual suspects in the media and a percentage of fans ("fans") will be
sure to say he's a bust if he doesn't instantly play like a Superstar. Patience is a not just a virtue, it's common sense, first round or not.

He'll be under some pressure, no doubt, but I think the Coaching Staff knows he is far from a finished product at this point. He's a rough gem that needs to be polished
As he played for two seasons for a dismal University of Colorado Buffaloes his only good coaching was Demetrice Martin before going to Oregon. His game improved at Oregon. Gonzalez was a four-star recruit when he signed with Colorado out of The Colony High School in Texas, where he starred on offense, defense and special teams. Gonzalez started all six games of the Buffaloes' 2020 season (25 tackles, five pass breakups) and all 12 contests in 2021 (53 tackles, 5.5 for loss, five pass breakups), earning honorable mention All-Pac-12 accolades. Cornerbacks coach Demetrice Martin moved from Colorado to Oregon after the season and Gonzalez followed suit, starring for the Ducks in 2022. He was a first-team All-Pac-12 pick after leading Oregon with four interceptions and seven pass breakups, posting 50 tackles and blocking a kick in 12 starts. Gonzalez opted out of the team's bowl game.

I don't disagree with any of this. But Gilmore.

first off... when I saw this thread bumped to the top I was worried something negative had come up :)

reading this stuff, I try to keep in mind how young he is and that he might not be great at interviews or come off well to some.
I assume Pats did their homework, and was already going to be watching closely to see how he handles camp, etc.
On Draft night I thought he looked awkward and didn't seem to know how to act. trying to be low key/cool and stuff. the kids that handed him his hat at that mirror he didn't shake hands or acknowledge. in his little interview thing he did with (Mellisa Stark? whoever that was) he seemed ok. Shy a bit but happy to be drafted.

Steelers have done well under Tomlin, so he must be making some right decisions, but I don't get his reasoning here:

When visiting the facility, Mike Tomlin inquired about why the breakout junior transferred to Oregon after beginning his career with Colorado. Gonzalez explained that he was simply following his position coach to his new school. Tomlin was hoping to hear him say something along the lines of facing better competition but was left underwhelmed by Gonzalez's answer.

Later that day, Tomlin was then heard telling one of the Steelers stars, Minkah Fitzpatrick, that he didn't think Gonzalez had the "competitive edge" and that they wouldn't be seeing him again.

So Tomlin took a guy off his draft board because his reason for changing schools was to follow his position coach? And it should have been to face better competition?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Gonzalez transfer within the PAC-12? If so, the only change is that he would compete against Colorado instead of Oregon. And Tomlin wanted him to say the transfer was to face better competition????

This is all very strange.

Spin. It's these 2 reporters attempting to pacify all the Steelers fans who wanted Gonzalez. It's BS. Someone heard Tomlin say something to someone is not credible.

I don't disagree with any of this. But Gilmore.

I almost mentioned Gilmore, but had already rambled on long enough.

He wasn't a big talker. I think maybe I'm annoyed at the expectations some
people have about draft picks and how fast they are supposed to dominate the NFL.

Very seldom does that happen, first rounder or no.

I'll also mention that I thought he seemed sort of awkward before I read the Pitt thing. I'm not concerned, but
you draft a kid like him for what he can become and he has some growing up to do yet.

Steelers have done well under Tomlin, so he must be making some right decisions, but I don't get his reasoning here:

When visiting the facility, Mike Tomlin inquired about why the breakout junior transferred to Oregon after beginning his career with Colorado. Gonzalez explained that he was simply following his position coach to his new school. Tomlin was hoping to hear him say something along the lines of facing better competition but was left underwhelmed by Gonzalez's answer.

Later that day, Tomlin was then heard telling one of the Steelers stars, Minkah Fitzpatrick, that he didn't think Gonzalez had the "competitive edge" and that they wouldn't be seeing him again.

So Tomlin took a guy off his draft board because his reason for changing schools was to follow his position coach? And it should have been to face better competition?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Gonzalez transfer within the PAC-12? If so, the only change is that he would compete against Colorado instead of Oregon. And Tomlin wanted him to say the transfer was to face better competition????

This is all very strange.
This has to be bullshit. Colorado and Oregon play in the same conference so the competition would be about the same, except 1 or 2 out of conference games.
Maybe Oregon had a tougher non-conference schedule. But who the hell goes through a transfer for 1 or 2 games which may or may not be tougher?

This has to be bullshit. Colorado and Oregon play in the same conference so the competition would be about the same, except 1 or 2 out of conference games.
Maybe Oregon had a tougher non-conference schedule. But who the hell goes through a transfer for 1 or 2 games which may or may not be tougher?

If teams are going to cross names off the list based on who doesn't transfer then they are going to have to rethink that policy right soon
or fall behind. The transfer portal rules are making College Football players more like NFL free agents all the time and, in this particular
instance, I'm glad that Bill wasn't the one using the eraser and Tomlin was.

The landscape in the feeder leagues is different and personnel people are going to have to adapt or die. EVERYBODY is transferring to benefit
their careers and promises are flying around like mosquitos in a July swamp. IF the reason why Pittsburgh really didn't want Chritian is that Tomlin
didn't like his response about following his position coach, then fuck him. He's the same guy that stuck his head in the sand when Antonio Brown
was screwing up his locker room so he could get another ring for Big Ben before it was too late. I can maybe see why they didn't love Gonzalez' semi-
goofy personality but transferring should probably now be viewed as a guy trying to get a leg up to earn his NFL payday and not some sort of
self-indulgent "I don't care about my team" loyalty failure. Whether we like that or not, shit has changed.

I think that one interesting thing about this Patriots Draft is that Bill seems to be adapting to the new paradigm and that was something I had some doubts
about due to his apparent penchant for Boy Scouts.

How many of our Draftees moved from one team to another? I haven't crunched the numbers, but off the top of my head-- it's a lot of them, if not
all of them.

Gonzalez is plenty physical. I don’t like idiotic Boston media spreading false rumors already that the kid isn’t physical, and then maybe he go gets injured trying to prove people wrong. He is already a willing and effective tackler at the CB position.

Last edited:
Gonzalez is plenty physical. I don’t like idiotic Boston media spreading false rumors already that the kid isn’t physical, and then maybe he go gets injured trying to prove people wrong. He is already a willing and effective tackler at the CB position.

I think he might be getting zinged a bit because he is such a smooth athlete that he sort of appears to be in cruise control and that leads to false assumptions that he isn't hustling or whatever.

I can remember that when the Pats drafted Mike Haynes back in the day I was really curious to see if he was the superb athlete that he was rumored to be. We didn't have anywhere
nearly the data we now have on prospects back then, but he was a two-time all-America and had a great college career. Still, Arizona was a long ways away.

Anyhow, when we got into camp the first thing I heard about him after his very first practice was from Chuck Fairbanks. He said something like "I liked the ease of motion he showed out there" and I knew that was his version of getting totally giddy and I couldn't wait to see him. Haynes is still the best Corner this team has ever had and one of the League's all-time best. He dominated from
day one and never played like a rookie.

I also recall that Haynes wasn't supposed to be tough or a great tackler, but he quickly proved those tags wrong.

I hadn't really thought of that parallel before now, but just watching Gonzalez in coverage does remind me strongly of the way Haynes looked. Ease of motion and blazing
closing speed. Almost identical height and body type.

I've been trying to lowball my expectations figuring Gonzalez might need some time to mature (Haynes was 23 as a rookie). I'm not saying he'll end up the DROY with 8 picks, but I'm not going to completely rule it out either.

I've been trying to lowball my expectations figuring Gonzalez might need some time to mature (Haynes was 23 as a rookie). I'm not saying he'll end up the DROY with 8 picks, but I'm not going to completely rule it out either.

I think you might be losing your grip on these expectations. And by that I mean BOTH of us. 🙏 :clap: :)

Last edited:
I think he might be getting zinged a bit because he is such a smooth athlete that he sort of appears to be in cruise control and that leads to false assumptions that he isn't hustling or whatever.

I can remember that when the Pats drafted Mike Haynes back in the day I was really curious to see if he was the superb athlete that he was rumored to be. We didn't have anywhere
nearly the data we now have on prospects back then, but he was a two-time all-America and had a great college career. Still, Arizona was a long ways away.

Anyhow, when we got into camp the first thing I heard about him after his very first practice was from Chuck Fairbanks. He said something like "I liked the ease of motion he showed out there" and I knew that was his version of getting totally giddy and I couldn't wait to see him. Haynes is still the best Corner this team has ever had and one of the League's all-time best. He dominated from
day one and never played like a rookie.

I also recall that Haynes wasn't supposed to be tough or a great tackler, but he quickly proved those tags wrong.

I hadn't really thought of that parallel before now, but just watching Gonzalez in coverage does remind me strongly of the way Haynes looked. Ease of motion and blazing
closing speed. Almost identical height and body type.

It's music to my ears to hear a guy is so athletic it 'looks easy' or 'looks so smooth'.

Per the last sentence, I do think it's in play that Christian Gonzalez has a McCourty-like rookie season (immediate impact, best case scenario could make a pro bowl as rookie).

Back