Patriots vs Packers, Week 9 2018

Nfl.com making sure to make a point of Brady having a better team around him than Rodgers after the golden boy lost.

After the Detroit game everyone was crowing about how the Patriot's time was over (AGAIN!) and how this iteration of the Pats sucked and how they weren't a good team, etc. etc.

Funny how that narrative has now changed to how Brady has a team that is soooo much better than the one that Rodgers has.

I will never understand the fascination the media has with trying to downplay Brady's achievements, the ones that talk Brady up are all ex-players.

I don't know if anyone else noticed this but they had an annoying little graphic on the lower right corner of the screen. It seemed like it would change from green to yellow at the end of almost every play. There were two times that Rodgers threw an incomplete pass and I saw that thing change colors out of the corner of my eye and immediately assumed that we just got hit with a PI penalty.

I don't know if anyone else noticed this but they had an annoying little graphic on the lower right corner of the screen. It seemed like it would change from green to yellow at the end of almost every play. There were two times that Rodgers threw an incomplete pass and I saw that thing change colors out of the corner of my eye and immediately assumed that we just got hit with a PI penalty.

yep I did also, every time I saw it I thought a penalty was coming :)

After the Detroit game everyone was crowing about how the Patriot's time was over (AGAIN!) and how this iteration of the Pats sucked and how they weren't a good team, etc. etc.

Funny how that narrative has now changed to how Brady has a team that is soooo much better than the one that Rodgers has.

I will never understand the fascination the media has with trying to downplay Brady's achievements, the ones that talk Brady up are all ex-players.

simple- the media likes their great QBs to be golden boys...superstars at the college level, first round draft picks, flashy...etc...

Brady is none of these. What he is is a winner and always has been at every level. The media is sound bites and highlights, fantasy football bullshit. Winning is secondary.

Finally a 4th qtr comparison graphic

DrQzRbZXQAAm3j6.jpg

The Pats' defense pressured Aaron Rodgers on 46.8 percent of his drop-backs, a season-high for the Pats. Rodgers on those 22 drop-backs under pressure: 6-18, 4.6 YPA, 1 TD, seven throw aways, 67.6 rating per PFF.

==============================

The Patriots defense finally had its coming out party in Sunday night’s 31-17 victory over Aaron Rodgers and the Packers.
Actually, let’s be a little more specific.
Brian Flores, the de facto defensive coordinator, had his coming out party as chief of the Patriots’ defense, thanks to his players’ largely flawless execution against the most dangerous quarterback in the league.
“To be honest, Coach Flo, he gets us prepared for the game,” Elandon Roberts told BostonSportsJournal.com. “Everybody’s got a job to do. His job is to get us prepared for the game. What you see out there, what you see out of us, it’s the spitting image of him. He’s going to put us the in the best position and we’re going to try to perform at the best of our ability because we know he knows what he’s doing. He did a great job this week, as always.”
Make no mistake, what the Patriots did against the Packers was almost a complete departure as far as
coverage from what they’ve shown to this point in the season — at least it appeared to be, which was the goal via disguise.
In the aftermath of the Chiefs game, we wrote why the Patriots would be hard-pressed to have that type of suffocating, three-and-out defense most fans crave — especially against athletic quarterbacks. You can read the explanation, but most of it has to do with Bill Belichick‘s desire to leave one or two safeties deep to prevent the big plays.
Well, they almost completely junked that against Rodgers. The safeties were much more involved in the every-down defense. Even it was just a disguise, that made a big difference.

The results spoke for themselves. Rodgers was held to a completion percentage of 55.8, 6.02 yards per attempt and a passer rating of 89.2. That’s a pretty good day at the office.
Obviously, Belichick has a great deal of influence on the gameplan. But the players were universal in their praise of the role that Flores played in the preparation this week.
“He has a big influence every week,” said Dont’a Hightower. “He comes up with the gameplan, obviously Bill has a lot to do with that, but this week (Flores) handled a lot of things trying to give Aaron a few different looks that he hasn’t seen yet and he really harped on that all week. We worked on that all week and I think it partially gave Aaron (some trouble) but he might have caught on eventually — he’s a good quarterback. I think it gave him a few different looks he hasn’t seen before.”
Said Kyle Van Noy of Flores: “Great coach, put a good gameplan together and we executed it. Kudos to him and Bill for getting us in the right spot and playing fast. .. Anytime you have a guy like Flo, he’s aggressive and that’s how he is as a person. It’s cool to see him have success because he deserves it. He works hard, has a great family, and I’m happy for him.”
Let’s be honest — and the Patriots players certainly were — Rodgers had his fair share of plays against the Patriots as well. New England tried to bait Rodgers into an interception — similar to the one McCourty had for a touchdown in the previous game against Buffalo — on the play where Jimmy Graham scored to tie the game 17-17 early in the third quarter. Duron Harmon was going to jump pass, but Rodgers sniffed it out, waited a beat, and then burned Harmon and Patrick Chung for a touchdown.
The Patriots signaled that, if needed, they can scheme and disguise against the best the NFL has to offer.
That, is definitely a great sign.

https://www.bostonsportsjournal.com...-party-patriots-defense-matched-rodgers-wits/

I thought the same thing, that graphic is terrible.

Am I the only one who thinks Elandon Roberts has actually been NFL caliber this year?

He wasn't bad last night. That's probably the nicest thing I've ever said about him.

Am I the only one who thinks Elandon Roberts has actually been NFL caliber this year?

We didn't hear his name last night, good or bad, so I guess that's an improvement. I did notice he shot the gap once and totally whiffed on Aaron Jones in the backfield who went on to get the 1st down. Collinsworth mentioned the whiff but didn't know who the player was.

simple- the media likes their great QBs to be golden boys...superstars at the college level, first round draft picks, flashy...etc...

Brady is none of these. What he is is a winner and always has been at every level. The media is sound bites and highlights, fantasy football bullshit. Winning is secondary.

I was bored at work today and was reading twitter, looking for break downs of the game from last night, and someone had retweeted this wonderful tweet from Colin Cowherd about what is wrong with most people and Fantasy Football.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">“But, but Rodgers is outplaying Brady”. Uh, who cares? I don’t play fantasy football. Never have. I’m old school, I care who actually wins the game.</p>— Colin Cowherd (@ColinCowherd) <a href="https://twitter.com/ColinCowherd/status/1059296842171576320?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">November 5, 2018</a></blockquote>
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

We need more in the media to call out all the idiots out there who are more concerned with how their fantasy football team and individual players perform than how their actual team performs

We didn't hear his name last night, good or bad, so I guess that's an improvement. I did notice he shot the gap once and totally whiffed on Aaron Jones in the backfield who went on to get the 1st down. Collinsworth mentioned the whiff but didn't know who the player was.

That was him but "whiff" is not accurate, IMO. The tackle was missed, but the path through traffic made it a tough angle, especially given the direction Jones was going. And the fact that Jones is terrific to begin with.

PASS PROTECTION
allowedpressure2-500x151.png

The story of the game on offense wasn’t Josh Gordon or Cordarrelle Patterson, but rather the performance of the Patriots offensive line in pass protection.
As a team, the Patriots only allowed five total pressures, and Brady was pressured on a season-low 13.5 percent of his drop-backs.
Entering Sunday, the Packers’ pass rush ranked third in the NFL in pressure percentage (37 percent).
There were a few blitz pickups that went awry, and backup guard Ted Karras, who was filling in for the injured Shaq Mason, allowed a sack to Green Bay defensive tackle Mike Daniels in the first quarter.
But the unit was terrific on the whole, giving Brady, who helped things along with a quick release, plenty of time to operate in the pocket.
Of note, two Patriots lineman had clean sheets on Sunday night, right tackle Marcus Cannon and left guard Joe Thuney.
Cannon returned to pitch a shutout after missing two games with a concussion, and Thuney continues to improve every week.
In his third year in the NFL, you can make a strong argument that Thuney has been the Pats’ best offensive lineman this season, especially in pass protection, a perceived area of weakness for the 25-year-old.

https://www.clnsmedia.com/advanced-stats-report-patriots-beat-packers-front-31-17-win/

Sign Trent Brown now. Please. For the love of god.

Also, really nice job by Karras in relief.

Solidifying the lines by resigning Brown and Flowers would be awesome. Pipe dream probably.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The TD run where Brown steps outside, drew the End inside rush, and then Brown steps back inside and pancakes said End AND the DT was one of the best run blocks I’ve seen in a very long time.

Brown. I love watching that guy play and he's still getting better. I want him to grow into what he could be right here and we can only hope he loves being a Patriot and tells his agent to fuck off, which is a longshot.

Karras screwed up (I believe) on the sack by Daniels, but he is a total rhino in the run game. It looks like he's transformed his body in two years and he's using the extra muscle well. He'll never be a nimble guy like Thuney or Mason, but this guy is showing that he can be depended on to start if we need him.

Back