Pats 2nd Round #50 Pick -- Tyquan Thornton

Go watch film of Thornton. Judge for yourself.

I saw film. I am hopeful. I want him to succeed. But highlight vids can make anyone look good. See Bethel Johnson, Chad Jackson, NKeal Harry, Aaron Dobson. I was actually thinking which prior Patriot he's most like and couldn't think of a successful Patriots drafted WR he's most like (there aren't many successes). Their most successful drafted guys were small like Branch or Edelman, or a UDFA like Meyers.

I saw film. I am hopeful. I want him to succeed. But highlight vids can make anyone look good. See Bethel Johnson, Chad Jackson, NKeal Harry, Aaron Dobson. I was actually thinking which prior Patriot he's most like and couldn't think of a successful Patriots drafted WR he's most like (there aren't many successes). Their most successful drafted guys were small like Branch or Edelman, or a UDFA like Meyers.
in fairness, malcolm mitchell was VERY promising and very productive as a rookie. his injury was a bummer.

So I watched some film. I was impressed with his footwork on sidelines and endlines, less impressed with his work getting off the LOS, but that's teachable and he has long arms, which should help.

I'm intrigued by his work on shorter crossing routes, and what we could do with that. There were a couple drag patterns where he squared in and created separation with his speed horizontally which could just gut a defense, essentially challenging LBs in coverage to tackle him while he's at a full sprint crossing their field.

But that sort of shit only really wrecks see defenses when you have a QB that puts the ball in precisely the right spot. Maybe we should find one of those...

So I watched some film. I was impressed with his footwork on sidelines and endlines, less impressed with his work getting off the LOS, but that's teachable and he has long arms, which should help.

I'm intrigued by his work on shorter crossing routes, and what we could do with that. There were a couple drag patterns where he squared in and created separation with his speed horizontally which could just gut a defense, essentially challenging LBs in coverage to tackle him while he's at a full sprint crossing their field.

But that sort of shit only really wrecks see defenses when you have a QB that puts the ball in precisely the right spot. Maybe we should find one of those...
Bailey Zappe. Done. :coffee:

50. Patriots: Tyquan Thornton, WR, Baylor​

Grade: A-
Major sleeper at WR. Not just 4.28 fast. Runs crisp, well-sold routes. Very natural hands catcher. Snatches the ball away from his frame effortlessly. This is precisely what the Patriots needed offensively. Spindly though. Not costly to move up.

Via PetePricko

I began studying college WRs in 2013 so I can't speak to Bethel or Chad during their college days. However, I did warn everyone here that Dobson and Harry weren't good picks as soon as they were drafted. Both picks were outliers to BB's athletic standards plus Dobson was soft as a grape and Harry was slow, raw & dumb as a post (or a learning disability). Neither could run a well executed route coming out of college. I never did find out who was responsible for the Dobson pick but I know for a fact that Harry was Caserio's "contested catch" binkie. BB took the heat for both picks but Harry was really a case of BB finally taking the training wheels off Caserio.

Highlights made both players look better than they were. Dobson had that fully extended 1 handed grab over a defender for a long TD throw and Harry had the broken play run for a TD. Highlights do lie - they should only be used to create interest for further study or to show the casual observer a player's highest athletic & skill level. They have a purpose but using a highlight video as a Cliff Notes for actual scouting isn't it.

50. Patriots: Tyquan Thornton, WR, Baylor​

Grade: A-
Major sleeper at WR. Not just 4.28 fast. Runs crisp, well-sold routes. Very natural hands catcher. Snatches the ball away from his frame effortlessly. This is precisely what the Patriots needed offensively. Spindly though. Not costly to move up.

Via PetePricko

Hopefully a season or two in strength and conditioning will round out his frame.

in fairness, malcolm mitchell was VERY promising and very productive as a rookie. his injury was a bummer.
Probably one of the biggest what-ifs in the later Super Bowl years, Mitchell had some really clutch catches in SB51

I began studying college WRs in 2013 so I can't speak to Bethel or Chad during their college days. However, I did warn everyone here that Dobson and Harry weren't good picks as soon as they were drafted. Both picks were outliers to BB's athletic standards plus Dobson was soft as a grape and Harry was slow, raw & dumb as a post (or a learning disability). Neither could run a well executed route coming out of college. I never did find out who was responsible for the Dobson pick but I know for a fact that Harry was Caserio's "contested catch" binkie. BB took the heat for both picks but Harry was really a case of BB finally taking the training wheels off Caserio.

Highlights made both players look better than they were. Dobson had that fully extended 1 handed grab over a defender for a long TD throw and Harry had the broken play run for a TD. Highlights do lie - they should only be used to create interest for further study or to show the casual observer a player's highest athletic & skill level. They have a purpose but using a highlight video as a Cliff Notes for actual scouting isn't it.

Thanks. Curious then, are you hopeful about Thornton ?

I'm just not holding my breath that he'll do anything given 4 better WRs ahead of him in terms of getting balls, plus no faith in WRs drafted high by NE.

I'm just not holding my breath that he'll do anything given 4 better WRs ahead of him in terms of getting balls, plus no faith in WRs drafted high by NE.

Absolutely hopeful. He's much more advanced in his release, his route running and his catch technique than Harry or Dobson were. He needs some polish in certain aspects of his game but the kid can play and the fixes are easy.

I wouldn't think of it as 4 WRs ahead of him. The WRs aren't all interchangeable, but have roles based on strengths and traits they bring to the table. Think of it as 1 speed WR (Agholor) ahead of him, and 1 tall WR (Parker) ahead of him. You could actually break it down much more than that.

I wouldn't be surprised if you're right - a lot of rookie WRs don't perform. He's proved nothing, so by your terms there are at least 5-6 "better WRs," though unlike Nixon, Wilkerson, and Montgomery, he has the advantage of being all but guaranteed a roster spot barring injury redshirt.

Cosell's written report on Thornton is unrestrained and shows none of the negative bias of the media pundits. He thinks for himself.
Cosell said in podcast that he loves the pick, btw.
I had no idea Cosell was writing scouting reports until this am but I went on his timeline on twitter this am and found many reports - this one tweeted by @FG_Dolan - that led to this site

FRjWwUaXMAAHhiW

Last edited:

I had to read your last sentence twice to get the sarcasm.

Back