Pats 2nd Round #50 Pick -- Tyquan Thornton

Cosell's written report on Thornton is unrestrained and shows none of the negative bias of the media pundits. He thinks for himself.
Cosell said in podcast that he loves the pick, btw.
I had no idea Cosell was writing scouting reports until this am but I went on his timeline on twitter this am and found many reports - this one tweeted by @FG_Dolan - that led to this site

FRjWwUaXMAAHhiW
LOVE the part about press coverage. know it's hard to find that out with college wrs.

Last edited:
Cosell's written report on Thornton is unrestrained and shows none of the negative bias of the media pundits. He thinks for himself.
Cosell said in podcast that he loves the pick, btw.
I had no idea Cosell was writing scouting reports until this am but I went on his timeline on twitter this am and found many reports - this one tweeted by @FG_Dolan - that led to this site

FRjWwUaXMAAHhiW
Here is the 75yrd TD noted above:

View: https://youtu.be/JhDWnEQYG1g?t=356

Glad Evan went back and looked at Thornton again. Good study (although Evan talks too much). He's far more advanced than the pundits' ranking would make you think.

As you watch this, Evan makes a big deal out his ability to catch the ball consistently with his hands - and he does - but Evan misses the reason he's able to do that.
TT always reaches for the ball with his hands together - for throws facing the QB that are high or out in front he's in a thumb to thumb and forefinger to forefinger position with palms slightly open so balls thrown high are cradled into his hands. It sounds simple but it's something seasoned pros sometimes don't do well. For balls thrown low facing the QB or over the head facing away from the QB, as in a bomb, the position is thumb to thumb and little finger to little finger or outside palm to outside palm/little finger to little finger. Try it. It works. But it's a learned skill and, to me, it's evidence that TT has gotten some real advanced coaching from an experienced receiver coach. I see it in his release and his route running, too.

Cliff notes on catching the ball by Larry Fitzgerald

If you want to learn more...

Last edited:
“I would describe [my style of play] as very versatile, and I’m very coachable,” the 21-year-old said. “Just being here at New England, getting ready to work with the coaches, I would love to adjust my style and critique it any way I could. I’m willing to learn and grow. Definitely. ...

“I try to model my game after Davante Adams. I just love how he creates separation at the top of the route and at the line of scrimmage as well. I try to mimic that a little bit with my releases and my route running, while adding speed to it.”

Thornton was able to showcase his abilities at the East-West Shrine Bowl, where he was one of the standout performers. The Patriots had a close eye on him that day, and eventually made him the first participant of the all-star game to hear his name called in this year’s draft.

What they saw at the Shrine Bowl was a player who was capable of much more than just taking the top off of defenses. Instead, they saw Thornton as a player who could help them in multiple ways.

“This isn’t just a linear guy,” Groh said. “You see him really be able to get off the line. And for as fast as he is ... to be able to see him get in the red zone and do some things, and it’s not just speed, it’s 6-foot-2, ability to get up and really pluck the ball out of the air. So, there’s going to be a lot of different things that he’s going to be able to do to help.”

REASON # 137 why not to listen to what media experts think about Patriots' draft picks:

• Josh Edwards (CBS Sports) 2022 NFL Draft: Most questionable picks by all 32 teams. Patriots: WR Tyquan Thornton. “Will Mac Jones hit him on Go routes? He is unpolished in other phases of the game, so it was a surprising choice.”

When was the last time any Pats fan said, "Speed? Why? The Pats stretch the field as well and any team in the NFL.

Time and again, I see this thread as I scan thru the thread list and my minds goes "Jerry Thornton!".

Cheers

REASON # 137 why not to listen to what media experts think about Patriots' draft picks:

• Josh Edwards (CBS Sports) 2022 NFL Draft: Most questionable picks by all 32 teams. Patriots: WR Tyquan Thornton. “Will Mac Jones hit him on Go routes? He is unpolished in other phases of the game, so it was a surprising choice.”

When was the last time any Pats fan said, "Speed? Why? The Pats stretch the field as well and any team in the NFL.
Anyone who says "all he does is go routes" has watched zero tape on the kid.

Anyone who says "all he does is go routes" has watched zero tape on the kid.
As a fan I hope to God you're right because this kid had no buisness being drafted anywhere before the 4th round. You can say the media and draft experts don't know what they are talking about, but the only way to prove that is if this kid can play, and play right now, not 3 or 4 years from now, now.

As a fan I hope to God you're right because this kid had no buisness being drafted anywhere before the 4th round. You can say the media and draft experts don't know what they are talking about, but the only way to prove that is if this kid can play, and play right now, not 3 or 4 years from now, now.
Talking heads are neither right nor wrong, but if you think that there is a set place, a set order, a set round for players to be taken, you don't understand football. So much depends on what the team's vision is, on the type of player they want, on what they are trying to do, on the schemes they run. I just wander why you are so positive you are so right that there is no chance, not a possibility that you are wrong.

That situation usually means the Dunning-Kruger Effect is at work.

As a fan I hope to God you're right because this kid had no buisness being drafted anywhere before the 4th round.

No? Why not? What issues do you see that will prevent him from being worthy of a 2nd round pick?

Note: "because that's what everybody thought" is not a valid answer. If you've watched him then please enlighten me
as to why you think he wasn't worthy of going at 50. "Not fast enough" is another thing you might want to skip.

Thanks in advance.

No? Why not? What issues do you see that will prevent him from being worthy of a 2nd round pick?

Note: "because that's what everybody thought" is not a valid answer. If you've watched him then please enlighten me
as to why you think he wasn't worthy of going at 50. "Not fast enough" is another thing you might want to skip.

Thanks in advance.
He's going via PFF I bet. He was mocked in the 7th by them. When I saw him and Watson... they were somewhat similar. I bet that they both turn out great!

He's going via PFF I bet. He was mocked in the 7th by them. When I saw him and Watson... they were somewhat similar. I bet that they both turn out great!
Watson... Was he the one in the Senior Bowl that was catching everything and running all over the field?

Back