Pats are perfectly positioned for playoffs

Muse

Paleface
Reaction score
What do you all think?

Pats are perfectly positioned for playoffs

Hector Longo

FOXBORO — This week, ESPN released its regular National Football League power rankings. Your New England Patriots, 5-3 at the midway point of the season, weren't in the top 10.

They are a middle-of-the road No. 12.

Clearly, Matt Cassel may be wowing the local audience, but the career backup doesn't play nationally.

New England backers have to be chuckling right now. Nobody in these parts gives Kerry Collins and the unbeaten Titans the time of day. And the Steelers? Last time we looked on Monday night, it was Byron Leftwich — that is, released by the Jaguars and left on the scrap heap Byron Leftwich — at the controls of the 6-2 AFC North leaders.

Unlike a year ago, when Tom Brady and Randy Moss were pummeling teams on a weekly basis, there is no beast in the AFC. Eight of ESPN's top 10 teams are from the NFC. Even with the Titans, the AFC has the look of the NFC from a year ago.

But just who is ready to make that late December Giants move?

Arguments can be made for as many as 10 teams to succeed New England as conference champion.

"You have to beat the champs if you want to be the champs," said Trent Edwards, who'll quarterback one of those potential suitors, the 5-3 Buffalo Bills, here Sunday in a matchup of AFC East leaders.

At least Edwards takes the Patriots seriously.

Perhaps that has something to do with the nine straight beatings New England has dropped on the Bills, dating back to the Lawyer Milloy-inspired 31-0 massacre to open the 2003 season.

Even without Brady, New England has a championship cast intact, considering the mediocrity of the AFC.

Common sense dictates that Cassel and this offense, which has scored 21 points a game, has to get better.

For a minute, let's pretend Cassel and the ageless Collins is a wash. Doesn't New England match up pretty favorably if 8-0 Tennessee is the measuring stick?

Offensive line ... Patriots.

Offensive weapons ... Patriots.

Defensive front seven ... Draw.

Secondary ... OK, Tennessee.

Coaching ... Pats. He is still Bill Belichick, right?

Of course, the AFC being the AFC, New England is one of many using this same logic.

Buffalo, the AFC East leader since Day 1, would rate a logical choice. The Bills dominated September, going 4-0 to start the year.

"We've lost the last couple of games, maybe not games we normally would have lost and (we) haven't played at the level we are normally capable of playing to," said Edwards. "We're hopefully going to be able to turn that around and that's more of the reason why it's a big game."

Like Cassel with the Patriots, Buffalo's fate hinges on Edwards, who has thrown three of his five interceptions and taken seven of his 18 sacks in the last two weeks, losses to Miami and the Jets.

If the Pats, Steelers, Titans and Bills don't fit your top contenders' list, the Jets and Miami wouldn't mind stepping into the void.

New York can trot out one of two healthy Hall of Fame QBs currently under center in the NFL, Brett Favre. Indianapolis, with the other (Peyton Manning) still nursing a weak pulse at 4-4, would like to believe it can catch fire in the final month and make a run.

Jacksonville, the Hillary Clinton of the AFC, was everybody's choice for a successor when this race began.

David Garrard and the Jaguars, now 3-5, have been outscored on the season, which is never a positive sign. Still, this is a team that was on the brink at playoff time a year ago and packs the running game and the defense to win it all.

Baltimore will again make its bid with an unproven rookie quarterback in Joe Flacco, who rates 25th overall in the league.

And San Diego, operating without its defensive Brady (linebacker Shawne Merriman), remains on life support at 3-5, but with offensive talent that is the envy of the conference.

Since the Bill Parcells regime here, November and December have been the months that mattered.

Despite all the injuries, New England has taken care of business and now sits in a favorable spot as the real games begin.

With Cassel in for Brady, it's all anyone could really ask, even if ESPN doesn't concur.

Yet.

http://www.eagletribune.com/pusports/local_story_311005928.html?keyword=topstory

Ravens and steelers, whoever from the west, titans, that leaves 3 left. Right now 4 teams in the afc east have better records than teams from the south and west, so who is the odd man out?

What do you all think?

I think I've been saying this for weeks. We're preparing for a stretch run and will be a hell of a tough out in the playoffs. We're set up to control our own destiny for that 2 seed, bye and home game. With a little luck, the AFCCG will be right back where it was last year. The only two teams I worry about would be teams we would get at home unless they shape up in a hurry.

I like where we're at, assuming we continue to improve.

I think I've been saying this for weeks. We're preparing for a stretch run and will be a hell of a tough out in the playoffs. We're set up to control our own destiny for that 2 seed, bye and home game. With a little luck, the AFCCG will be right back where it was last year. The only two teams I worry about would be teams we would get at home unless they shape up in a hurry.

I like where we're at, assuming we continue to improve.

I do not see how the pats get a 2 seed. Titans and steelers will have a better record than the pats by the end of the year, and depending on if we win the division, we might not have the best wildcard record if we don't.

I do not see how the pats get a 2 seed. Titans and steelers will have a better record than the pats by the end of the year, and depending on if we win the division, we might not have the best wildcard record if we don't.

Easy. The Steelers have a one game lead on the Pats right now. We play one another, and I think we'll beat them. We'll have the tie-breaker, and the Steelers have a tougher schedule down the stretch. I see the Pats finishing 12-4, 11-5 at worst. That will be good enough for the #2 seed this year.

I'm just glad we can have this conversation. After week 1 I don't think anyone was thinking playoffs, just 'the season is over'.

Easy. The Steelers have a one game lead on the Pats right now. We play one another, and I think we'll beat them. We'll have the tie-breaker, and the Steelers have a tougher schedule down the stretch. I see the Pats finishing 12-4, 11-5 at worst. That will be good enough for the #2 seed this year.

Why do you think the pats can beat the steelers?

I'm just glad we can have this conversation. After week 1 I don't think anyone was thinking playoffs, just 'the season is over'.

Agreed, and I have been contemplating this “do we just hope for a nice spot in the coming draft”? or “do we hope they play and make it deep into the playoffs”? my thought because of watching them since 69 is play for the future “get a better draft pick now” because we are getting old:shrug:

Agreed, and I have been contemplating this “do we just hope for a nice spot in the coming draft”? or “do we hope they play and make it deep into the playoffs”? my thought because of watching them since 69 is play for the future “get a better draft pick now” because we are getting old:shrug:

I hope they make it deep into the playoffs :shrug: Even into the shallow end would be OK by me.

Because we have more talent and are a better football team than the Steelers.

I dont see that. The steelers are a lot better on defense, they can get pressure on the Qb, they have a better running game so far this year, and we have injuries all over the place. When we play the steelers, I see them shutting down the run and putting tons of pressure on cassel who has been sacked a ton this year. While the steelers have been no prize on offense this year, they might hold us down on points better than we can to them.

I hope they make it deep into the playoffs :shrug: Even into the shallow end would be OK by me.

Raven you and I and a few others in here have been kind of saying this for awhile..THIS Sunday is pivotal. (Yes I know Maddenism to the max but so true.:))

Raven you and I and a few others in here have been kind of saying this for awhile..THIS Sunday is pivotal. (Yes I know Maddenism to the max but so true.:))

It is, we have already loss to miami, a loss to the bills would make it tough. The jets have a breeze schedule the rest of the way too.

For sure. Division games are always tough and I don't take anything for granted, especially with a 3 way tie!

I haven't seen any of the Bills' games, so I don't know how they are playing.

For sure. Division games are always tough and I don't take anything for granted, especially with a 3 way tie!

Truth is I don't care which team we are playing I NEVER take it for granted. NOt even when we play the Raiders this year will I do it.

I hope this as well, but just think about how Tommy will feel if this happens, it could hurt his feelings:p:thumb:

I dont see that. The steelers are a lot better on defense, they can get pressure on the Qb, they have a better running game so far this year, and we have injuries all over the place. When we play the steelers, I see them shutting down the run and putting tons of pressure on cassel who has been sacked a ton this year. While the steelers have been no prize on offense this year, they might hold us down on points better than we can to them.

Of course you don't see that. You see doom and gloom. I'm not going back and forth with you again.

Back