Pats at Bills: Official GAme Thread

Something tells me he is focused on the game at hand and your penchant for creating this "obsession" narrative soothes you into a false sense of a "we're the victim" mentality. It's rather unbecoming of a Superbowl Champ. You guys should be happy, having fun and enjoying your title; but no, you are looking in the rear view mirror wondering why teams are trying to get better...and then, when a commentator asks a question about the AFC East, he is supposed to NOT reference the Pats because that shows he is obsessed?? If he didn't talk about the Pats (the top team in the AFC East) you would feel disrespected ("What a bum...we kicked his ass and he's afraid. He won't talk about how good we are...blah blah blah"). Broken record....and not just any old broken record...Taylor Swift.popcorn

Do you still think that, or do you think perhaps maybe we know what we're talking about when it comes to Rex Ryan?

He got distracted, worrying about the Patriots, did nothing to address the penalty problems, nothing to adjust the offense to the Giants (it's the same offense every week), and nothing to change up the defense, which Eli Manning did his Eli Manning thing where he shows up for a quarter, disappears for a half, and returns for a quarter, in this case, the 4th.

Larry Donnell had the same stats as Odell Beckham, and Dwayne Harris is a kick returner.

And before you use "Didn't have #1 WR or #1 RB", the Giants didn't have their #1 WR either, and their #1 RB barely played.

17 penalties (accepted), 3-16 on third down again, and exactly one TD drive (which came at 16-3), in the 4th quarter with a couple of nice YAC plays.

The Giants didn't play particularly well, they aren't particularly healthy, and they're not that particularly good. However, they handled the Bills in Buffalo. They really weren't ever threatened.

Either the Bills aren't good enough to play average to above-average teams, or your head coach wasn't focused on the game plan, so he just said "Hell, let's do the same thing we did last week."

What was it Rex said? "We made too many mistakes, but give me a team with heart"

What is that bullshit? "When we get way behind, at least my players completely lose their poise and their minds and get ridiculous penalties that ensure we'll never actually come back in a game"

He's worried. Worried Rex. He thought he was going to come out and smash the Giants and instead got his ass kicked.

At least, by most metrics. Rex is obsessed with the running game more than he ever has been before. Someone asked him 'were you surprised the Giants has success in the running game early', and Rex gave the dickish answer, "Oh yeah, they gashed us for 3.3/carry."

They ran 28 times with 4 different backs. They must have done ok since they didn't stop doing it. It was reminiscent of his "Run the ball" comment after the Patriots game.

Why? They threw for 500 yards and 4 TDs. Why run? To make your job easier?

It's a good thing there's a little march of crap coming Buffalo's way. Otherwise I'd be worried about the next few weeks. As it stands, @Nashville looks like a lock on paper, but...there's some young talent and a smart coach on that sideline.

In the Colts, Dolphins, 4th Quarter of the NE game and 3rd Quarter yesterday, the Offense lined up with Taylor in the shotgun. They moved the pocket around, had a lot of motion and play action and they moved the ball well. The rest of the time, they had Taylor under center, trying to run this power running game philosophy that the Bills want to have. That's not going to work. That's not what the players on Offense are built for. It seems like Roman finally figured that out yesterday in the 3rd quarter and I hope he stops trying to use this power formation that goes nowhere, ever.

On defense, where are the blitzes? only 10 yesterday. Very few against New England and same results in both games. Frustration, penalties and very little pressure on Brady and Eli. I was pretty upset when Schwartz left the team and I felt it again yesterday. This coaching staff needs to figure out real fast how to use the players' strengths. They're better "bullies" when they do what they're truly built for.

With these penalties, the Bills are forcing the refs to be more biased against them. That's not going to stop until theyh smarten up and start showing some discipline

In the Colts, Dolphins, 4th Quarter of the NE game and 3rd Quarter yesterday, the Offense lined up with Taylor in the shotgun. They moved the pocket around, had a lot of motion and play action and they moved the ball well. The rest of the time, they had Taylor under center, trying to run this power running game philosophy that the Bills want to have. That's not going to work. That's not what the players on Offense are built for. It seems like Roman finally figured that out yesterday in the 3rd quarter and I hope he stops trying to use this power formation that goes nowhere, ever.

On defense, where are the blitzes? only 10 yesterday. Very few against New England and same results in both games. Frustration, penalties and very little pressure on Brady and Eli. I was pretty upset when Schwartz left the team and I felt it again yesterday. This coaching staff needs to figure out real fast how to use the players' strengths. They're better "bullies" when they do what they're truly built for.

With these penalties, the Bills are forcing the refs to be more biased against them. That's not going to stop until theyh smarten up and start showing some discipline

I didn't see the entire game yesterday, but the blitzes seem conspicuously absent. I mean, that's what Rex does. He brings corners, safeties, anybody at anytime and when it's working it's really hard to deal with. He has always coached right on the brink and tried to create chaos and while he has been burned a fair amount from using such risky schemes he's had a lot of success as well. It bears watching to see if he is actually becoming more conservative or is just biding his time.

Case in point to your point about discipline was the late score wiped out when Incognito went low on the chop. It was borderline, but there was no reason for him to do it -- the DE wasn't even a factor. That's the kind of stupid shit that I expect from any team Rex coaches.

17 accepted penalties, which was right around what you had against us. That's some old Raiders shit right there. Historically bad.

Most notable stat to me was not the poor rushing stats but that a team that went 3/16 on 3rd down lost decisively to a team that went 3/15. That was one ugly football game.

Well, Rex quit trying to blitz Brady a couple of years ago, because the Jets were getting smoked by it. I imagine he holds Eli in similar regard. Although, if you're able to formation Rex's defense, it's tougher to disguise. So, if you spread out your formation, either you're going to kill them with a TE on a LB or something, or you're going to have to blitz defensive backs to blitz.

I feel your frustration though. The Patriots have blitzed more this year than they have since Pete Carroll was the coach...and that's like, 7 times a game.

The Roman thing's interesting, because I wonder how much of that offense was Harbaugh, and how much was Roman.

In a game when you're already down Shady McCoy, running power stuff for a while is ok...and if you're successful, you can run playaction off of it - but you can also run playaction from the read option too, and I know Roman's got that in his offense, I've seen it. Although, if your head coach is screaming "Ground and Pound" in your face the whole game, you may not have many other options. Sanchez was never in the shotgun enough either. Neither was Geno Smith, who's a pure read option QB.

Bottom line, to me, was that the team wasn't prepared and ready to go this week, and that's on Rex.

That's a game the Bills should have had.

Say this much for Rex though - guy knows how to keep his job.

Blame the Refs, Blame Injuries, Blame the Patriots. Just don't blame the players or coaches, because THEY'RE TRYING REALLY HARD GUYS!

That's the blueprint he used in New Jersey. Outside of a couple of seasons with Mangini's players, his teams won nothing - and Jets fans bought that crap to the bitter end, almost.

I totally agree that they weren't prepared. It's like they're out thinking themselves. The biggest thing is ground and pound is just not going to work with this team. they'd be better, when Watkins is back going 4 wide, spreading the defense out, with a lot of motion and play action, giving Taylor more time and room to move around. It's obvious that he's way more efficient when he's on the move than when he's lining up under center.

Rex needs to get his head out of his ass and get this figured out quickly. There's too much talent on this team to look as crappy as they did for the 1st half yesterday and other than 1 big run for a TD in the 4th yesterday, the Giants didn't do a damn thing on offense after their second score.

I'd start team-fining players for the stupid penal;ties. That chop block on Incognito was suspect, but they're bringing the heat on themselves form the refs and those are going to keep getting called until the Bills grow the hell up and stop with the nonsense.

Do you still think that, or do you think perhaps maybe we know what we're talking about when it comes to Rex Ryan?

He got distracted, worrying about the Patriots, did nothing to address the penalty problems, nothing to adjust the offense to the Giants (it's the same offense every week), and nothing to change up the defense, which Eli Manning did his Eli Manning thing where he shows up for a quarter, disappears for a half, and returns for a quarter, in this case, the 4th.

Larry Donnell had the same stats as Odell Beckham, and Dwayne Harris is a kick returner.

And before you use "Didn't have #1 WR or #1 RB", the Giants didn't have their #1 WR either, and their #1 RB barely played.

17 penalties (accepted), 3-16 on third down again, and exactly one TD drive (which came at 16-3), in the 4th quarter with a couple of nice YAC plays.

The Giants didn't play particularly well, they aren't particularly healthy, and they're not that particularly good. However, they handled the Bills in Buffalo. They really weren't ever threatened.

Either the Bills aren't good enough to play average to above-average teams, or your head coach wasn't focused on the game plan, so he just said "Hell, let's do the same thing we did last week."

What was it Rex said? "We made too many mistakes, but give me a team with heart"

What is that bullshit? "When we get way behind, at least my players completely lose their poise and their minds and get ridiculous penalties that ensure we'll never actually come back in a game"

He's worried. Worried Rex. He thought he was going to come out and smash the Giants and instead got his ass kicked.

At least, by most metrics. Rex is obsessed with the running game more than he ever has been before. Someone asked him 'were you surprised the Giants has success in the running game early', and Rex gave the dickish answer, "Oh yeah, they gashed us for 3.3/carry."

They ran 28 times with 4 different backs. They must have done ok since they didn't stop doing it. It was reminiscent of his "Run the ball" comment after the Patriots game.

Why? They threw for 500 yards and 4 TDs. Why run? To make your job easier?

It's a good thing there's a little march of crap coming Buffalo's way. Otherwise I'd be worried about the next few weeks. As it stands, @Nashville looks like a lock on paper, but...there's some young talent and a smart coach on that sideline.

Good post and I agree. Rex is still the same old snake oil salesman he was with the Jets. He's great at diverting media and fan attention away from the real problems. Those "Heart" comments were laughable. No poise, stupid penalties, poor situational awareness, poor game plan. Self-inflicted wounds. I have no doubt BB and Coughlin discussed the Bills some last week...but that's just me.

Same old Rex is making the Bills into Jets North and it's not pretty.

• Twice the Bills had long touchdowns called back due to penalty.
  • They were called for 17 penalties total, the third-most in team history.
  • They had more penalties (17) that first downs (14).

On defense, where are the blitzes? only 10 yesterday. Very few against New England and same results in both games.

I know, man. Everyone knows that all you gotta do is blitz TFB and he crumbles. All down the ages, Tommy has been totally overrun by blitzes. It's a shame that Rex isn't at least half as smart setting up a defense as you clearly seem to be. He'ld be 5-0 after 4 games. :banghead:

I totally agree that they weren't prepared. It's like they're out thinking themselves. The biggest thing is ground and pound is just not going to work with this team. they'd be better, when Watkins is back going 4 wide, spreading the defense out, with a lot of motion and play action, giving Taylor more time and room to move around. It's obvious that he's way more efficient when he's on the move than when he's lining up under center.

Rex needs to get his head out of his ass and get this figured out quickly. There's too much talent on this team to look as crappy as they did for the 1st half yesterday and other than 1 big run for a TD in the 4th yesterday, the Giants didn't do a damn thing on offense after their second score.

I'd start team-fining players for the stupid penal;ties. That chop block on Incognito was suspect, but they're bringing the heat on themselves form the refs and those are going to keep getting called until the Bills grow the hell up and stop with the nonsense.

I just read a fascinating post on Two Bills Drive where a poster alleges that there is a conspiracy for the league to call phantom penalties to keep the Bills from winning because it wants the Giants in the Playoffs. (I didnt bother to ask why this influx of personal fouls has followed Rex from the Jets). This is compounded by his allegation that when posters complain about the penalties on his message board, the NFL hires staffers to create fake accounts on his site and rebut the Bills fans who complain about the penalties. He follows this up by saying that he has had enough, and after the next Bills win, he will compose a heartfelt and bittersweet goodbye to the board and the NFL, as he will no longer contribute to the obvious scam to line the pockets of the NFL by having only large market teams win.(I am positive this cat will be missed)

Man, This thing goes deeper then I could have ever imagined. I may have to rethink everything. Has anyone noticed any suspicious posters over here? (HipKat) :coffee:

I just read a fascinating post on Two Bills Drive where a poster alleges that there is a conspiracy for the league to call phantom penalties to keep the Bills from winning because it wants the Giants in the Playoffs. (I didnt bother to ask why this influx of personal fouls has followed Rex from the Jets). This is compounded by his allegation that when posters complain about the penalties on his message board, the NFL hires staffers to create fake accounts on his site and rebut the Bills fans who complain about the penalties. He follows this up by saying that he has had enough, and after the next Bills win, he will compose a heartfelt and bittersweet goodbye to the board and the NFL, as he will no longer contribute to the obvious scam to line the pockets of the NFL by having only large market teams win.(I am positive this cat will be missed)

Man, This thing goes deeper then I could have ever imagined. I may have to rethink everything. Has anyone noticed any suspicious posters over here? (HipKat) :coffee:

Congressional investigation incoming?

popcorn

Good post and I agree. Rex is still the same old snake oil salesman he was with the Jets. He's great at diverting media and fan attention away from the real problems. Those "Heart" comments were laughable. No poise, stupid penalties, poor situational awareness, poor game plan. Self-inflicted wounds. I have no doubt BB and Coughlin discussed the Bills some last week...but that's just me.

Same old Rex is making the Bills into Jets North and it's not pretty.

• Twice the Bills had long touchdowns called back due to penalty.
  • They were called for 17 penalties total, the third-most in team history.
  • They had more penalties (17) that first downs (14).

The biggest thing is ground and pound is just not going to work with this team. they'd be better, when Watkins is back going 4 wide, spreading the defense out, with a lot of motion and play action, giving Taylor more time and room to move around. It's obvious that he's way more efficient when he's on the move than when he's lining up under center.

This is why I legitimately got nervous when they signed Cassel in the offseason. That's like, an 11-5, 12-4 team with that schedule, and actually using your WRs who are really good.

Then I heard that Tyrod Taylor would be the starter, and then they traded Cassel.

McCoy's an awesome feature back, but he's a lot more Jamal Charles than he is Adrian Peterson. You can't plow him between the tackles 20 times a game.

Also, I don't think Rex and Roman are overthinking themselves. They're "doing what they do", and they do the same thing against every team. So when they're up against a team with good scouting and coaching, they're going to struggle.

The plus side is, there aren't a lot of those teams out there.

If they blitzed Brady he would have had 700 passing yards instead of 466...not a smart move.

The Bill's are reportedly hosting Trent Richardson today.

Just let that sink in for a sec........

:facepalm:

Rex doesn't have anyone on his coaching staff able to teach Taylor how to checkdown and throw to his outlet receiver? How about disguising a slant route as a safety valve for the guy?

Taylor continues to struggle . when you get pressure on him. Still have not learned to step away from pressure to make the accurate throws.

Haven't had a chance to post here since the game...all I can say is Ugh!! Thank God we have another 12 games to play. That was a real crapfest. Bad play all around (with the exception of Matt Darby at CB). Baccari Rambo is no Aaron Williams, Robert Woods let two guys strip the ball, Stephon Gilmore with a relaxed coverage on Randle, Urbik with a shit hold, Richie Incognito with a chop block at the hip (but I understand the call nonetheless), TT didn't start throwing beyond the 1st down markers until the second half, weak goal line play selection for zero pts, missed FG, etc. This is not anything new for Buffalo...every season is a series of ups and downs.

Back