Pats FA thread

I guess that pretty much ensures that Jason McCourty is gone. That's too bad. I would have liked to see those too close out their careers together.

Could be a negotiating ploy to get him to take less $$. idk

It wasn't all that long ago the BB brought in a former four-time All Pro DB that was past his prime. That player still had an effective year for us, and helped us win another Super Bowl.

If BB think Sherman can come in and make a contribution similar to what Darrelle Revis did in 2014, then I'm on board, too - I think Belichick knows more about putting together a football team than I do (although perhaps he's not as astute as some people on this board).

He's going to be a bad ass coach after he retires...if he wants to do that. He's smart...but, kinda cooked now though.
Great point, he's very smart and you look at guys like Mayo who has turned into a very good coach and Sherm might like to go down that road. He's a BB type player that's for sure.

It wasn't all that long ago the BB brought in a former four-time All Pro DB that was past his prime. That player still had an effective year for us, and helped us win another Super Bowl.

If BB think Sherman can come in and make a contribution similar to what Darrelle Revis did in 2014, then I'm on board, too - I think Belichick knows more about putting together a football team than I do (although perhaps he's not as astute as some people on this board).
Did it twice. Rodney

I don't mind a low risk swing on You Mad Bro. I don't have high hopes, but I don't mind it.

Maybe a switch to FS would give Sherman another few years.
This is a great point. Sherman has the brains to pick up the defense and to play the free spot. It would cover for his physical decline that would keep him from playing on the corner. He has the size, it may be possible if he has the interest.

% of receptions for TDs is often ignored even though it's an important part of a receiver's resume.
Jonnu Smith and Nelson Agholor were both in the top ten last year for TD/reception

EzGMTPUWEAMhDZ4

DT Sheldon Richardson just got cut. Worth bringing in for a look? He was costing the browns 11 million dollars.

DT Sheldon Richardson just got cut. Worth bringing in for a look? He was costing the browns 11 million dollars.

Interesting that he is being replaced with Clowney at the same price. Richardson had more sacks last year than Clowney has had in the last 2 years.
He could help but If BB has any interest in a trade for JimmyG, there's not enough cap to get JG, give Gilmore the money he'll be expecting & sign Richardson.
Last year Gilmore held out for an extra $5M. He may do that again this year.

Patriots under BB has always been about the team .

Stop us if you've heard this before: Several familiar faces are returning to the New England Patriots this season.

Linebacker Kyle Van Noy, offensive tackle Trent Brown and center Ted Karras all re-signed with the Patriots this offseason after spending time elsewhere.

According to the Boston Herald's Karen Guregian, they're among 24 players who have had at least two separate stints in Foxboro, tying New England with the Pittsburgh Steelers for second-most in that category behind the Seattle Seahawks.
So, why do so many players flock back to the Patriots after playing for other teams?

Former wide receiver Deion Branch, who played for New England from 2002 to 2005 and 2010 to 2012, shared some notable first-person perspective.

“For me personally, being injected into that program, it fits me,” Branch told Guregian. “I’m always about being a team player, and that’s what they focus on. If you’re selfish, that place isn’t for you. If it’s all about the team, then that’s the place for you. If you have any ‘I’ in your heart, that’s not the place for you.

"If you want to be a part of some sort of team camaraderie, where you put everyone else’s feelings and emotions before yourself, you’ll succeed in that building, in that organization … that’s the bigger picture."

While the "Patriot Way" has become a cliché, it appears Bill Belichick's team-first approach resonates with many players and draws them back to New England. It also helps that the Patriots are the most successful team of the last two decades: Branch reached three Super Bowls during his seven total seasons with the Patriots, winning two.

CURRAN: A REJUVENATED BELICHICK SEEMS SET TO MAKE AMENDS IN 2021

It's not all about chasing rings, though: Van Noy, Brown and Karras all returned to a club that went 7-9 in their first season without Tom Brady in the Belichick era. As former defensive lineman Andre Carter explained to Guregian, players also know they can thrive individually with Belichick as their head coach.

"Bill brings back guys he trusts," Carter said. "And maybe certain players weren’t the high caliber athletes they were earlier in their careers, but Bill knows at the end of the day, he can maximize reps with these particular individuals to help win games."

That was certainly the case with Van Noy and Brown, who played the best football of their careers in New England and saw their production dip last season in Miami and Las Vegas, respectively.

Whether they can find as much success in their second stints remains to be seen, but it's a nice benefit for Belichick that he can recruit former players back to Foxboro.

Back