Pats FA thread

I love Cams attitude and locker room presence. I love the way he deals with the press. He’s very respected around the league.
But he’s an average QB who had one outstanding season. Which is fine for a bridge.
My biggest gripe is how do young guys learn with him? He’s a one of a kind and an offense has to be built for him.
What other QB can do what he does? How do you evaluate guys in the red zone?

I'm assuming the coaches can deal with that. I mean Jimmy wasn't exactly a Brady clone -- they differ in playing style, which I imagine will show up in practice and BB will try to hone their abilities. Or maybe they'll try to force Cam into a drop back passer role so the rookie can just be plugged in, although I find it unlikely.

Either way, that's not something I'm worried about. Lamar Jackson had an offense installed to his strengths in a bye week when the Ratbirds decided to move on from Elite Flacco. I have no doubt Pats could do something along those lines if that were to be the case.

Batman Facepalm GIF by WE tv

That's just not true. He was more than simply a running QB. He exploded into this league breaking records left right and centre. In his very first pro game, he was 24–37 passing for 422 yards. That was the first time in league history that a rookie threw for 400+ yards in his very first game. In his 2nd game, he went even higher hitting 432 passing yards and breaking Kurt Warner's record for passing yards in the first two games in a season.

That very first season, he broke Peyton Manning's record of 3,739 yards passing for a rookie. On January 1, 2012 against the Saints, he became the first rookie quarterback to throw for 4,000 yards.

And you then get to his MVP season in 2015.......he was clearly a lot more than just a running QB.
Was.

Just a quick search.

Cam's career averages:

3450~ yards per season
Comp % - 60.1
Pass touchdowns - 19
Interceptions 11.2
Pass yards per game: 226.4
QB rating: 85.8

This is solely passing. This is not mentioning the running nor the running touchdowns, nor the threat of the run at all. This is purely passing. Statistically it's not amazing, but at the same time if you pigeon-hole him as a "running QB", those are pretty damn solid numbers from a running QB.

So you might not change your view once they put on the Pats gear, but if you hate the player you will find any reason to shit on said player despite any evidence that contradicts your view.
was

Belichick has been much more devoted to Cam, and for much longer than most people realize.
There’s never was a QB competition last year, and there’s not gonna be one this year. It’s Cam unless he gets injured.

I don't think Pats are building a team just specifically around Cam. Jonnu Smith/Hunter Henry would be a good TE tandem for any QB under center for the Pats. Same goes for Agholor and Bourne. If the hypothetical rookie QB can't play with those weapons we would have bigger things to worry about.

Belichick has been much more devoted to Cam, and for much longer than most people realize.
There’s never was a QB competition last year, and there’s not gonna be one this year. It’s Cam unless he gets injured.
Switch out devoted with tolerant...and I agree.

I don't think Pats are building a team just specifically around Cam. Jonnu Smith/Hunter Henry would be a good TE tandem for any QB under center for the Pats. Same goes for Agholor and Bourne. If the hypothetical rookie QB can't play with those weapons we would have bigger things to worry about.
I agree. I think the FAs they picked up would also be good for a rookie QB. Having good TEs, RBs and Oline makes everything much simpler for the QB. The only issue is the league has changed so much since Brady was a rookie. The offenses are so high-powered and the rules favor passing to an almost criminal level. That being said, I am fine with it for now. We are not contending for chips until we get the QB and once we get the QB then we can do what Buffalo did for Allen and get a Diggs type receiver if the QB shows he can play like Allen down the road.

Last edited:
Wouldn’t Cam and Teddy run very different O’s? You should have a backup who fits the system for the starter. Not sure they would be a match.

Wouldn’t Cam and Teddy run very different O’s? You should have a backup who fits the system for the starter. Not sure they would be a match.
Yes. Teddy would run ours and Cam would run a small subset of ours.

Back