Pats Nickelback "Problem"

TyLawsPick6

Reaction score
I've been a big Jon Jones fan since 2017 when it became clear he was going to replace Malcolm Butler as our "star" CB in the middle. I have no idea how he wasn't drafted running the fastest 40 time and even at 5'8, I don't care, as his vertical leap was good enough to offset that fact that he is a bit small. All I know is, I am thankful BB had Jones's agent on speed dial once the draft ended because he's been a big part of the 2nd dynasty and any defensive successes this team has had in recent years. It's nice to know you can go into a game and just see the other team's slot WR or fastest WR can be contained or taken out completely because of his elite plat at the position. It's very rare he gave up a big play or a TD, or if he did give up a reception, the player was tackled immediately. The very definition of a top flight nickel.

Anyway, this is a big loss for the team because I had him as the best nickel in the conference the last 5 years, if not the whole league.

This led me to look back at Myles Bryant's scouting report where I expected to read similar to that of Jon Jones because of their size, minus the elite speed. The first 3-4 strengths of his, according to this analysis anyway, reads like a perfect BB nickelback with the quick twitch and fast in line direction with great tackling in space. His 3 cone (6.81) and shuttle drills (4.02) at the Combine were also very good, which are BB staples when looking at these size CBs:

As an aside, Shaun Wade is also a stronger player in the middle of the field compared to a perimeter player, who was possibly meant to be a 1st rd pick in the 2021 draft. He had a down year in 2020 at OSU playing on a bad foot, so it's possible they could have this issue addressed in house. With the signing of an experienced Brian Poole only to the PS, this leads one to believe that may very well be the case.

Just saying. We may be ok here. And the thing is, if we are, and in particular if Shaun Wade can start playing in these games, BB may have done it again and no one will say anything. We would have dealt Michel for Shaun Wade.

I haven't been psyched about Bryant, but he looked decent last week. I was thrilled when they traded for Wade - all upside at practically no cost. He was considered a top 5-10 player if he had come out in the 2020 draft, after being dominant as a slot corner, but he stayed in school and struggled at outside CB, and fell off to round 6.

I love the kid. Elite talent. I think he could fill in for Jones, and while it won't be without stumbles, if he gets his mojo back he could be a huge find. That said, I don't have a good way to gauge whether he'd be able to pick up the system smoothly, so who knows.

On the outside, I'm curious about DeAngelo Ross, and what he might be able to bring to the table. Williams....am about ready to give up on him. He flashes occasionally, but being a DB is about steady, reliable performance. Nice to have him available to match up with big WRs, though.

I haven't been psyched about Bryant, but he looked decent last week. I was thrilled when they traded for Wade - all upside at practically no cost. He was considered a top 5-10 player if he had come out in the 2020 draft, after being dominant as a slot corner, but he stayed in school and struggled at outside CB, and fell off to round 6.

I love the kid. Elite talent. I think he could fill in for Jones, and while it won't be without stumbles, if he gets his mojo back he could be a huge find. That said, I don't have a good way to gauge whether he'd be able to pick up the system smoothly, so who knows.

On the outside, I'm curious about DeAngelo Ross, and what he might be able to bring to the table. Williams....am about ready to give up on him. He flashes occasionally, but being a DB is about steady, reliable performance. Nice to have him available to match up with big WRs, though.
I haven't seen enough from Bryant, to be honest. He went past JoeJuan Williams last year getting some looks at Safety, too, and I thought he looked fine. He's also a big character guy, apparently. Screams BB prospect is all I am saying. How he plays, we're about to find out.

I agree about Jones. It is a massive loss for this season.

If I get time to look at some game film, it will be interesting to revisit this after today, with Bryant and Williams both presumably getting plenty of snaps...

If I get time to look at some game film, it will be interesting to revisit this after today, with Bryant and Williams both presumably getting plenty of snaps...
It think Bryant can play and will be fine. It's his niche. Joe Juan Williams looked fine to me on Mike Williams with help just as it would be needed. Outside of the first drive, Allen and Williams didn't do a ton and make a big difference in the game. It's a success in my book.

That tells me these DBs stayed in their lane and when in man, did a good job. Herbert is really good, but the D did well. Mills seemingly jumped late on the last TD, but was in textbook position. Should have had it.

Three cheers to Myles Bryant yesterday after a very good game. I look forward to seeing his progress. Also, Joe Juan Williams had a nice game with McCourty over the top (at times).

Very curious to see if Shaun Wade can get into a game here.

Three cheers to Myles Bryant yet again who looks as comfortable out there as I could have hoped for. Always in position whether in man or zone, quick to the ball and a very good tackler.

Me likey.

Three cheers to Myles Bryant yet again as I am not sure Landry did much today. Not sure how many snaps he got, but he was out there and appeared to take out whoever he had covered.

Noticed BB had him at Safety again as well towards the end.

Well, there was Collective Soul. Silverchair.
Hanson. And so many bands from the 70s that thought they could be Led Zeppelin.
Here's a start:

3 Cheers to Myles Bryant. Kid is a player. Always around the ball and a good tackler.

Back