Perseverence Mars rover scheduled to land today. Live coverage has begun I think. Landing Successful!

Perseverance successfully landed on Mars at 20:56 UTC (15:56 ET)

Watched the decent phase on YT, I was nervous watching, I can only begin to imagine how nervous the staff at JPL must have been given the amount of time they have poured into the project.

Today is a good day for Humankind.

I hope this does not trigger the Martians to do what they did in War of the Worlds.
They're already here: have you seen some of the WTF? Draft picks in the NFL over the years, or attempted trick plays?

No human would be stupid enough to try those. Mitch Trubisky and Daniel Jones were both known head-scratchers at the time.

They're already here: have you seen some of the WTF? Draft picks in the NFL over the years, or attempted trick plays?

No human would be stupid enough to try those. Mitch Trubisky and Daniel Jones were both known head-scratchers at the time.
So you think they were in BB head when he took Chad Jackson?

This all so incredible. I pray that all goes well so that we as spectators get to watch the stunning imaging to come and so that Man's knowledge cam be increased by unimaginable amounts.

PS Watched "Apollo Thirteen" last night. A terrific reminder oof the genius that brought them home. I can hardley believe that that was fifty years ago, come April.

This all so incredible. I pray that all goes well so that we as spectators get to watch the stunning imaging to come and so that Man's knowledge cam be increased by unimaginable amounts.

PS Watched "Apollo Thirteen" last night. A terrific reminder oof the genius that brought them home. I can hardley believe that that was fifty years ago, come April.
So true. Also, the crew not completely losing the plot is really impressive. It's no coincidence that so many astronauts, regardless of nationality, are ex-military.

See Chris Hadfield (Canada), Tim Peake (UK) and loads of Russian guys as non-US examples (as well as the hundreds of US astronauts).

At its best, the military really does well at teaching people to deal with adversity. I deal with serving personnel and veterans for a living and am impressed by their ability to get stuff done without fuss. It's not something I possess, tbh.

So you think they were in BB head when he took Chad Jackson?
Jermaine Cunningham and Tavon Wilson were also considered odd picks at the time, I think.

Of course, there were others like Richard Seymour and Sebastian Vollmer who turned out OK.

I've spent some time watching the excellent scrolling video of the local terrain and it really is strange to
consider that what I'm looking at is, in fact, Mars. Somehow it doesn't seem all that alien.

When I was a kid and the space program was just getting started, I never would have believed
that I'd ever see Mars in such clarity and detail and I look forward to seeing much more.

I think they will not only prove that life once existed on Mars, but that it still does.

Nice article on the parachute and the messages encoded in its pattern.

The message on the inner three rings: “DARE MIGHTY THINGS.”

It was taken from a line in a speech given by Teddy Roosevelt:

“Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat.”

Last edited:
Somehow it doesn't seem all that alien.
It's not. They filmed all of that in Devon Island, Canada. :coffee:

I hate to be the Santa Claus disrupter (actually, I don't), but...hey, if all of you here want to believe the myth, go for it. Life is f/cked up enough as it is.

Go for it...

I really want to talk to my cousin who retired from NASA. He and his wife (R.I.P.) both worked for them in Edwards Air Force Base in Cali.

Last edited:
Back