Pick #187 Kayshon Boutte WR LSU

Team has 4 good receivers and 2 good tight ends. Pats are set on offense once the OLine is fixed. Onwenu to RT and a rookie at guard.

This is so well done I had to share it.

Excellent for what it was but I wish it had gone into his troubles with HC Brian Kelly. I read about it as it happened a year ago.
He was rehabbing his 2nd ankle sx, following Dr.'s instructions but Kelly wanted him on the practice field. The Dr.s advised against it.
Major disagreement and they didn't get along all year.
Kelly limited him to the Slot position instead of his normal featured position and his production went way down.
I do worry about his mental status and love of the game. Make sure he's back and fully committed and he's the best WR in this draft
and only a shade behind Ja'Marr Chase.

Low risk, very high reward.

Last edited:
Excellent for what it was but I wish it had gone into his troubles with HC Brian Kelly. I read about as it happened a year ago.
He was rehabbing his 2nd ankle sx, following Dr.'s instructions but Kelly wanted him on the practice field. The Dr.s advised against it.
Major disagreement and they didn't get along all year.
Kelly limited him to the Slot position instead of his normal featured position and his production went way down.
I do worry about his mental status and love of the game. Make sure he's back and fully committed and he's the best WR in this draft
and only a shade behind Ja'Marr Chase.

Low risk, very high reward.
For Brian Kelly to go against a doctors orders is just irresponsible and totally selfish. Which tells me he has no interest in caring for his players, and only cares about wins.

For Brian Kelly to go against a doctors orders is just irresponsible and totally selfish. Which tells me he has no interest in caring for his players, and only cares about wins.
You are correct. He was involved in that student death incident. I can see that affecting his performace. Being demoted to the Slot. What caused him to have a very poor Combine.

You are correct. He was involved in that student death incident. I can see that affecting his performace. Being demoted to the Slot. What caused him to have a very poor Combine.
Wouldn't be the first to have a poor combine and play really well, just like many that have had great combin performances and couldn't play at the the NFL level. For where the Pats got him there's no risk.

I watch LSU a lot and this wasn't one of their better years, but Boutte kept making me notice him even in
what was a down year.

He's not to be confused with some of their studs of recent years, but he's not a slappie either. Just because he
didn't get along with Chip doesn't make him a bad guy.

I watch LSU a lot and this wasn't one of their better years, but Boutte kept making me notice him even in
what was a down year.

He's not to be confused with some of their studs of recent years, but he's not a slappie either. Just because he
didn't get along with Chip doesn't make him a bad guy.
Hawg wrong Kelly . EX ND coach Brian Kelly is the HC. If we get the Bouttee that produced his first 2 seasons . Then BB found another Late round Gem. If not he won't make it out of TC.

Last edited:
In 27 games Boutee (BOO tay) had 131 receptions for 1800 yds, 16 TDs and 13.6 yd/rec while dealing with an ankle.
In 24 games Ja'marr Chase had 107 receptions for 2100 yds, 21 TDs and 19.6 yds/rec with Joe Burrow at QB

His Freshman & Soph seasons are the real Boutee.
In his first 16 games Boutee had 83 receptions for 1244 yds, 14 TDs and 17 yd/rec avg prior to breaking his ankle. His QBs were Myles Brennan and Jayden Daniels. Who? Exactly.

From my notes on Boutee:

My comp for Boutte is Jarvis Landry although Boutee has better acceleration and short-area quickness than Jarvis Landry.
That shows up on the field with his release, routes, and ball-carrying. His release game has a wide repertoire of moves and
he can use them with patience, suddenness, or violence, depending on the defender. Karate hands with wipe and swim moves.
He lacks the top-end long speed to stack defenders late in a route but he can stack when he earns separation within the
first 10-15 yards. With his terrific release tech, that happens commonly.
Boutte is adept at using his eyes to set up breaks as he’s using his stems to manipulate his opponents with head an shoulder
fakes. His breaks are tight, sharp, have snap, and he works quickly back to the ball.
Like Zay Flowers, Boutte processes the field fast enough to anticipate the angles of oncoming pursuit just as he’s making
the catch. As a result, he’ll make an immediate move away from the defender a beat earlier than many receivers who would
otherwise take contact or get tackled.
Also like Flowers, Boutte almost always makes the first man miss in the open field. This is a combination of his footwork, vision,
processing speed, and selection of moves that show excellent balance and body control.
Like Landry, Boutte is a tough football player who can take contact and maintain possession of the ball. He’s not
going to bounce off a lot of hits in the open field, but he’ll slip reaches and pull through some wraps.
Boutte should contribute immediately, if not start, with time spent as a flanker and/or slot receiver. If he doesn’t have a
long career it won’t have to do with his skills. I anticipate a long career unless the ankle injury that required two surgeries is
a lingering concern.

He tracks balls well on vertical routes and shows late hands (a Moss specialty). He's fearless on seam routes and he's always
aware of the boundary line. Excellent quick tap to stay in bounds. Perfect hands technique even as a freshman. High velocity
passes are no problem for Boutte.

Boutte shines at YAC. His transitions after the catch are quick and fluid. He secures the ball quickly, assesses the defender and
instinctively takes evasive action with a wide variety of highly developed footwork skills. He can start, stop, make jump cuts in succession,
spin, hop or whatever is necessary to evade defenders and get up field.

Negatives: Broken ankle 2nd year, had Sx and healed poorly requiring a 2nd Sx. Year 3, new coach clashed with Boutte/doctors over
prolonged rehab. Boutte didn't want to risk a 3rd Sx. Dr.s were conservative with rehab. I don't blame them or him. New inaccurate QB.
Poor combine.

Boutte was the #1 WR projection for '23 as recently as Oct., '22 (see above). He's my 5th ranked WR overall so long as he's physically and mentally
healthy and ready to play with renewed love for the game. He has #1 WR talent.

From my notes on Boutee:

My comp for Boutte is Jarvis Landry although Boutee has better acceleration and short-area quickness than Jarvis Landry.
That shows up on the field with his release, routes, and ball-carrying. His release game has a wide repertoire of moves and
he can use them with patience, suddenness, or violence, depending on the defender. Karate hands with wipe and swim moves.
He lacks the top-end long speed to stack defenders late in a route but he can stack when he earns separation within the
Boutte is adept at using his eyes to set up breaks as he’s using his stems to manipulate his opponents with head an shoulder
fakes. His breaks are tight, sharp, have snap, and he works quickly back to the ball.
Like Zay Flowers, Boutte processes the field fast enough to anticipate the angles of oncoming pursuit just as he’s making
the catch. As a result, he’ll make an immediate move away from the defender a beat earlier than many receivers who would
Also like Flowers, Boutte almost always makes the first man miss in the open field. This is a combination of his footwork, vision,
processing speed, and selection of moves that show excellent balance and body control.
Like Landry, Boutte is a tough football player who can take contact and maintain possession of the ball. He’s not
going to bounce off a lot of hits in the open field, but he’ll slip reaches and pull through some wraps.
Boutte should contribute immediately, if not start, with time spent as a flanker and/or slot receiver. If he doesn’t have a
long career it won’t have to do with his skills. I anticipate a long career unless the ankle injury that required two surgeries is
a lingering concern.

He tracks balls well on vertical routes and shows late hands (a Moss specialty). He's fearless on seam routes and he's always
aware of the boundary line. Excellent quick tap to stay in bounds. Perfect hands technique even as a freshman. High velocity

Boutte shines at YAC. His transitions after the catch are quick and fluid. He secures the ball quickly, assesses the defender and
instinctively takes evasive action with a wide variety of highly developed footwork skills. He can start, stop, make jump cuts in succession,

Negatives: Broken ankle 2nd year, had Sx and healed poorly requiring a 2nd Sx. Year 3, new coach clashed with Boutte/doctors over
prolonged rehab. Boutte didn't want to risk a 3rd Sx. Dr.s were conservative with rehab. I don't blame them or him. New inaccurate QB.
Poor combine.

Boutte was the #1 WR projection for '23 as recently as Oct., '22 (see above). He's my 5th ranked WR overall so long as he's physically and mentally
I went back to 7 pre-draft gradings that I trust. Those who didn't take in consideration "issues" all gave him a 1st round grade. Those who did, gave him no lower than a mid 3rd round grade.
Athlon Sports had him as their top rated WR. That really caught my attention before the draft.

From my notes on Boutee:

a lingering concern.

Poor combine.

Patriots: Kayshon Boutte, WR, LSU (5-11, 195 pounds), No. 187

The Patriots make their second-best pick of the draft for a wide receiver ideal for the kind of additional help they need for Mac Jones. He fits the versatile bill with speed, quickness, hands and route-running that help him be effective either inside or outside as an occasional big-play threat, too.

I take it when this young man ran a 4.5 40 it was more of an anomaly? I’m thinking he isn’t 100% back from his injury yet?What my major concern is with him will he ever be back to what he once was? That was a pretty bad injury he had to his ankle.

I take it when this young man ran a 4.5 40 it was more of an anomaly? I’m thinking he isn’t 100% back from his injury yet?What my major concern is with him will he ever be back to what he once was? That was a pretty bad injury he had to his ankle.
He actually addressed the combine performance, though I haven't seen anyone mention it here. He said there was still a bone broken in his ankle that he ran on. This is why he only ran once, but didn't run a second time, even with his disappointing number. His play is much faster than his combine times, especially short area burst. If he heals well, he could be an absolute steal. That said, he could be a steal even at this speed, because he creates a lot of his separation with his brain and instincts, by positioning and influencing defenders. He doesn't have a super broad route tree, but his route running is nuanced, and that was true even as a freshman.

Exciting get late. I had assumed he didn't heal well or something had happened that was the difference between what we saw early v late career.

As to the "behavioral" stuff... something to keep an eye on, but for a 19 year old...whatever. People mature, especially when they have a kid.

He actually addressed the combine performance, though I haven't seen anyone mention it here. He said there was still a bone broken in his ankle that he ran on. This is why he only ran once, but didn't run a second time, even with his disappointing number. His play is much faster than his combine times, especially short area burst. If he heals well, he could be an absolute steal. That said, he could be a steal even at this speed, because he creates a lot of his separation with his brain and instincts, by positioning and influencing defenders. He doesn't have a super broad route tree, but his route running is nuanced, and that was true even as a freshman.

Exciting get late. I had assumed he didn't heal well or something had happened that was the difference between what we saw early v late career.

As to the "behavioral" stuff... something to keep an eye on, but for a 19 year old...whatever. People mature, especially when they have a kid.
Awesome. Thanks for the info.

Back