Pick #187 Kayshon Boutte WR LSU

I take it when this young man ran a 4.5 40 it was more of an anomaly? I’m thinking he isn’t 100% back from his injury yet?What my major concern is with him will he ever be back to what he once was? That was a pretty bad injury he had to his ankle.
I was told from a friend in Louisiana that along with Boutte injuries his Son was born 3 week before the combine so Boutte was also sleep deprived coming in.

I take it when this young man ran a 4.5 40 it was more of an anomaly? I’m thinking he isn’t 100% back from his injury yet?What my major concern is with him will he ever be back to what he once was? That was a pretty bad injury he had to his ankle.
Still faster than Jakobi Meyers :coffee:

I was told from a friend in Louisiana that along with Boutte injuries his Son was born 3 week before the combine so Boutte was also sleep deprived coming in.
Maybe it’s just me thinking this, but if he was truly sleep deprived because he was taking care of his newborn baby, then I would be impressed with that.

40 times are over rated, Thornton wad the fastest player in the draft last year and it didn't help him much. Billhad to use their 4th round cb to generate a threat on offense. Jerry Rice ran a 4.5 and did pretty well. Football players that can play, can play, it's simple as that, we'll see who rises and who doesn't this fall.

From my notes on Boutee:

My comp for Boutte is Jarvis Landry although Boutee has better acceleration and short-area quickness than Jarvis Landry.
That shows up on the field with his release, routes, and ball-carrying. His release game has a wide repertoire of moves and
he can use them with patience, suddenness, or violence, depending on the defender. Karate hands with wipe and swim moves.
He lacks the top-end long speed to stack defenders late in a route but he can stack when he earns separation within the
first 10-15 yards. With his terrific release tech, that happens commonly.
Boutte is adept at using his eyes to set up breaks as he’s using his stems to manipulate his opponents with head an shoulder
fakes. His breaks are tight, sharp, have snap, and he works quickly back to the ball.
Like Zay Flowers, Boutte processes the field fast enough to anticipate the angles of oncoming pursuit just as he’s making
the catch. As a result, he’ll make an immediate move away from the defender a beat earlier than many receivers who would
otherwise take contact or get tackled.
Also like Flowers, Boutte almost always makes the first man miss in the open field. This is a combination of his footwork, vision,
processing speed, and selection of moves that show excellent balance and body control.
Like Landry, Boutte is a tough football player who can take contact and maintain possession of the ball. He’s not
going to bounce off a lot of hits in the open field, but he’ll slip reaches and pull through some wraps.
Boutte should contribute immediately, if not start, with time spent as a flanker and/or slot receiver. If he doesn’t have a
long career it won’t have to do with his skills. I anticipate a long career unless the ankle injury that required two surgeries is
a lingering concern.

He tracks balls well on vertical routes and shows late hands (a Moss specialty). He's fearless on seam routes and he's always
aware of the boundary line. Excellent quick tap to stay in bounds. Perfect hands technique even as a freshman. High velocity
passes are no problem for Boutte.

Boutte shines at YAC. His transitions after the catch are quick and fluid. He secures the ball quickly, assesses the defender and
instinctively takes evasive action with a wide variety of highly developed footwork skills. He can start, stop, make jump cuts in succession,
spin, hop or whatever is necessary to evade defenders and get up field.

Negatives: Broken ankle 2nd year, had Sx and healed poorly requiring a 2nd Sx. Year 3, new coach clashed with Boutte/doctors over
prolonged rehab. Boutte didn't want to risk a 3rd Sx. Dr.s were conservative with rehab. I don't blame them or him. New inaccurate QB.
Poor combine.

Boutte was the #1 WR projection for '23 as recently as Oct., '22 (see above). He's my 5th ranked WR overall so long as he's physically and mentally
healthy and ready to play with renewed love for the game. He has #1 WR talent.

Thank you for that detailed profile, which you are quite good at.

Rather than respond to all of it, I'll focus on this part:

He tracks balls well on vertical routes and shows late hands (a Moss specialty).

This seems to be an uncommon thing or perhaps not as common as it should be, imo.

I often notice NFL WRs who don't employ this key bit of deception along with mis-timing a jump or even jumping when unnecessary to reach
the ball. That suggests to me either poor fundamentals or bad instincts, because the good ones all seem to play that way. Obviously if you
stick your hands up when the ball is still some distance away then a DB in trail can see that and contest the catch. No bueno. I felt like that
is an area that Tyquan needs to improve as he was pretty raw as a rookie.

All I know is that I'm not overly worried about the 4.5 because Boutte appears to accelerate suddenly and eat up the turf. It looks like he plays faster
than a lot of guys we've had, that's for sure.

I'm optimistic that he can be mentioned among our few draft WR successes (and a bargain at the price) with the normal asterisk for health, etc.

Had a Dynasty FF Draft today. This morning I saw a Twitter post from Justin Jefferson singing Boutte's praises. So I snagged him with my last pick.
Yeah, Boutte became the man as a true freshman on a team that had just lost Jefferson and Chase. So when the announcer says he is "the next great LSU wide out" that's the comparison he's making.

The YAC skills he has are fantastic and exactly what we need. This is definitely the most intriguing selection of the draft because the upside is incredible. If we could have snagged an Anquan Boldin type who has monster yards after the catch, happy days indeed. Boldin was never the biggest WR and ran a 4.71 at his combine…..

Well done 10 minute read w/ videos

Well done 10 minute read w/ videos

Imagine if BB doesn't give up the barn for a WR1, most notably Hopkins.

Then takes a flyer on the 6th round for an injured, but potential to be a 1st rounder and hits a Stefon Diggs-esque home run?

That would be so sweet. I hope this kid pans out.

Back