Pick #187 Kayshon Boutte WR LSU

You guys are almost getting my hopes up here.

View: https://twitter.com/mikekadlick/status/1652404241254739969

As a 1st and 2nd year player Boutte was widely regarded as a worthy successor to Ja'marr Chase. His numbers were outstanding.
Circumstances worked against Boutte early in his 3rd year with his ankle that lasted well into his 4th year bc of a new HC who bullied him into returning against doctors' orders.
When I watch football I always keep a keen eye on the WRs. I'm looking for draft eligible players but as a freshman Boutte's natural ability stole the show. In his 2nd year
Boutte showed NFL worthy improvement in his release, his stem and his breaks. He earned his comparison to Chase by surpassing Chase's early production. He was on his way.

Then...circumstances.

His story in a nutshell:
Boutte was unfairly criticized by many after new '22 HC Brian Kelly cajoled him with criticism at a presser to get back on the field. Kelly knew the doctors advised against it but Kelly was new and chose to use Boutte as an example of Kelly's own toughness. Boutte suffered public scrutiny. A week or two went by & the media learned Boutte's doctors advised that he could be looking at a 3rd ankle surgery if he got on the field. Truth won out and now it was Kelly's turn to be tarred and feathered publicly. Kelly ended up apologizing publicly and sucking up to Boutte and the team but distrust had already built a wall between them. Now add a position change to Slot and a new inaccurate QB. That's what led to Boutte's poor season in '22.
I couldn't fault Boutte for these circumstances out of his control.

Sometimes bad things do happen to good people.

He remained among my top WRs for the Patriots for the 2023 draft although I understand why other teams might classify this as a "character concern". I'm delighted the Patriots saw through the bullshit.

View: https://twitter.com/mikekadlick/status/1652404241254739969

As a 1st and 2nd year player Boutte was widely regarded as a worthy successor to Ja'marr Chase. His numbers were outstanding.
Circumstances worked against Boutte early in his 3rd year with his ankle that lasted well into his 4th year bc of a new HC who bullied him into returning against doctors' orders.
When I watch football I always keep a keen eye on the WRs. I'm looking for draft eligible players but as a freshman Boutte's natural ability stole the show. In his 2nd year
Boutte showed NFL worthy improvement in his release, his stem and his breaks. He earned his comparison to Chase by surpassing Chase's early production. He was on his way.

Then...circumstances.

His story in a nutshell:
Boutte was unfairly criticized by many after new '22 HC Brian Kelly cajoled him with criticism at a presser to get back on the field. Kelly knew the doctors advised against it but Kelly was new and chose to use Boutte as an example of Kelly's own toughness. Boutte suffered public scrutiny. A week or two went by & the media learned Boutte's doctors advised that he could be looking at a 3rd ankle surgery if he got on the field. Truth won out and now it was Kelly's turn to be tarred and feathered publicly. Kelly ended up apologizing publicly and sucking up to Boutte and the team but distrust had already built a wall between them. Now add a position change to Slot and a new inaccurate QB. That's what led to Boutte's poor season in '22.
I couldn't fault Boutte for these circumstances out of his control.

Sometimes bad things do happen to good people.

He remained among my top WRs for the Patriots for the 2023 draft although I understand why other teams might classify this as a "character concern". I'm delighted the Patriots saw through the bullshit.

A good friend of mine is a hardcore Georgia fan and couldn't believe Boutte fell to the Pats where he did. He truly feels LSU mismanaged the entire situation, much to the benefit of the rest of the SEC.

Nothing wrong with drafting a guy with a massive chip on his shoulder in the 6th.

Just read that Kevin Faulk thinks that Kayshon is the real deal. Kevin knows Kayshon personally and also has ties to the coaching staff at LSU, prior to Kelly getting the job last year.

Just read that Kevin Faulk thinks that Kayshon is the real deal. Kevin knows Kayshon personally and also has ties to the coaching staff at LSU, prior to Kelly getting the job last year.

Kevin should know. He was LSU's RBs coach during Boutte's 1st 2 years at LSU.
Faulk basically shut down every question about Boutte's character saying he's a really good kid and loves to be coached.
I've thought ever since Boutte was drafted that Faulk was probably used as a character reference.

Back