Pole: Manning receivers

How do Manning's receivers in Denver compare to what he had in Indy?

• Indy's weapons were better and deeper

Votes: 11 40.7%
  • Indy's weapons were better, but top heavy. Denver is deeper

Votes: 7 25.9%
  • Denver's weapons are equal in quality and depth

Votes: 3 11.1%
  • Denver's weapons are better and deeper

Votes: 4 14.8%
  • Manning only plays with zombies

Votes: 2 7.4%

• Total voters

Oswlek

Reaction score
I got into a surprisingly heated discussion with a buddy yesterday about Manning's success in Denver and how good the new receiving weapons are. Since we have some Indy fans here, as well as Pats fans who probably watched a lot of Colt games, I'm hoping you can help me settle our debate.

How good are the receiving weapons Manning has in Denver compared to what he had in Indy? I say "weapons" because TEs and RBs are included in the discussion. I'll eventually share what my opinion is, but for now I don't want to bias the pole.

So what say you?

I got into a surprisingly heated discussion with a buddy yesterday about Manning's success in Denver and how good the new receiving weapons are. Since we have some Indy fans here, as well as Pats fans who probably watched a lot of Colt games, I'm hoping you can help me settle our debate.

How good are the receiving weapons Manning has in Denver compared to what he had in Indy? I say "weapons" because TEs and RBs are included in the discussion. I'll eventually share what my opinion is, but for now I don't want to bias the pole.

So what say you?

Hard to say cause you have a one year history v. what 12 years, but:

Harrison, Wayne, Stokely, Clark. James???

You kidding me?

Cheers

I pretty much got slammed the other day in the chat room during the game because I said I thought Denver has a better all-around offense than the Colts ever did. I think Manning has a really talented corps of receivers, not to mention his TEs in this offense.

Decker is big, strong, accurate, and a better WR than anybody gives him credit for. Thomas is fast, runs good routes, and can stretch the field. Tamme, Stokely...

Denver is scary with Manning at the helm.

Decker is big, strong, and drool
FYP
:tongue:

I picked the second option. It seems like Indy counted on guys always being there in a specific role and if they weren't there, they couldn't adjust to it. Denver's on while having Indy elements I am sure also has more multiplicity (motion, etc) which calls for more versatile players which means depth is a must.

FYP
:tongue:

I picked the second option. It seems like Indy counted on guys always being there in a specific role and if they weren't there, they couldn't adjust to it. Denver's on while having Indy elements I am sure also has more multiplicity (motion, etc) which calls for more versatile players which means depth is a must.

ROFL Yeah, that too! For sure!

Some is the same, some is better than various times. I watched some amazing catches in that last game, the one hander by decker and that leaping one hander by the other receiver....I think TE wise it was a little better with Dallas Clark in his prime...I think the run game is a bit better here than in most years...Receivers, I would have to slightly give the edge to indy when they had both Harrison and Wayne. Oline in denver is very good, not sure it was ever as good as this in indy.

Hard to say cause you have a one year history v. what 12 years, but:

Harrison, Wayne, Stokely, Clark. James???

You kidding me?

Cheers

Yeah, I don't know how to answer this either. Are we supposed to take the average of those 12 years? Pretty hard to do.

Agree that Harrison/Wayne/Stokley/James/Clark hard to beat.

Yeah, I don't know how to answer this either. Are we supposed to take the average of those 12 years? Pretty hard to do.

Agree that Harrison/Wayne/Stokley/James/Clark hard to beat.

I understand that there is going to be variance over the course of a decade, and you can stipulate whatever conditions you want. Don't make it any more complicated than it needs to be.

Manning has a better COMPLETE team this year than any colts team he had when you compare all three aspects of the team but if your talking just offense it has to be the colts, Wayne and Harrison are both borderline HOF players, clark was a top 5 TE in his prime, james a consistent 1500 yard back year in and year out and he had a younger better stokley than he does now. Thomas and decker are talented receivers but you have to give manning a ton of credit for making these guys better just how brady does the same with our guys. Wayne this year proved he's an elite receiver with or without an elite QB the same can't be said about thomas and decker imo. As for the rest of the guys on offense the oline in denver currently is probably a bit better than the best OL he had in Indy when they had tarik glenn et al the rest of the offensive skill players aren't anything great.
Posted via Mobile Device

Manning has a better COMPLETE team this year than any colts team he had when you compare all three aspects of the team but if your talking just offense it has to be the colts, Wayne and Harrison are both borderline HOF players, clark was a top 5 TE in his prime, james a consistent 1500 yard back year in and year out and he had a younger better stokley than he does now. Thomas and decker are talented receivers but you have to give manning a ton of credit for making these guys better just how brady does the same with our guys. Wayne this year proved he's an elite receiver with or without an elite QB the same can't be said about thomas and decker imo. As for the rest of the guys on offense the oline in denver currently is probably a bit better than the best OL he had in Indy when they had tarik glenn et al the rest of the offensive skill players aren't anything great.
Posted via Mobile Device

I think the 2007 colts team was the best team that Manning had....great offensive players, top 3 defense...cannot really ask for better.....I am not sure saying Manning made Decker and Thomas better than Tebow is saying much....Thomas was not drafted in the first round because someday they thought Manning would come along and make him better, he obviously was talented.

<table><tbody><tr class="loop-even"><td class="col-jersey" rel="81">
81 </td> <td class="col-name"> Dreessen, Joel </td> <td class="col-position">TE</td> <td class="col-height">6-4</td> <td class="col-weight">245</td><td class="col-bd">30</td><td class="col-exp" rel="07"> 7 </td> <td class="col-college">Colorado State</td> </tr><tr class="loop-odd"> <td class="col-jersey" rel="85"> 85 </td> <td class="col-name"> Green, Virgil </td> <td class="col-position">TE</td> <td class="col-height">6-5</td> <td class="col-weight">252</td><td class="col-bd">24</td><td class="col-exp" rel="02"> 2 </td> <td class="col-college">Nevada</td> </tr><tr class="loop-even"> <td class="col-jersey" rel="84"> 84 </td> <td class="col-name"> Tamme, Jacob </td> <td class="col-position">TE</td> <td class="col-height">6-3</td> <td class="col-weight">236</td><td class="col-bd">27</td><td class="col-exp" rel="05"> 5 </td> <td class="col-college">Kentucky</td> </tr><tr class="loop-odd"> <td class="col-jersey" rel="80"> 80 </td> <td class="col-name"> Thomas, Julius </td> <td class="col-position">TE</td> <td class="col-height">6-5</td> <td class="col-weight">255</td><td class="col-bd">24</td><td class="col-exp" rel="02"> 2 </td> <td class="col-college">Portland State</td> </tr><tr class="loop-even"> <td class="col-jersey" rel="55">
</td> <td class="col-name">
</td> <td class="col-position">
</td> <td class="col-height">
</td> <td class="col-weight">
</td><td class="col-bd">
</td><td class="col-exp" rel="09">
</td> <td class="col-college">
</td> </tr><tr class="loop-odd loop-last"> <td class="col-jersey" rel="52">
</td><td class="col-bd">
</td><td class="col-exp" rel="05">
</td> </tr><tr class="loop-even"> <td class="col-jersey" rel="17"> 17 </td> <td class="col-name"> Caldwell, Andre </td> <td class="col-position">WR</td> <td class="col-height">6-0</td> <td class="col-weight">190</td><td class="col-bd">27</td><td class="col-exp" rel="05"> 5 </td> <td class="col-college">Florida</td> </tr><tr class="loop-odd"> <td class="col-jersey" rel="87"> 87 </td> <td class="col-name"> Decker, Eric </td> <td class="col-position">WR</td> <td class="col-height">6-3</td> <td class="col-weight">218</td><td class="col-bd">25</td><td class="col-exp" rel="03"> 3 </td> <td class="col-college">Minnesota</td> </tr><tr class="loop-even"> <td class="col-jersey" rel="11"> 11 </td> <td class="col-name"> Holliday, Trindon </td> <td class="col-position">WR</td> <td class="col-height">5-5</td> <td class="col-weight">170</td><td class="col-bd">26</td><td class="col-exp" rel="02"> 2 </td> <td class="col-college">LSU</td> </tr><tr class="loop-odd"> <td class="col-jersey" rel="14"> 14 </td> <td class="col-name"> Stokley, Brandon </td> <td class="col-position">WR</td> <td class="col-height">6-0</td> <td class="col-weight">194</td><td class="col-bd">36</td><td class="col-exp" rel="14"> 14 </td> <td class="col-college">Southwestern Louisiana</td> </tr><tr class="loop-even"> <td class="col-jersey" rel="88"> 88 </td> <td class="col-name"> Thomas, Demaryius </td> <td class="col-position">WR</td> <td class="col-height">6-3</td> <td class="col-weight">229</td><td class="col-bd">25</td><td class="col-exp" rel="03"> 3 </td> <td class="col-college">Georgia Tech</td> </tr><tr class="loop-odd"> <td class="col-jersey" rel="12"> 12 </td> <td class="col-name"> Willis, Matthew </td> <td class="col-position">WR</td> <td class="col-height">6-0</td> <td class="col-weight">190</td><td class="col-bd">28</td><td class="col-exp" rel="05"> 5 </td> <td class="col-college">UCLA</td> </tr></tbody> </table>

<table class="team-stats-receiving"><thead><tr><th rowspan="2" class="">Player</th><th rowspan="2" class="">Rec</th><th rowspan="2" class="">Yds</th><th rowspan="2" class="">Yds/Rec</th><th rowspan="2" class="">Long</th><th rowspan="2" class="">TD</th></tr> <tr> </tr> </thead> <tbody> <tr class=" loop-first loop-odd "> <td class=" loop-first loop-odd ">Demaryius Thomas</td> <td class=" loop-even ">94</td> <td class=" loop-odd ">1,434</td> <td class=" loop-even ">15.3</td> <td class=" loop-odd ">71</td> <td class=" loop-even loop-last ">10</td> </tr> <tr class=" loop-even "> <td class=" loop-first loop-odd ">Eric Decker</td> <td class=" loop-even ">85</td> <td class=" loop-odd ">1,064</td> <td class=" loop-even ">12.5</td> <td class=" loop-odd ">55</td> <td class=" loop-even loop-last ">13</td> </tr> <tr class=" loop-odd "> <td class=" loop-first loop-odd ">Jacob Tamme</td> <td class=" loop-even ">52</td> <td class=" loop-odd ">555</td> <td class=" loop-even ">10.7</td> <td class=" loop-odd ">36</td> <td class=" loop-even loop-last ">2</td> </tr> <tr class=" loop-even "> <td class=" loop-first loop-odd ">Brandon Stokley</td> <td class=" loop-even ">45</td> <td class=" loop-odd ">544</td> <td class=" loop-even ">12.1</td> <td class=" loop-odd ">38</td> <td class=" loop-even loop-last ">5</td> </tr> <tr class=" loop-odd "> <td class=" loop-first loop-odd ">Joel Dreessen</td> <td class=" loop-even ">41</td> <td class=" loop-odd ">356</td> <td class=" loop-even ">8.7</td> <td class=" loop-odd ">30</td> <td class=" loop-even loop-last ">5</td> </tr> <tr class=" loop-even "> <td class=" loop-first loop-odd ">Willis McGahee</td> <td class=" loop-even ">26</td> <td class=" loop-odd ">221</td> <td class=" loop-even ">8.5</td> <td class=" loop-odd ">31</td> <td class=" loop-even loop-last ">0</td> </tr> <tr class=" loop-odd "> <td class=" loop-first loop-odd ">Knowshon Moreno</td> <td class=" loop-even ">21</td> <td class=" loop-odd ">167</td> <td class=" loop-even ">8.0</td> <td class=" loop-odd ">26</td> <td class=" loop-even loop-last ">0</td> </tr> <tr class=" loop-even "> <td class=" loop-first loop-odd ">Ronnie Hillman</td> <td class=" loop-even ">10</td> <td class=" loop-odd ">62</td> <td class=" loop-even ">6.2</td> <td class=" loop-odd ">29</td> <td class=" loop-even loop-last ">0</td> </tr> <tr class=" loop-odd "> <td class=" loop-first loop-odd ">Matt Willis</td> <td class=" loop-even ">10</td> <td class=" loop-odd ">90</td> <td class=" loop-even ">9.0</td> <td class=" loop-odd ">19</td> <td class=" loop-even loop-last ">0</td> </tr> <tr class=" loop-even "> <td class=" loop-first loop-odd ">Lance Ball</td> <td class=" loop-even ">7</td> <td class=" loop-odd ">61</td> <td class=" loop-even ">8.7</td> <td class=" loop-odd ">17</td> <td class=" loop-even loop-last ">1</td> </tr> <tr class=" loop-odd "> <td class=" loop-first loop-odd ">Virgil Green</td> <td class=" loop-even ">5</td> <td class=" loop-odd ">63</td> <td class=" loop-even ">12.6</td> <td class=" loop-odd ">28</td> <td class=" loop-even loop-last ">0</td> </tr> <tr class=" loop-even "> <td class=" loop-first loop-odd ">Trindon Holliday</td> <td class=" loop-even ">2</td> <td class=" loop-odd ">17</td> <td class=" loop-even ">8.5</td> <td class=" loop-odd ">15</td> <td class=" loop-even loop-last ">0</td> </tr> <tr class=" loop-odd "> <td class=" loop-first loop-odd ">Andre Caldwell</td> <td class=" loop-even ">1</td> <td class=" loop-odd ">18</td> <td class=" loop-even ">18.0</td> <td class=" loop-odd ">18</td> <td class=" loop-even loop-last ">0</td> </tr> <tr class=" loop-even "> <td class=" loop-first loop-odd ">Chris Gronkowski</td> <td class=" loop-even ">1</td> <td class=" loop-odd ">11</td> <td class=" loop-even ">11.0</td> <td class=" loop-odd ">11</td> <td class=" loop-even loop-last ">0</td> </tr> <tr class=" loop-odd "> <td class=" loop-first loop-odd ">Jacob Hester</td> <td class=" loop-even ">1</td> <td class=" loop-odd ">7</td> <td class=" loop-even ">7.0</td> <td class=" loop-odd ">7</td> <td class=" loop-even loop-last ">0</td> </tr> <tr class=" loop-even loop-last "> <td class=" loop-first loop-odd ">Mitch Unrein</td> <td class=" loop-even ">1</td> <td class=" loop-odd ">1</td> <td class=" loop-even ">1.0</td> <td class=" loop-odd ">1</td> <td class=" loop-even loop-last ">1</td> </tr> </tbody> </table>

I'd have to say PManning's weapons in Denver are pretty awesome. Thomas and Decker are big, tall and able to get open. PM never had a WR combination like that in Indy. Combine their passing game with their running game with Willis McGahee and Moreno contributing another 1250 yds, and PM must be in QB heaven in mile high country.

<table><tbody><tr class="loop-even"><td class="col-jersey" rel="81">
81 </td> <td class="col-name"> Dreessen, Joel </td> <td class="col-position">TE</td> <td class="col-height">6-4</td> <td class="col-weight">245</td><td class="col-bd">30</td><td class="col-exp" rel="07"> 7 </td> <td class="col-college">Colorado State</td> </tr><tr class="loop-odd"> <td class="col-jersey" rel="85"> 85 </td> <td class="col-name"> Green, Virgil </td> <td class="col-position">TE</td> <td class="col-height">6-5</td> <td class="col-weight">252</td><td class="col-bd">24</td><td class="col-exp" rel="02"> 2 </td> <td class="col-college">Nevada</td> </tr><tr class="loop-even"> <td class="col-jersey" rel="84"> 84 </td> <td class="col-name"> Tamme, Jacob </td> <td class="col-position">TE</td> <td class="col-height">6-3</td> <td class="col-weight">236</td><td class="col-bd">27</td><td class="col-exp" rel="05"> 5 </td> <td class="col-college">Kentucky</td> </tr><tr class="loop-odd"> <td class="col-jersey" rel="80"> 80 </td> <td class="col-name"> Thomas, Julius </td> <td class="col-position">TE</td> <td class="col-height">6-5</td> <td class="col-weight">255</td><td class="col-bd">24</td><td class="col-exp" rel="02"> 2 </td> <td class="col-college">Portland State</td> </tr><tr class="loop-even"> <td class="col-jersey" rel="55">
</td><td class="col-bd">
</td><td class="col-exp" rel="09">
</td> </tr><tr class="loop-odd loop-last"> <td class="col-jersey" rel="52">
</td><td class="col-bd">
</td><td class="col-exp" rel="05">
</td> </tr><tr class="loop-even"> <td class="col-jersey" rel="17"> 17 </td> <td class="col-name"> Caldwell, Andre </td> <td class="col-position">WR</td> <td class="col-height">6-0</td> <td class="col-weight">190</td><td class="col-bd">27</td><td class="col-exp" rel="05"> 5 </td> <td class="col-college">Florida</td> </tr><tr class="loop-odd"> <td class="col-jersey" rel="87"> 87 </td> <td class="col-name"> Decker, Eric </td> <td class="col-position">WR</td> <td class="col-height">6-3</td> <td class="col-weight">218</td><td class="col-bd">25</td><td class="col-exp" rel="03"> 3 </td> <td class="col-college">Minnesota</td> </tr><tr class="loop-even"> <td class="col-jersey" rel="11"> 11 </td> <td class="col-name"> Holliday, Trindon </td> <td class="col-position">WR</td> <td class="col-height">5-5</td> <td class="col-weight">170</td><td class="col-bd">26</td><td class="col-exp" rel="02"> 2 </td> <td class="col-college">LSU</td> </tr><tr class="loop-odd"> <td class="col-jersey" rel="14"> 14 </td> <td class="col-name"> Stokley, Brandon </td> <td class="col-position">WR</td> <td class="col-height">6-0</td> <td class="col-weight">194</td><td class="col-bd">36</td><td class="col-exp" rel="14"> 14 </td> <td class="col-college">Southwestern Louisiana</td> </tr><tr class="loop-even"> <td class="col-jersey" rel="88"> 88 </td> <td class="col-name"> Thomas, Demaryius </td> <td class="col-position">WR</td> <td class="col-height">6-3</td> <td class="col-weight">229</td><td class="col-bd">25</td><td class="col-exp" rel="03"> 3 </td> <td class="col-college">Georgia Tech</td> </tr><tr class="loop-odd"> <td class="col-jersey" rel="12"> 12 </td> <td class="col-name"> Willis, Matthew </td> <td class="col-position">WR</td> <td class="col-height">6-0</td> <td class="col-weight">190</td><td class="col-bd">28</td><td class="col-exp" rel="05"> 5 </td> <td class="col-college">UCLA</td> </tr></tbody> </table>

I'd have to say PManning's weapons in Denver are pretty awesome. Thomas and Decker are big, tall and able to get open. PM never had a WR combination like that in Indy. Combine their passing game with their running game with Willis McGahee and Moreno contributing another 1250 yds, and PM must be in QB heaven in mile high country.

I watched this play last Sunday. Manning was under a bit of pressure and threw this wobbly duck that I swear was in the air 20 minutes...Decker fought through 3 guys came back and caught the ball with 3 defenders sitting there staring at him....it was quite amazing.

Manning should call McDaniels and offer him a hearty thanks for drafting all these weapons and interior pass protectors.

He has a better offensive line in Denver than what he had in Indy in recent memory.

Yeah I said as much...there were times his line was ok, but its really hard to tell because Manning never really gets touched.

I pretty much got slammed the other day in the chat room during the game because I said I thought Denver has a better all-around offense than the Colts ever did. I think Manning has a really talented corps of receivers, not to mention his TEs in this offense.

Decker is big, strong, accurate, and a better WR than anybody gives him credit for. Thomas is fast, runs good routes, and can stretch the field. Tamme, Stokely...

Denver is scary with Manning at the helm.

How many of them are going to the Hall of Fame without a ticket?

Because Harrison, Wayne and James most likely are. Jacob Tamme...wow... :coffee:

(Also, how is Decker accurate, exactly?)

How many of them are going to the Hall of Fame without a ticket?

Because Harrison, Wayne and James most likely are. Jacob Tamme...wow... :coffee:

(Also, how is Decker accurate, exactly?)

Thomas has been in the league about 2 years, so we might want to wait on the hall of fame talk...but I am sure he was drafted up that high for more than just his good looks. Decker had 85 catches over 1000 yards and 13 td's, if he gets that for 10 years, he is in the hall of fame. Thomas had 94 catches 1400 yards 10 td's...same for him.

He has a better offensive line in Denver than what he had in Indy in recent memory.

Which certainly would speak to Edgerrin James' ability, one would think.

And to the "complete teamers" who think Manning has "never had a defense like this before":

2002: 7th in pts allowed, 8th in yds allowed
2005: 2nd in pts allowed, 11th in yds allowed
2007: 1st in pts allowed, 3rd in yds allowed
2008: 7th in pts allowed, 11th in yds allowed
2009: 8th in pts allowed, 18th in yds allowed

For some reference, the Patriots haven't had a team approaching both those numbers since the 2009 season.

Don't tell me he never had a defense in Indy, and for the love of god, don't tell me Eric Decker is better than Reggie Wayne is right now never mind 6 years ago.

Which certainly would speak to Edgerrin James' ability, one would think.

And to the "complete teamers" who think Manning has "never had a defense like this before":

2002: 7th in pts allowed, 8th in yds allowed
2005: 2nd in pts allowed, 11th in yds allowed
2007: 1st in pts allowed, 3rd in yds allowed
2008: 7th in pts allowed, 11th in yds allowed
2009: 8th in pts allowed, 18th in yds allowed

For some reference, the Patriots haven't had a team approaching both those numbers since the 2009 season.

Don't tell me he never had a defense in Indy, and for the love of god, don't tell me Eric Decker is better than Reggie Wayne is right now never mind 6 years ago.

Eric Decker is not better than Wayne, but Decker is a very good receiver who has a nose for the endzone...he caught 8 td's from Tebow.

Back