Poll: Haynesworth

What say you?

• 1. If it works, it?s great. This is football. To hell with character.

Votes: 22 37.3%
  • 2. I don?t like the character aspect but I?ll hold my nose and hope for the best.

Votes: 29 49.2%
  • 3. He is the Champion turd of the whole NFL and I?m not sure I can get past it.

Votes: 6 10.2%
  • 4. He is the Champion turd of the whole NFL and I can?t get past it.

Votes: 2 3.4%

• Total voters
Beats the hell out of me, you'll have to ask Boston Tim - he came up with the options. I just cut and pasted them bitches. :shrug:
bmooney54 just said about as well as I can describe it. "Showing up, playing well and not being a douche"". Ie - Dillion was a factor. Moss was a factor. Can Fat Albert be something like that?

Cheers

I just don't know where the douchebag threshold is before he gets cut. Most people are seeing it as black and white - if he sucks he's cut, if he's good we win the SB. He could play great but be a cancer in the lockerroom, or be a good soldier for 3 months and have a douchy outburst in December, or get suspended in the middle of the season for some off-field antics. How much will this team tolerate?

He's a turd and I'm not sure I can get past it.

And let's play the game I always like to play when we do the "let's sign this guy" game.

Actual Production:

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/H/HaynAl20.htm

Since stomping on that guy in 2008, he's got 43 tackles and 6.5 sacks. Let's put it another way. Mike Wright's stats:

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/W/WrigMi20.htm

I don't like this at all. I hope this doesn't hamstring the cap, I really don't. I'll be shocked if he lasts the season.

He's a turd and I'm not sure I can get past it.

And let's play the game I always like to play when we do the "let's sign this guy" game.

Actual Production:

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/H/HaynAl20.htm

Since stomping on that guy in 2008, he's got 43 tackles and 6.5 sacks. Let's put it another way. Mike Wright's stats:

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/W/WrigMi20.htm

I don't like this at all. I hope this doesn't hamstring the cap, I really don't. I'll be shocked if he lasts the season.

Hamstrings the cap? He is 5mil with no guaranteed money. If he comes in and does not produce better than Mike Wright they cut him....issue over...again its one of those BB all reward no risk things.

Hamstrings the cap? He is 5mil with no guaranteed money. If he comes in and does not produce better than Mike Wright they cut him....issue over...again its one of those BB all reward no risk things.

The $5.4 mil is guaranteed.

I just saw about 5 things on the other thread that said it was not, so I guess knowing which one it is would help.
Because he is a vested veteran if he is on the Game 1 roster, the 5.4 million becomes guaranteed.

I'm sick of losing home playoff games. Especially to the Jets and Ravens. Sick of it. If Gaddafi, the devil and Kim Jong Ill can rush the passer, bring them the F in here too!

I'm sick of losing home playoff games. Especially to the Jets and Ravens. Sick of it. If Gaddafi, the devil and Kim Jong Ill can rush the passer, bring them the F in here too!

BRAVO!!!!

:toast: :thumb: :choices:

I love the fact that our team has huge stock in good moral character, locker room cohesion, and has a lot of role models, but I want to win. Every other team has thugs *cough Steelers, Ravens, Jets, Bengals leading the way, so if I took out the scales and balanced winning against taking a shot, winning weights it down for me.

Now let's go get Cedric Benson!!!!
just kidding.

And just another thought. Listening to Felger and Mazz yesterday, Mazz was stuttering all day over the Haynesworth trade. He hates it, hates Haynesworth, and was badmouthing him all day long. He was on a tirade. After listening to him s-s-s-stutter for about a half hour over this, it occurred to me, how smart is this? Local sports radio is tanking him, calling him every bad name imaginable, bringing up everything in his past including jaywalking and littering, and the guy isn't even here yet. Wow, bring out the welcome wagons, you morons. You want to see a guy hate his situation fast, just turn on 98.5 and listen to Mazz.

For me, this is about today. I don't care what he did yesterday or the day before. Give him a chance to screw it up here before you make him hate us all. As long as he didn't rape someone (or two or three, i.e. Roethlisburger) or kill someone (and get away with it, i.e. Ray Ray, even though I would probably take him here), I'm okay with this. And if Mazz goes spastic again today, I'm going to get everyone I know to call in and tell him to STFU, enough already, you friggin retard.

I'll get off the soapbox now.

Anyone remember Ben Coates bouncing his g/f off a car? Irving Fryar being filleted by his wife? Zeke Mowatt showing "Little Zeke" to Lisa Olsen? The mosh pit? Some guys named Bryan Cox, Corey Dillon, and Randy Moss? Rodney HGHarrison, the supposed "dirtiest player in the NFL"?

The problem with public perception is twofold.

In general, people think their athletes are heroes. In reality, they're just men, with all the problems that most men have... to wit, they're probably assholes. Every team has them. There are guys with drug issues, gun issues, speeding in their car issues, rage issues, performance and effort issues, whatever.

In specific, people think "the Patriot Way" means 53 altarboys. It doesn't, and it never did. It's about 53 guys playing unselfishly to form a T-E-A-M with the ultimate goal in mind being winning a Super Bowl.

The Randy Moss of youth was too immature, too concerned with himself. Age educated him to the point where he began to realize that the missing ring was more important. Same went for Corey Dillon. Same probably goes now for Chad.

Now, as for Haynesworth, it's going to be up to him. If he comes in here and makes it clear that he's only interested in winning, then he'll get along fine (at least for a while, hopefully through one season where the Patriots win a Super Bowl and Haynesworth sets himself up for a fat contract somewhere else). If he comes in here and makes it clear that it's all about "me, me, me", then he won't be here for long. Either way, it's not a distraction because the other 52 guys already get "the Patriot Way". Gronk and Welker and Brady and Mayo and whoever aren't suddenly going to say, "Hey, this guy's right! It's all about me too! Screw the team!" Not gonna happen, not with the environment created by Belichick. This is why only the Patriots can take risks on these kinds of guys and either a.) get something out of them or b.) have it be a "no harm no foul" and cut their losses.

Do I prefer they'd signed some stud without issues? Sure. But there's a reason you get guys cheap: it's because they're coming off injury, or old, or have some sort of attitude problem or legal problem or whatnot. We wouldn't have GOTTEN the Dillons and Harrisons and Mosses otherwise. And we wouldn't have gotten "$100M" Haynesworth for $5M and a 5th, or Chad for two paltry late-rounders. That's why it's a risk-reward scenario. You want studs without character issues, you draft 'em high or you find diamonds in the rough (Brady) and you pay them big bucks.

It is what it is.

Anyone remember Ben Coates bouncing his g/f off a car? Irving Fryar being filleted by his wife? Zeke Mowatt showing "Little Zeke" to Lisa Olsen? The mosh pit? Some guys named Bryan Cox, Corey Dillon, and Randy Moss? Rodney HGHarrison, the supposed "dirtiest player in the NFL"?

The problem with public perception is twofold.

In general, people think their athletes are heroes. In reality, they're just men, with all the problems that most men have... to wit, they're probably assholes. Every team has them. There are guys with drug issues, gun issues, speeding in their car issues, rage issues, performance and effort issues, whatever.

In specific, people think "the Patriot Way" means 53 altarboys. It doesn't, and it never did. It's about 53 guys playing unselfishly to form a T-E-A-M with the ultimate goal in mind being winning a Super Bowl.

The Randy Moss of youth was too immature, too concerned with himself. Age educated him to the point where he began to realize that the missing ring was more important. Same went for Corey Dillon. Same probably goes now for Chad.

Now, as for Haynesworth, it's going to be up to him. If he comes in here and makes it clear that he's only interested in winning, then he'll get along fine (at least for a while, hopefully through one season where the Patriots win a Super Bowl and Haynesworth sets himself up for a fat contract somewhere else). If he comes in here and makes it clear that it's all about "me, me, me", then he won't be here for long. Either way, it's not a distraction because the other 52 guys already get "the Patriot Way". Gronk and Welker and Brady and Mayo and whoever aren't suddenly going to say, "Hey, this guy's right! It's all about me too! Screw the team!" Not gonna happen, not with the environment created by Belichick. This is why only the Patriots can take risks on these kinds of guys and either a.) get something out of them or b.) have it be a "no harm no foul" and cut their losses.

Do I prefer they'd signed some stud without issues? Sure. But there's a reason you get guys cheap: it's because they're coming off injury, or old, or have some sort of attitude problem or legal problem or whatnot. We wouldn't have GOTTEN the Dillons and Harrisons and Mosses otherwise. And we wouldn't have gotten "$100M" Haynesworth for $5M and a 5th, or Chad for two paltry late-rounders. That's why it's a risk-reward scenario. You want studs without character issues, you draft 'em high or you find diamonds in the rough (Brady) and you pay them big bucks.

It is what it is.

Of course. But even beyond the similarity between Moss/Dillon and Haynesworth are these facts:

1) Multiple former players have come out and said they were genuinely afraid of the guy.

2) He would read papers during team meetings, be asked not to and just look down and keep reading.

3) He has stated that he doesn't want to be coached during the games.

4) He patently refused to do anything but rush the QB on 3rd down nickle plays in Washington.

Nobody likes cheering for a thug, but there's a whole lot of football related issues as well.

And just another thought. Listening to Felger and Mazz yesterday, Mazz was stuttering all day over the Haynesworth trade. He hates it, hates Haynesworth, and was badmouthing him all day long. He was on a tirade. After listening to him s-s-s-stutter for about a half hour over this, it occurred to me, how smart is this? Local sports radio is tanking him, calling him every bad name imaginable, bringing up everything in his past including jaywalking and littering, and the guy isn't even here yet. Wow, bring out the welcome wagons, you morons. You want to see a guy hate his situation fast, just turn on 98.5 and listen to Mazz.

For me, this is about today. I don't care what he did yesterday or the day before. Give him a chance to screw it up here before you make him hate us all. As long as he didn't rape someone (or two or three, i.e. Roethlisburger) or kill someone (and get away with it, i.e. Ray Ray, even though I would probably take him here), I'm okay with this. And if Mazz goes spastic again today, I'm going to get everyone I know to call in and tell him to STFU, enough already, you friggin retard.

I'll get off the soapbox now.

I heard some of that as well, PFL. 5 mins I'd guess. I finally had to turn to eei because of it then I just turned the radio off since I can't stand the overtalking that goes on there. I agree with you about that kind of welcoming wagon and thought the same thing as you when Mazz continued to rant on and on and on. I was relieved when I found out that Haynesworth didn't arrive til last night after Mazz went off the air.

I heard some of that as well, PFL. 5 mins I'd guess. I finally had to turn to eei because of it then I just turned the radio off since I can't stand the overtalking that goes on there. I agree with you about that kind of welcoming wagon and thought the same thing as you when Mazz continued to rant on and on and on. I was relieved when I found out that Haynesworth didn't arrive til last night after Mazz went off the air.

I was listening to it too and then started wondering if those 2 are paid to bash the Pats then I changed over to a music station because even when Mazz isn't annoying the crap out of me his voice just grates on my nerves

Of course. But even beyond the similarity between Moss/Dillon and Haynesworth are these facts:

1) Multiple former players have come out and said they were genuinely afraid of the guy.

2) He would read papers during team meetings, be asked not to and just look down and keep reading.

4) He patently refused to do anything but rush the QB on 3rd down nickle plays in Washington.

Nobody likes cheering for a thug, but there's a whole lot of football related issues as well.
Warren Sapp was breaking down some film on NFLN last night and it did not look good at all.

However, Jamie Dukes was a BIG fan of the trade. So you've got that going for you.

If he does that crap here repeatedly, he's out of football for good.

But for some reason I think that behavior was exaggerated by him at the time and it was specific to the Redskins and Shanny. Don't get me wrong, I think the guy has some major social issues just as Moss does, although very different than Moss. AH is more actively aggressive while Moss is more passively aggressive, imo. AH has a personal choice to make. He may choose to contain his sociopathic behavior, play ball and win games. Or he may choose to continue his old ways and, by doing so, be out of football altogether. He already has more money than he ever dreamed of which could make the latter the easy choice for him.

Back