Poll: Haynesworth

What say you?

• 1. If it works, it?s great. This is football. To hell with character.

Votes: 22 37.3%
  • 2. I don?t like the character aspect but I?ll hold my nose and hope for the best.

Votes: 29 49.2%
  • 3. He is the Champion turd of the whole NFL and I?m not sure I can get past it.

Votes: 6 10.2%
  • 4. He is the Champion turd of the whole NFL and I can?t get past it.

Votes: 2 3.4%

• Total voters
I like the top 10 program (but yeah, they're running out of things to count down now)

I still wish they'd do more Xs and Os type stuff, but then I get that doesn't appeal to the general audience.

One thing they do need to do, and immediately, is get some new goddamn commercials.

I hear that "don't tell me what to doooo..." song in my sleep.

Why would the NFL network be trying to appeal to the general audience?

And if they run that show for 2 hours 5 days a week, that still gives them 22 hours every day to rabble on about bullshit.

Why would the NFL network be trying to appeal to the general audience?

And if they run that show for 2 hours 5 days a week, that still gives them 22 hours every day to rabble on about bullshit.
Because they want more money?

Listen, I'm with you, but sadly they didn't ask me.

...yet.

Because they want more money?

Listen, I'm with you, but sadly they didn't ask me.

...yet.

Does not compute. The general audience simply won't turn to the NFL network. Perhaps if it was situated right between CBS and NBC on one of those old fashioned dials, but otherwise only those interested in the NFL seek out its proprietery network.

Really, their decision making was "no one is watching but diehards, and they'll watch shit".

Of course. But even beyond the similarity between Moss/Dillon and Haynesworth are these facts:

1) Multiple former players have come out and said they were genuinely afraid of the guy.

2) He would read papers during team meetings, be asked not to and just look down and keep reading.

3) He has stated that he doesn't want to be coached during the games.

4) He patently refused to do anything but rush the QB on 3rd down nickle plays in Washington.

Nobody likes cheering for a thug, but there's a whole lot of football related issues as well.

I'm pretty sure #1 applied to Corey Dillon as well. As for the other three, I'd weigh those more towards his being on the woeful Redskins, being asked to do what he's not geared towards doing (NT), and being lazy because of a fatcat contract. Hopefully, being on the Patriots (and not a losing team and a loser organization), and being under Belichick's scrutiny, and playing to earn a future paycheck (rather than living off the laurels of a huge contract) will make the difference for him.

I have low expectations. If ALL he does is STFU and rush the passer on third, he'll already be worth the money if he can even approach the dominance he showed in Tennessee in those brief situations.

Does not compute. The general audience simply won't turn to the NFL network. Perhaps if it was situated right between CBS and NBC on one of those old fashioned dials, but otherwise only those interested in the NFL seek out its proprietery network.
Are you suggesting that normal people don't watch the NFLN 2-3 hours a day even during the offseason?

I just don't believe that. Next you'll be telling me that normal people don't DVR combine footage to get their draft boards ready.

:harumph:

Were those plays from this past year? Or did he dig up footage from Albert's heyday and prove that it won't translate to NE very well?

If it is from Washington, I can't put a whole lot of stock into it. Motivation is an enormous factor when you are killing yourself every 30 seconds.

This. Yeah, AH laid down famously on that play. But how many routes did Randy Moss run lazily before he came to New England?

If there's even one iota of pride in AH's body, playing for Belichick as a Patriot should bring out the best in him. And, for AH, if "the best" means no police arrests or NFL suspensions, I'm fine with it. I don't need to see him working the soup kitchen or being a Big Brother or rescuing kittens from trees. We have plenty of those guys.

I would like Sapp much more if there were less of him. I know that sounds strange but he works far better in smaller doses than he does as the main analyst.

Dukes...occasionally he makes a halfway decent point but more often than not he generates that "wtf?" look from me.

As to Haynesworth, the worst case scenario is that he behaves through training camp to make the roster and then turns into the turd I think he is once the season starts. Because then you're stuck paying him.

Of course all you can do is hope for the best.

Yeah, there is that...but even if, we're only on the hook for $5 mil I think that's worth the gamble. He won't get an opportunity to be a cancer because coach will cut his ass before that happens.

Yeah, there is that...but even if, we're only on the hook for $5 mil I think that's worth the gamble. He won't get an opportunity to be a cancer because coach will cut his ass before that happens.

Yes. Considering what they sunk into Adalius Thomas, and the draft picks they've given up recently for crap (e.g. Derrick Burgess), a 5th and five mill is chump change. It's the equivalent of Belichick and Kraft dropping a black chip on red at Foxwoods and it comes up black. They go, "Eh, worth a try," and wander off ot the next table. It's not like we're paying him $100M or something. (Sorry, Redskins. I know that was low of me, LOL.)

If I go back to January when the Jets rolled into Foxboro and Haynesworth happens to be standing on the sideline suited up in a Pats uniform, do I leave him standing there because he's not a high character guy or do I tell him to go wipe the grin off Sanchez' face?

Easy. "Go take his head off, Albert."

I vote 1.

Dillon, Moss, ... now Haynesworth. Let's hope Bill's reclamation rating remains high.

Warren Sapp was breaking down some film on NFLN last night and it did not look good at all.

However, Jamie Dukes was a BIG fan of the trade. So you've got that going for you.

Depends what film they were breaking down because in Washington, Shanny tried to make him a nose guard which he isnt and changed the whole defense from a 4-3 to a 3-4 and they went from a top 10 defense to almost last. Shanny just picked the biggest kid in the schoolyard and fought him.

We have Vince so Haynesworth can just pull his ears back and rush the passer...like he should have been doing his whole carreer.

Were those plays from this past year? Or did he dig up footage from Albert's heyday and prove that it won't translate to NE very well?

If it is from Washington, I can't put a whole lot of stock into it. Motivation is an enormous factor when you are killing yourself every 30 seconds.
My bad.

This.

Depends what film they were breaking down because in Washington, Shanny tried to make him a nose guard which he isnt and changed the whole defense from a 4-3 to a 3-4 and they went from a top 10 defense to almost last. Shanny just picked the biggest kid in the schoolyard and fought him.

We have Vince so Haynesworth can just pull his ears back and rush the passer...like he should have been doing his whole carreer.
Have you actually looked at his numbers? In 7 years in TN he had 24 sacks. That's slightly over 3 a year. 14.5 of those came in his contract year and the year before (8.5 and 6 respectively). Hell the 4 he had his first year in Washington was his 3rd highest in a season.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/H/HaynAl20.htm

EDIT: The more I look at it, his first year in washington was one of his most productive seasons.

Really, their decision making was "no one is watching but diehards, and they'll watch shit".

Considering ESPN is running X Games and ESPN2 is running Champions Tour Golf this afternoon during one of the most hectic FA signing periods in all of sports - I suspect that lots more people are tuning into NFLN.

And will just stick there as a result, since ESPN is dropping the ball, big time.

Considering ESPN is running X Games and ESPN2 is running Champions Tour Golf this afternoon during one of the most hectic FA signing periods in all of sports - I suspect that lots more people are tuning into NFLN.

And will just stick there as a result, since ESPN is dropping the ball, big time.

Yes, right now. I was talking about during the offseason.

And I still think those turning to NFLN are doing so because they are interested in the NFL. :archive:

Back