Poll: Predict Tom Brady's Future

What lies in Tom Brady's future as a QB?

• He'll be back to play for the Pats next year.

Votes: 30 57.7%
  • He'll play QB for another team as yet undetermined.

Votes: 14 26.9%
  • He's done with this part of his career and will retire.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • He'll never voluntarily retire until forced to by injury or other force beyond his control

Votes: 3 5.8%
  • Other: If you select this option, you have to say WHAT it will be.

Votes: 5 9.6%

• Total voters

oldbagfan

No touchy
Reaction score
:crystal: Never too early/late to play this game. All things considered, what do you think lies in the GOAT's football future?

I voted other. I think the Pats will sign him up for a couple of years. But he only plays a few games for the Pats next season, and gets traded for a 3rd round pick at the trading deadline, which will piss a lot of people off. And the Pats re-stock for 2021.

I chose other - I hope that Brady provides Kraft an ultimatum - Me or BB ! I just cannot get over the punishment in ALL 17 games this season that Brady took when BB could have fixed it like he's done the past 20 friggan years.

I am sorry but I watched BB watch Brady take a literal bashing every single game this season. Some games were almost as bad as the 1st Giants SB game, but not quite. Why BB did that to Brady I cannot fathom but seeing is believing.

If Tom went the ultimatum way, this would really through the who's who on Tom and if Kraft had the balls to get rid of BB, then Brady could FINALLY answer the question of - Is BB, TFB, or both the root cause of the Pats team success over the past 20 years.

The last question here is how much did McD actually contribute because he is ONLY a HC for the Pats and will NEVER EVER be successful HC on any other team and has 1 black mark against him already after Broncos and then shoving it up Colts arse for grins. With BB, Judge, McD all gone next year 2020 and the right FA & Draft picks, and it friggan MUST be OL REAL HEAVY WITH ADEQUATE DEPTH.

Looking forward to seeing what actually materials this coming offf season....

i chose other - i hope that brady provides kraft an ultimatum - me or bb ! I just cannot get over the punishment in all 17 games this season that brady took when bb could have fixed it like he's done the past 20 friggan years.

I am sorry but i watched bb watch brady take a literal bashing every single game this season. Some games were almost as bad as the 1st giants sb game, but not quite. Why bb did that to brady i cannot fathom but seeing is believing.

If tom went the ultimatum way, this would really through the who's who on tom and if kraft had the balls to get rid of bb, then brady could finally answer the question of - is bb, tfb, or both the root cause of the pats team success over the past 20 years.

The last question here is how much did mcd actually contribute because he is only a hc for the pats and will never ever be successful hc on any other team and has 1 black mark against him already after broncos and then shoving it up colts arse for grins. With bb, judge, mcd all gone next year 2020 and the right fa & draft picks, and it friggan must be ol real heavy with adequate depth.

Looking forward to seeing what actually materials this coming offf season....

BB all day/everyday...

:shrug:

Caveat: There's no use signing Brady unless your goal is to win a SB.

The problems with signing TB as I see it:
Age - It's eventually going to hit if it hasn't begun already
Salary -
$13M owed him over the next 2 years PLUS
$20M minimum/year for year 1 and
$20M minimum for year 2 =
$53M for 2 years = $26.5M/. That's a lot of money for his 2019 production. But there's this...with weapons, he'd have done better.

The 2 Year Plan.

If you bring TB back it follows that you have to get him some veteran WR & TE weapons through FA or trades since adding rookies won't help him.

A trade for OBJ would cost at least a 1st round pick + $15M/ in salary for 4 years if the Browns would trade him. The bright side is that OBJ's $38M signing bonus has already been paid but that's a lot of capital to spend for another diva WR who is trying hard to be a boy scout in Cleveland.

Or sign a FA WR. The pickings are slim but there are some options.

FA WRs
1. Amari Cooper, Dal. He's a very productive X WR. For Dallas in 2019 he had 80 catches, 1200 yards and 8 TDs in 16 games played. He's had over 1000 yds in 4 of his 5 years played and averages 7 TDs/year. He's expected to command $14M/ and Jerruh is playing hard ball with him. He's a possibility.

Let's compare these 2...OBJ and a 1st rnd pick or Amari Cooper? Each will cost $14-15M/. I'm not thinking BB will be excited by either one bc of $$.

Let's keep looking.
Other 2020 FAs for comparison:

2. Emmanuel Sanders, SF. OMG yes 6 years ago but he's 33 now and not the same player. He's done well with JimmyG in Shanahan's offense so I'm guessing SF re-signs him for $6-8M/ for 2-3 years.

3. Robby Anderson, Jete. Yeah, I know, he's a lightening rod for trouble and, like AB, he creates a lot on his own, but he's also the kind of X WR the Pats need for Brady. He's dynamic, durable, fast and more than capable of demanding S help in coverage. He'll cost around $9M/ for 65 recs, 1000 yds and 5-6 TDs.

4. AJ Green. Child please.
5. Breshad Perriman, TB. Ugh. Ok, well, he has 1500 yds and 11 TDs in his 4 year career with TB but 1/3 of that is from this year when he finally caught on after disappointing for 3 years. He's expected to command $5M in FA.

6. Randall Cobb, Dal. He was a superstar in 2014 & got paid with GB before multiple minor injuries derailed his production. He's only 29, turning 30 this spring, and for $5M this year he gave the Cowboys 55 catches, 850 yds and 3 TDs plus he played in 15 games for them. That's rare for him. He's expected to command $6.5M/. He'd be a gamble bc of health but we all know BB loves a good gamble.

There you have the proven FA options who could help the Pats.

Add Brady's $26.5M and one of the X WRs above = $33.5-41.5M (and a 1st rnd pick if you trade for OBJ).

Now add a FA TE.
1a. Austin Hooper, Atl. 6'4", 260. 25 years old. Very athletic hands catcher who has improved every year though out his rookie contract. He's willing & better than avg as an inline blocker, too. For 2019 he had 75 catches for 800 yds and 6 TDs. He's faster than prime Gronk but not as big a catch radius. Dependable for 1st downs. He runs a beautiful seam route. What I like about him is that he's driven to improve and has improved quite a bit every year. He'll command in the $8M/ vicinity.
1b. Hunter Henry, SD. 6'5", 255. 25 years old. Mackie award winner for Arkansas in 2015. Very good blocker with great hand use. Speed is good & similar to Hooper's speed, maybe a little bit faster than Hooper. Runs very good routes with good technique. 9.25" hands which is a little small for his size and 32.5" arms; Hooper's hands are 10.625" and he has 33.5" arms for a better radius. Henry had 55 catches for 650 yards and 5 TDs for the Chargers this year. Injuries: concussion his rookie year, a tibial fracture and an ACL tear 2 years ago. None indicate he's an injury risk imo. He'll command $7M/.

I like both of these guys for the Pats if they can be signed.

3. Jacob Hollister, Sea. Yep. Why can't we find guys like this?

That's it for FA TEs.

In summary, for the Pats to bring back TB & use FA for weapons it will cost Brady's $26.5M + $9-15M for a WR (and a 1st rnd pick if OBJ) + a TE's $7-8M = $40-49M vs the $13.5M cap hit if Brady leaves.

In doing so, you're hoping for fewer injuries all around, especially with the OL, so there's a gamble there, realizing last year was horrendous for injuries. A regression to the norm can be reasonably expected. KVN and Jamie Collins will probably be lost to FA. They will have to be replaced whether TB is re-signed or not. BB can do that. Then Thuney has to be re-signed or replaced which won't be done easily. Draft picks can shore up the trenches, the S position and any other positions of need can be filled through FA or the draft as per usual.

Doing all this, signing a FA X WR and a FA TE, along with Brady should give us a shot to play in another SB in the next 2 years.

The Long Range Plan.

The alternative is to let TB leave and use the $27-36M that would save (the cost of TB, a FA X WR and a TE from above) and use that money to sign Thuney, possibly KVN & Collins and for upgrades along the OL (Cannon & OC if Andrews can't go) with the goal of switching to a ram-it-down-the-gut running game to help Stidham succeed. BB can find a horse RB to carry the rock & the draft can provide a speedy X WR and a TE or 2 to develop right along with Stidham. This is a more long range plan in my mind but could pay huge dividends sooner than one might think.

Bottom line - both plans can work out.

All that said, I have no idea what BB will want to do. My gut tells me he'd choose the long range plan every time given a choice. What about Kraft? He loves TB like a son. As a businessman Kraft thinks long range just like BB. I believe that BB and Caserio could sell Kraft on their long range plan but it won't be easy. Kraft will want a business plan for TB's 2 additional years here and for the next 2 years after TB is gone. That's a different story and would require a lot of time to write but maybe that would work, too. Tears will be shed. And I still have no freaking idea what's going to happen.

:crystal: Never too early/late to play this game. All things considered, what do you think lies in the GOAT's football future?

It was years ago when I sat down and refused to play anymore. :shrug:

Cheers, BostonTim

Cap Space=$28,409,211@patscap

My Patriots 2020 adjusted cap no of $202,653,198 minus $174,243,987 in total cap commitments = $28,409,211 in cap space. I have Tom Brady with being $13.5M on the Patriots 2020 cap. Why is my number smaller than others? 1.) incentives 2.) PPE 3.) 55 players not 47 4.) Brady

$9M of that will be needed for the draft class. Pats cap will change as players leave, etc. but we have a lot of FA decisions to make. Brady, KVN and Thuney decisions are at the top of the list.

Hey Bugs. Your "retire" vote doesn't show up? Voted on the astral plane?
:huh:

odd.... I thought I picked it last night before posting. must not have hit the VOTE button thing.

and now I just picked OTHER... doh!

I voted "Other".

I can see a couple of scenarios here...but really, it all depends on Kraft.

I'll just throw one out there....

Brady gets signed.

Brady does not show for OTA's.

Bill has 2 or 3 QB's in OTA's, competing for a job.

Brady shows up for mandatory summer camp.

Bill has an open competition for the QB position.....and from there...who knows...but I know Brady will not play backup QB...he'll either win the job, or retire.

We have a tough road ahead. Limited cap space and multiple FAs.... I don't think Bill wants to commit big $$ to a 43 yo QB, it would weaken too many other parts of the roster.

We have a tough road ahead. Limited cap space and multiple FAs.... I don't think Bill wants to commit big $$ to a 43 yo QB, it would weaken too many other parts of the roster.

Depends on if this is a we want to win the superbowl, or if we want to rebuild for 5 years down the road. I believe Brady's cap hit this year would be 13 mil...

I hope Brady stays. But if he doesn’t a small part of me will enjoy seeing BB get absolutely exposed next season. I’d be blown away if the Pats win the division without Tom next year. BB made the decision to stick with Tom over Bledsoe. That’s huge, and took balls. Outside of that though I believe he’s the most overrated coach of all time.

i hope brady stays. But if he doesn’t a small part of me will enjoy seeing bb get absolutely exposed next season. I’d be blown away if the pats win the division without tom next year. Bb made the decision to stick with tom over bledsoe. That’s huge, and took balls. Outside of that though i believe he’s the most overrated coach of all time.

wtf?

Definitely. I’m not saying he’s not good. Or even not great. But everyone acts like Belichick is god. It’s gone to his head, and it’s been a problem for years. It’s time for him to retire. He’s blown 90 percent of the first and second round picks the last decade. His game plans the second half of this season have been downright awful, and his personal decisions all year ignored clear problems that were absolutely glaring. His ego is a huge problem. He is not a god, and he’s treated as one/acts as though he believes it, and so yes I think he’s overrated.

And if Brady doesn’t come back this team is absolutely f.... ed

I hope Brady stays. But if he doesn’t a small part of me will enjoy seeing BB get absolutely exposed next season. I’d be blown away if the Pats win the division without Tom next year. BB made the decision to stick with Tom over Bledsoe. That’s huge, and took balls. Outside of that though I believe he’s the most overrated coach of all time.

I agree with you especially from a player development perspective. BB coaching staff has principally been responsible for player development i.e. SCAR-DL/OL, Patricia-D, Judge-ST, Pees-D, O'Brien-OC, McD-OC, etc. BB is suppose to be a D GURU but his real focus is on front 7 and he _or Stevie) has ZERO secondary expertise. Without DB/CB/SSorFS experience Pats this year showed how they wilted late in the season.

As I've previously said, get rid of BB (10M off payroll), bring TFB back, get some decent OL, WRs, TEs, 1 Power Back if Develin is not 100%, new K if Gost is not 100% healthy & consistent, DBs 6'1" that can play M-2-M press coverage and get the hell away from give it all zone coverage. Pats play this way mostly because their D coaching staff does not know how to correctly play that position and BB thinks that small dwarfts can auto-play this position, so how bout we get real!!! :stirpot:

Back