"Positionless Football"

Flagg the Wanderer

Mourning Algernon
Reaction score
So this is a phrase I've heard come up a few times, I think exclusively in the context of the back 7-8 in the defense. Presumably this means a lot of CB/S hybrids, LB/S hybrids, CBs who are strong against the run, coverage backers, and ability to bring pressure from a wide variety of positions apart from the 2-3 interior linemen.

Mills and Bryant both fit as CB/S hybrids, and McCourty in a pinch, though not as much now as 7-8 years ago, for sure.
Dugger and Peppers both fit as LB/S hybrids, and you can maybe throw Phillips into that box as well.
The name of our new fast, coverage LB escapes me ATM, but he strikes me as a move in this direction as well.
We know Peppers and Bryant both have skills rushing the passer from DB spots.

Anyone know anything about this schematically? Is it primarily a matter of obscuring the QB's read for as long as possible (increasing the uncertainty around who will have what responsibility) or is there a greater schematic framework that I should know about? Any reference material I can go to? Does this have any terminology specific to it that I can search?

Situational football is best played with multi-positional hybrid players. Not positionless. No such thing exists.

In one of the draft guide they refer to Kyle Hamilton as positionless.Yet he's ranked #1 on their big board. I take it to mean that he could be used in a number of positions depending on the style of Defense that the team that drafts him uses.

In one of the draft guide they refer to Kyle Hamilton as positionless.Yet he's ranked #1 on their big board. I take it to mean that he could be used in a number of positions depending on the style of Defense that the team that drafts him uses.
It's the new word for hybrid

Without too deep of a dive, is this any different than when we drafted Tebucky Jones planning to run the "Big Nickel" back in the 90s? Just an evolution of the concept?

So this is a phrase I've heard come up a few times, I think exclusively in the context of the back 7-8 in the defense. Presumably this means a lot of CB/S hybrids, LB/S hybrids, CBs who are strong against the run, coverage backers, and ability to bring pressure from a wide variety of positions apart from the 2-3 interior linemen.

Mills and Bryant both fit as CB/S hybrids, and McCourty in a pinch, though not as much now as 7-8 years ago, for sure.
Dugger and Peppers both fit as LB/S hybrids, and you can maybe throw Phillips into that box as well.
The name of our new fast, coverage LB escapes me ATM, but he strikes me as a move in this direction as well.
We know Peppers and Bryant both have skills rushing the passer from DB spots.

Anyone know anything about this schematically? Is it primarily a matter of obscuring the QB's read for as long as possible (increasing the uncertainty around who will have what responsibility) or is there a greater schematic framework that I should know about? Any reference material I can go to? Does this have any terminology specific to it that I can search?

It's a really good question. What if we're planning on doing something cutting edge which we've never done before? That would maybe explain the Peppers/Mac Wilson moves.

It's intriguing, but the problem I keep running into is that we presently do not have enough speed on the flanks to defend the long ball. Yet.

It would seem to be a lock that our top selection would be a speedy corner, i.e. Booth, but we've seen multiple examples of certain positions that seemed to be
a crying need go unaddressed, or under addressed in the off-season, i.e. the Reche Caldwell era.

I dunno. Patience, I guess. We still have a ways to go.

BB should draft really big, tall, fast WR's that can block...then they can swap out the TE's...and be that sort of player on offense.

It is a good concept.

I remember reading a "guru" football draft magazine a long time ago that said all of the "tweeners" and "hybrid" players were worthless to the smart football teams because they never had a primary strength. LMAO. How stupid is THAT view?

Way back when I played Madden, I always created a kicker in franchise mode that had max kicking power and 50 rating accuracy. He had max throwing power, accuracy, speed, break tackles, elusiveness, power/strength, and football intelligence...which would never raise his overall rating. In franchise mode, you have a salary cap, so, basically, I created a HOF QB...but, he was considered a backup kicker. At minimum cost.

I would also create:
  • TEs that were super fast, with a tackle rating of 99...then swap them for either DEs or linebackers at a fraction of the cost.
  • Fast Olinemen that had low blocking ratings to lower the cost...but max out their tackling...and also vice versa with the dlinemen and swap them out.
  • Tall CBs that could catch with a 99 rating, and convert them into WRs.
  • Tall, fast, SSs that could catch with a 99 rating and convert them into TEs.

My cost for the team would make the Bungles owner VERY jealous! This was before they put the salary cap floor thing.

Madden franchise had a few cool loopholes...

Back